Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Detectives: Taking down an OCG (BBC 2)

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
The woman was an OCG member who had managed to disguise herself as a serving police officer. Surely that should have meant extra jail time - not a free pass. Completely concealing her identity when she was bang to rights does leave a bit of a bad taste.
There was nothing said about her being a member of the gang. At one point, one of the officers did speculate that she might have been a member tasked with becoming a cop to feed back information but this line of speculative thinking never went anywhere so I have to presume it wasn't the case. As I said in the post above, it's almost certain that she agreed to become a confidential informant for the duration of the investigation and prosecution.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Yes, another variation of vulnerable white children being groomed by individuals from the British Pakistani community. I guess elsewhere in the UK there will be gangs of white and black criminals grooming vulnerable British Pakistani children so no doubt this approach balances itself out?
County lines operations are used by many gangs so chances are, yeah, some British Pakistani children are also being used in this way.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes, another variation of vulnerable white children being groomed by individuals from the British Pakistani community. I guess elsewhere in the UK there will be gangs of white and black criminals grooming vulnerable British Pakistani children so no doubt this approach balances itself out?
I don't know about elsewhere, but they were not exclusively recruiting white kids.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Now the coppers in that 7 person group were bloody brilliant. Taking on the bigboys of the criminal underworld despite threats to their own security and safety. They deserve much respect. Such a shame we have so many bent, dishonest, incompetent coppers.

Given the shedload of bad publicity in recent years (most of it thoroughly deserved) I'm a bit surprised that they left the bent woman copper hanging. It would have been reassuring to know that she had got banged up too.

The OCG were criminals. The woman was an OCG member who had managed to disguise herself as a serving police officer. Surely that should have meant extra jail time - not a free pass. Completely concealing her identity when she was bang to rights does leave a bit of a bad taste.
No charges were brought against her hence they concealed her identity.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This, it sounds like he took his own life, the police said his death was not suspicious, if it was an illness they would have said after a short battle with or something similar. PTSD can have a massive impact on peoples lives, rest in peace Cameron.
Given the way it has been reported it would be respectful not to speculate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Does seem a bit odd about the police officer when it seemed they had been quite involved and phone records suggesting they were contacted on numerous occasions. Compare to the case below where it seems the office just tipped off a friend about an investigation and ended up with over 3 years jail time. Can only assume deals were done.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I disagree. For her not to have been charged, she must have offered something in return. This could well have been discussed and agreed during the internal investigation. None of us knows exactly what happened in this particular case, but given that she was in phone contact with some of the main players in the gang, and hung around in a house where drugs were openly bagged up and dealt, I'd say she became a registered informant and agreed to offer information on the OCG and its operations. She obviously will have lost her job eventually but it's unthinkable that she would avoid prosecution without entering into some sort of agreement that benefited the investigation.
I didn't disagree with that, although invariably when someone offers information to assist an investigation, they don't get away scott free if they have committed offences themselves, they get reduced punishment.

What I said is that the police would not and do not keep people in a job if they are 'bent coppers'. Full stop. It said at the end something like 'after an internal investigation no offences were identified' or something like that. There's definitely more to it.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
There was nothing said about her being a member of the gang. At one point, one of the officers did speculate that she might have been a member tasked with becoming a cop to feed back information but this line of speculative thinking never went anywhere so I have to presume it wasn't the case. As I said in the post above, it's almost certain that she agreed to become a confidential informant for the duration of the investigation and prosecution.
She could also have been a police officer, tasked with going undercover with a cover story of being a dodgy cop.

I know a few cops who have done stupid things. Most loose their jobs, but occasionally they will keep their job depending on the severity of what they have done. What I can 100% assure you is that once a cop is found to have acted dishonesty, their career is over.

For her to keep her job she must have been found to have not done anything wrong.

Just this week in Greater Manchester Police a cop lost his job for getting a family member to ring in sick for him when he was in fact on holiday. If it is found you are dishonest, you simply do not get away with it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

So after watching what had happened over the three episodes, this was your first thought and what you thought worth posting about ? I expected it because I know you're a racist, Islamophobic little **** who has been banned for exactly this type of stuff multiple times before.

But I am constantly and sadly a little surprised by those who continue to defend you by restating your posting rights each time because I really expected better ???

Last edited:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Watched all three episodes last night. Huge respect for Martin and Mark (plus all their colleagues), sincere condolences to Cameron's family, and nothing but contempt for anyone involved in the Adam line (and its tributaries).

To quote Lance from C4's Phone Shop, Skinny is either "king of the wing...or being passed around like a bag of toffees". He needs to serve every day of that sentence given what he did to an innocent member of the public.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
His death is still under investigation by a coroner
I think the M.E.N has been a bit cheeky there and implied something is going on when it probably isn’t. It can take between 6-9 months for the coroner to complete an inquest for most cases they look at and until they complete their reports it will still be under investigation by definition.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Very cruel...and it only happened on Tuesday this week apparently.
I had the impression his family released the statement to coincide with the episode; either way, as the credits came up, any hopes of a truly happy ending were ended there and then. He was so brave and so mature at his age, yet so young. For some reason, he has been in my head ever since.

People can do what they want to as long as they don't hurt anyone else. Of course. But I've always thought if you could get somehow get across to people all the stages of what has occurred, all the damage, in order for you to be in this pub toilet with a couple of lines racked up on the cistern, then a difference would surely be made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here