Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Dutch

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Well obviously it's much cheaper than it used to be thanks to us deliberately tanking our economy.
The Dutch also seem to be relatively outdoorsy and not into sun worshipping so our relatively temperate climate is quite desirable compared to the heat death across much of Europe.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Dutch love travelling. They are always on the road whenever I go to France, and on the campsites. Perhaps it's because their own land is flat and boring, so when on holiday, they like to visit somewhere interesting?

Dec 29, 2011
The Dutch love travelling. They are always on the road whenever I go to France, and on the campsites. Perhaps it's because their own land is flat and boring, so when on holiday, they like to visit somewhere interesting?
I've travelled extensively and Dutch are always the most represented nation. For such a small population it's quite impressive, I'm sure they have more people abroad than at home at any given time.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You can buy them here. They sell Sea Salt and Vinegar Kettle "chips" in my local Albert Heijn supermarket. I am a regular customer of said items.

'Tis true they were a scarce item until 20 years ago or so...
Do you still have Isabelle O'Lacy goods in the supermarkets? When I lived/studied/drunk over there for six months, we lived on her tins and jams and stuff. The cheap stauff was okay, but if her picture included a horse - we always reckoned that was the 'premium' product!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The EU only lifted covid travel bans for the Dutch in September 2022 so I guess they have all started travelling again. They like the U.K. for our walking. Especially the South Downs.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Having holidayed with Dutch folk since a child in France and since working over there and visiting for pleasure, they are some of the happiest, coolest and most friendly people around! The Dutch plates on UK roads are nothing new, they’ve been coming here for years! (The crisp thing may have started it 😂)

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Having holidayed with Dutch folk since a child in France and since working over there and visiting for pleasure, they are some of the happiest, coolest and most friendly people around! The Dutch plates on UK roads are nothing new, they’ve been coming here for years! (The crisp thing may have started it 😂)
Yeah lived and worked with some Dutch people years ago - great people overall. I guess it's nothing new really but it really seems there's a lot more this year. I guess the UK being cheaper for them now is a good reason for increased numbers!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yeah lived and worked with some Dutch people years ago - great people overall. I guess it's nothing new really but it really seems there's a lot more this year. I guess the UK being cheaper for them now is a good reason for increased numbers!
Brexit Bonus?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Just recollecting my time working in Holland. we used to drive over on a Monday morning and if we didn’t get there in time for the 9am meeting they’d do it in Dutch. We stayed in a company house during the week and drove home on a Friday. One thing that I could never get used to was the Dutch toilets
IMG_0504.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well obviously it's much cheaper than it used to be thanks to us deliberately tanking our economy.
The Dutch also seem to be relatively outdoorsy and not into sun worshipping so our relatively temperate climate is quite desirable compared to the heat death across much of Europe.

There’s something in that. Some tourism businesses on the continent have opted for post lockdowns greedflation, personally we’ve seen hikes of 30% to 50% in a single year in Austria, similar in France. Whilst UK hoteliers are desparate for business post pandemic, R4 You & Yours covered this.

It’s not the exchange rate which is marginally down in 13 years, and record numbers of Brits are holidaying overseas. Per capita similar to the Dutch.

IMG_0271.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here