Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Detectives: Taking down an OCG (BBC 2)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Two and a half years for the main boss!?
Laundering millions and I worry when an old lady gives me £20!?..

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Two and a half years for the main boss!?
Laundering millions and I worry when an old lady gives me £20!?..

From what the coppers were saying towards the end 3 years was the most they could have hoped for, so it sounds like the sentencing guidelines tied the judges hand some what. Plus the discount applied for the guilty plea reduced the length of the prison term.

From a quick glance at the guidelines it looks like it’s dependent on how much money they can prove has been laundered, with longer sentences the more money they can find.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they were still looking into the bloke and trying to find more of the money trail so he can be further charged if more evidence comes to light.

Very sad ending to the story tho. Got to feel for the young lad and his family, he showed tremendous bravery in stepping up and giving evidence so it’s horrible it’s ended like this.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
From what the coppers were saying towards the end 3 years was the most they could have hoped for, so it sounds like the sentencing guidelines tied the judges hand some what. Plus the discount applied for the guilty plea reduced the length of the prison term.

From a quick glance at the guidelines it looks like it’s dependent on how much money they can prove has been laundered, with longer sentences the more money they can find.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they were still looking into the bloke and trying to find more of the money trail so he can be further charged if more evidence comes to light.

Very sad ending to the story tho. Got to feel for the young lad and his family, he showed tremendous bravery in stepping up and giving evidence so it’s horrible it’s ended like this.
Even the helpful WPC got off all charges, something very much a miss there ???

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Even the helpful WPC got off all charges, something very much a miss there ???

I was surprised by that too, but then we obviously haven’t seen everything the CPS did when making charging decisions. Probably even more surprising was the fact that even an internal inquiry took no disciplinary action either.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This, it sounds like he took his own life, the police said his death was not suspicious, if it was an illness they would have said after a short battle with or something similar. PTSD can have a massive impact on peoples lives, rest in peace Cameron.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Maybe she cooperated and gave them info to save her career ?
Wouldn't work like that. Even if there was some sort of deal that done that meant criminal charges were not brought against her, that wouldnt have prevented or stopped internal investigation. 2 very separate things and contrary to what you might believe from the press of your own conscious/unconscious bias, once the police (professional standards branch/anti-corruption unit) know there is a 'bent copper' in the ranks they are dealt with robustly. There are corrupt police officers out the undoubtedly, but once they are known about they are dealt with. You cannot knowing allow dishonest or corrupt police to continue to work as it undermines the whole legitimacy of law and order. I have inside knowledge - and not just from watching Line of Duty.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Wouldn't work like that. Even if there was some sort of deal that done that meant criminal charges were not brought against her, that wouldnt have prevented or stopped internal investigation. 2 very separate things and contrary to what you might believe from the press of your own conscious/unconscious bias, once the police (professional standards branch/anti-corruption unit) know there is a 'bent copper' in the ranks they are dealt with robustly. There are corrupt police officers out the undoubtedly, but once they are known about they are dealt with. You cannot knowing allow dishonest or corrupt police to continue to work as it undermines the whole legitimacy of law and order. I have inside knowledge - and not just from watching Line of Duty.
Now the coppers in that 7 person group were bloody brilliant. Taking on the bigboys of the criminal underworld despite threats to their own security and safety. They deserve much respect. Such a shame we have so many bent, dishonest, incompetent coppers.

Given the shedload of bad publicity in recent years (most of it thoroughly deserved) I'm a bit surprised that they left the bent woman copper hanging. It would have been reassuring to know that she had got banged up too.

The OCG were criminals. The woman was an OCG member who had managed to disguise herself as a serving police officer. Surely that should have meant extra jail time - not a free pass. Completely concealing her identity when she was bang to rights does leave a bit of a bad taste.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I've only just watched the first episode. It's incredible telly.

Have to feel for the kids who are getting pulled / lured into the orbit of this stuff.
Yes, another variation of vulnerable white children being groomed by individuals from the British Pakistani community. I guess elsewhere in the UK there will be gangs of white and black criminals grooming vulnerable British Pakistani children so no doubt this approach balances itself out?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The OCG were criminals. The woman was an OCG member who had managed to disguise herself as a serving police officer. Surely that should have meant extra jail time - not a free pass. Completely concealing her identity when she was bang to rights does leave a bit of a bad taste.

Probably concealed her identity as any proceedings/action against her hasn’t finished (or maybe even started) yet so don’t want to influence the outcome of any trial.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I disagree. For her not to have been charged, she must have offered something in return. This could well have been discussed and agreed during the internal investigation. None of us knows exactly what happened in this particular case, but given that she was in phone contact with some of the main players in the gang, and hung around in a house where drugs were openly bagged up and dealt, I'd say she became a registered informant and agreed to offer information on the OCG and its operations. She obviously will have lost her job eventually but it's unthinkable that she would avoid prosecution without entering into some sort of agreement that benefited the investigation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here