Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Only ever heard it used for Mr Uppity.

mrmen.jpg

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A quick search on an online corpus (this one is based on 560 million words written between 1990 and 2017) shows which words most commonly follow uppity:

Screenshot_20200111-105117~2.png

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Most presenters are like this nowadays, the cast of loose women for example

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Ghastly. I always thought he was cut from the same bolt of cloth as someone like Titchmarsh. Not at all. Nasty man.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I had no idea that suggesting that someone was “uppity” was in any way rascist

it isnt. if americans use it in that way, thats their language, we arent american. or do we redefine pants, fanny, all manner of other alternative meanings?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
it isnt. if americans use it in that way, thats their language, we arent american. or do we redefine pants, fanny, all manner of other alternative meanings?
Good point.

Clearly Roger Hargreaves isn't a racist ******* after all.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

American and British English are not discrete entities and just because you're unaware of something, doesn't mean it's not a thing. Like it or not, uppity strongly collocates with both woman/women and black(s) or variations thereof. Ergo, calling a black woman uppity is clearly controversial, whether intentionally offensive or not.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
American and British English are not discrete entities and just because you're unaware of something, doesn't mean it's not a thing. Like it or not, uppity strongly collocates with both woman/women and black(s) or variations thereof. Ergo, calling a black woman uppity is clearly controversial, whether intentionally offensive or not.

However perhaps the person being offended needs to be educated that in this country the term is not deemed a racist comment and has never been and relates somebody to being arrogant. Works both ways especially as the comment was made here.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Like all languages, words develop their meanings over time. “Uppity” in my book has always meant a reference to someone who believes they are better than their peers. I will continue to use this as my definition. If the PC brigade want to do their usual bit of looking to find the best definition they can find to suit their agenda and try to slaughter anyone who thinks differently, then I might describe them as Uppity.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
However perhaps the person being offended needs to be educated that in this country the term is not deemed a racist comment and has never been and relates somebody to being arrogant. Works both ways especially as the comment was made here.

Like all languages, words develop their meanings over time. “Uppity” in my book has always meant a reference to someone who believes they are better than their peers. I will continue to use this as my definition. If the PC brigade want to do their usual bit of looking to find the best definition they can find to suit their agenda and try to slaughter anyone who thinks differently, then I might describe them as Uppity.

You can do what you want. I'd suggest that you avoid using it to describe black Americans due to the historical context. Hopefully, that's not too tricky :smile:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You can do what you want. I'd suggest that you avoid using it to describe black Americans due to the historical context. Hopefully, that's not too tricky :smile:

I will continue to use in the context it is meant within the English language as spoken and written in this country, hopefully, that's not too tricky as in this country it doesn't have racist undertones. If an American lady has a problem I explain it is NOT racist.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough

If avoiding this obscure reference is one of the rules that you suggest people live by, then you must have a very long list of rules. It is hypervigilence like this that is driving otherwise decent people to hate the oppressive beast that political correctness has become. We must get away from this - the list of thngs people can do or say is becoming exhaustive, and for what purpose? So that some obscure person who decides to find offence (usually not even from the minority supposedly offended) can be placated? ITV should not even have responded - it just encourages the professionally offended to look for things to placate their own psychological issues, and also detracts from any discussion of any important issues that the topic warrants. See how it has drailed this thread down a chicane for a while; happens a lot.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If avoiding this obscure reference is one of the rules that you suggest people live by, then you must have a very long list of rules. It is hypervigilence like this that is driving otherwise decent people to hate the oppressive beast that political correctness has become. We must get away from this - the list of thngs people can do or say is becoming exhaustive, and for what purpose? So that some obscure person who decides to find offence (usually not even from the minority supposedly offended) can be placated? ITV should not even have responded - it just encourages the professionally offended to look for things to placate their own psychological issues, and also detracts from any discussion of any important issues that the topic warrants. See how it has drailed this thread down a chicane for a while; happens a lot.

I wouldn't say it's particularly obscure and have data to back that up. You don't need to be hyper-vigilant to be aware of American English, not to mention US culture and history.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

thats just the trouble, its very tricky to know every phrase and idiom that might be offensive in a foreign land, in social context we have no exposure to. especially with an uncommon word. uppity means self important, nothing more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports