Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Dutch

Feb 11, 2006
Amsterdam
Just recollecting my time working in Holland. we used to drive over on a Monday morning and if we didn’t get there in time for the 9am meeting they’d do it in Dutch. We stayed in a company house during the week and drove home on a Friday. One thing that I could never get used to was the Dutch toilets
View attachment 164675
Ahhh. The shit shelf. Luckily they're becoming less and less common!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The various Dutch towns are probably having their "Wakes Week"?

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Just recollecting my time working in Holland. we used to drive over on a Monday morning and if we didn’t get there in time for the 9am meeting they’d do it in Dutch. We stayed in a company house during the week and drove home on a Friday. One thing that I could never get used to was the Dutch toilets
View attachment 164675
A bit undecided on this. On the one hand you've got minimal splashback. On the other I'm imagining extensive skidding and/or stranded logs.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Do you still have Isabelle O'Lacy goods in the supermarkets? When I lived/studied/drunk over there for six months, we lived on her tins and jams and stuff. The cheap stauff was okay, but if her picture included a horse - we always reckoned that was the 'premium' product!
O'Lacy, that's a name that goes back. Used to be the "house" brand of Jumbo supermarkets. They simplified it some (>10) years ago and rebranded it as Jumbo own label.

So technically yes, the goods do still exist. They are just not labelled as O'Lacy any more...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
A bit undecided on this. On the one hand you've got minimal splashback. On the other I'm imagining extensive skidding and/or stranded logs.
The joke that used to go around in my early days, referring to the infamous (if not totally true) Dutch frugality, was that if a Dutch person accidentally swallowed a stuiver (5 cent coin) they'd be able to retrieve it again...

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
The Dutch love travelling. They are always on the road whenever I go to France, and on the campsites. Perhaps it's because their own land is flat and boring, so when on holiday, they like to visit somewhere interesting?
The Dutch love their caravans. If you ask the French who are the worst tourists, it isn't the Brits...
The joke that used to go around in my early days, referring to the infamous (if not totally true) Dutch frugality, was that if a Dutch person accidentally swallowed a stuiver (5 cent coin) they'd be able to retrieve it again...

We have an app here for money transfers called Tikkie. I've been asked to contribute 40c before towards a 5 euro bill, the reputation is very fair.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
could be following in these car tyres ?

Attachments

• a272.PNG
    a272.PNG
    255.9 KB · Views: 25

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The Dutch love their caravans. If you ask the French who are the worst tourists, it isn't the Brits...

We have an app here for money transfers called Tikkie. I've been asked to contribute 40c before towards a 5 euro bill, the reputation is very fair.
The Dutch caravaners' bad reputation among the French is because they always take all their food and drink with them and rarely spend any money with the locals, so I guess that does also reinforce the frugality.

But I think it's more of a northern Dutch/Hollander thing. I've never personally experienced anything like the "40 cent Tikkie" in all my 35 years of living with the Dutch from 'Below the Rivers' - people are more generous down here!

(And yes, from down here, Utrecht is 'oop north'...!)

Feb 11, 2006
Amsterdam

They learn that from an early age. It's not unusual for kids to frequently send Tikkie's for 25 cents.

Feb 11, 2006
Amsterdam
The Dutch caravaners' bad reputation among the French is because they always take all their food and drink with them and rarely spend any money with the locals, so I guess that does also reinforce the frugality.

But I think it's more of a northern Dutch/Hollander thing. I've never personally experienced anything like the "40 cent Tikkie" in all my 35 years of living with the Dutch from 'Below the Rivers' - people are more generous down here!

Sounds like it's time for me to become a Southerner again!

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

As @orange zeemeeuw said, I think it is definitely a younger person thing to do. Of course, some people don't bother but there's plenty that do and almost exclusively these are from Dutch friends and colleagues.

Could very well be a case of if someone celebrates Carnaval or not. Lived in both Den Haag and Utrecht and everyone here loves a good Tikkie!

If either you or @orange zeemeeuw are interested, some of us living over here get together for games. 2 of us in Utrecht, 2 from Deventer, 1 from Amsterdam and 1 from Nijmegen. PM me and I can add you to the Whatsapp group. Occasionally some of them drive over for games too. Mix of ages too.

Feb 11, 2006
Amsterdam
As @orange zeemeeuw said, I think it is definitely a younger person thing to do. Of course, some people don't bother but there's plenty that do and almost exclusively these are from Dutch friends and colleagues.

Could very well be a case of if someone celebrates Carnaval or not. Lived in both Den Haag and Utrecht and everyone here loves a good Tikkie!

If either you or @orange zeemeeuw are interested, some of us living over here get together for games. 2 of us in Utrecht, 2 from Deventer, 1 from Amsterdam and 1 from Nijmegen. PM me and I can add you to the Whatsapp group. Occasionally some of them drive over for games too. Mix of ages too.
I'll send you a DM. I'm going over for the Newcastle game (and bought too many tickets!). That reminds me...I need to renew my Viaplay subscription!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do you still have Isabelle O'Lacy goods in the supermarkets? When I lived/studied/drunk over there for six months, we lived on her tins and jams and stuff. The cheap stauff was okay, but if her picture included a horse - we always reckoned that was the 'premium' product!
Did you try hamster jam?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here