[Albion] The declining quality of my match day experience

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think it does actually cover some of those issues - there’s only a slice of it in the programme this week and on the club website.
Of course it doesn’t cover off Graham Potters tactics (although investment in the squad is a question) but I’d suggest it does cover off a whole bunch of issues you give a shiny shit about.
Anyway I’m just sharing it for context which leads inevitably to boring suggestions it’s something to do with me (it isn’t) , it’s rigged (it’s not) , it’s pointless (well it tells you lots of things but of course not everything) and now I’m being told you don’t give a shiny shit about it. Blimey. Just cos Albion came top of a few surveys where fans seem impressed with the pies.

Whatevs. We've done a nice survey. No doubt Paul's hit his targets.

Meanwhile the majority of working class Brighton home fans who are having to justify choosing their ST over heating are now ringing home to say that they'll be home an hour later than planned, because trains, and we lost again.

I do know that this is largely outside of the control of the club BTW, Tony and Paul cannot control how the players finish or trains arrive or Covid. That doesn't mean that our current home game experience is great though.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Two things would improve park and ride.
1. Open both sets of doors on the bendy buses to get fans on quicker. (especially after games life the last two when so many fans leave early and fill up the first buses)
2. Periodically hold the oncoming traffic up at the top of Mill Rd. Used to happen years ago and would help prevent the 30 minute wait trying to get away due to huge queues.

Just one of those would improve my experience immensely! :D

As a Mill Roader prior to Covid, I would like to add two further improvements:

1) Don't stop the buses at the top of Mill Road for up to 10 minutes, just in case some footsoldier wanders along. The clue is in the words Park and Ride. It's for the people who parked. If locals want to wander along and catch it too, that's fine, but don't hold up a bus load of drivers to wait for them. Let them wait for the next bus.

2) When the bus arrives at the Uni, drive up the left lane to the top rather than queue in the right lane. Some drivers do, some don't. Get them all to do it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’ve had enough of these relegation struggles, everyone OUT. Not good enough, we deserve better and don’t call me entitled. TB needs to open his cheque book wider, get better players and a decent manager in FFS

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’ve had enough of these relegation struggles, everyone OUT. Not good enough, we deserve better and don’t call me entitled. TB needs to open his cheque book wider, get better players and a decent manager in FFS

Surely a quick relegation will solve most of these seismic (and the not so seismic) issues and improve everyone’s match day experiences

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Surely a quick relegation will solve most of these seismic (and the not so seismic) issues and improve everyone’s match day experiences

Of course it will, we may have fecked relegation up this season though, this club is now an embarrassment, I didn’t sign up for this shit.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Whatevs. We've done a nice survey. No doubt Paul's hit his targets.

Meanwhile the majority of working class Brighton home fans who are having to justify choosing their ST over heating are now ringing home to say that they'll be home an hour later than planned, because trains, and we lost again.

I do know that this is largely outside of the control of the club BTW, Tony and Paul cannot control how the players finish or trains arrive or Covid. That doesn't mean that our current home game experience is great though.

It’s not a club survey. Its commissioned every year by by the Premier League. It tells you something about the issues the club can control . But it’s just one survey and one bit of feedback. It’s a more rounded picture of what fans are thinking and how they value the club than perhaps other bits of feedback.. including this thread which is why I shared it. but Who thinks that it’s not going to be a substantial issue affording season tickets this year given cost of living issues. Who thinks it’s not grim seeing us lose or draw at home most weeks ? Who thinks that the atmosphere as a result is better than mixed to say the least. ? And who thinks that car parking and train issues some or most weeks arent a massive arse ?
Not me, the club or anyone I’d say. Doesn’t mean I should get grief when sharing a survey about the quality of our programmes or how well the club deals with racism but I know what NSC is like ha ha.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just a corrective to this thread and dozens like it in the last few months and also some regular posters who insist that you're better off going virtually anywhere other than the Amex for your football fix - nearly 3000 Albion fans were surveyed last month and Albion are in the top 2 or 3 clubs in the Premier League for a host of questions relating to the match day experience and overall they are second for match day experience out of the 20 clubs.

how welcome fans are made to feel upon entering the ground (2nd)
the matchday programme (3rd), announcements in the stadium (3rd),
Wi-Fi connectivity and mobile phone signal (2nd),
stadium cleanliness and toilet facilities (3rd),
quality and range of food and drink on offer (2nd).
provision of digital ticketing (1st)
performance of ticket office staff. (1st)
The family-friendly environment (2nd).
Stewards (2nd)
Reporting abuse and having it dealt with. (significantly more likely than other clubs)

Of course doesn't mean that thats the case for all fans and i'm sure it won't convince some regular NSC posters. But the idea that the match day experience is declining and thats what other fans think too is not borne out by the data.

I am on 02 and have never once been able to connect to the WiFi in the stadium or even get 3G/ 4g until I’ve left the coach park. Am I alone?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s not a club survey. Its commissioned every year by by the Premier League. It tells you something about the issues the club can control . But it’s just one survey and one bit of feedback. It’s a more rounded picture of what fans are thinking and how they value the club than perhaps other bits of feedback.. including this thread which is why I shared it. but Who thinks that it’s not going to be a substantial issue affording season tickets this year given cost of living issues. Who thinks it’s not grim seeing us lose or draw at home most weeks ? Who thinks that the atmosphere as a result is mixed to say the least. ? And who thinks that car parking and train issues some or most weeks is a massive arse ?
Not me, the club or anyone I’d say. Doesn’t mean I should get grief cut sharing a survey about the quality of our programmes or how well the club deals with racism but I know what NSC is like ha ha.

I’d drop it CJ. Some on here think NSC is the only voice of the Albion supporters.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I am on 02 and have never once been able to connect to the WiFi in the stadium or even get 3G/ 4g until I’ve left the coach park. Am I alone?

I’m also on 02 and agree.
I very rarely look at my phone in the ground because I gave up trying to use it there ages ago, I did try and look at Twitter on the bus in the coach park after Saturday’s match, definitely no 3G or 4G.
Some other fans were trying to find out something about the rugby match and also couldn’t get a signal until we were up towards Woodingdean.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Works perfectly for me on O2 :shrug:

Bizarre, I’m running the most up to date version of IOS and using a relatively recent (XR) iPhone, absolutely no joy.

I assume there’s only one BHA public WiFi and I’m not missing a secondary working one?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I’m also on 02 and agree.
I very rarely look at my phone in the ground because I gave up trying to use it there ages ago, I did try and look at Twitter on the bus in the coach park after Saturday’s match, definitely no 3G or 4G.
Some other fans were trying to find out something about the rugby match and also couldn’t get a signal until we were up towards Woodingdean.

Had wondered if I had joined some defunct bha network back in the day and my phone hasn’t forgotten it, unlikely I know but can’t understand the difference in 02 users?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've just shared a pretty comprehensive survey of 3000 fans asking them about their match day experience on a thread about the quality of a fans match day experience - which Albion pretty much excel at and in a dozen or so categories.
The only response so far has been to mock it, say it "means nothing" or complain that its not really the match day experience being talked about on this thread.
Oh well.

I'm not mocking it or saying it means nothing. I'm saying it's not conclusive proof that everything is hunky dory, that it's not only professional moaners having issues and anyone who isn't satisfied is wrong. I'm saying that while it paints a more optimistic picture, it's needs to be looked at with a critical eye (as do the complaints).

I would also say, when so many of the things that people are taking issue with as a key part of their matchday aren't covered by the survey, I don't think it is accurate to describe the survey as "comprehensive".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I am not on O2, I never used to have issues with it, but haven't been able to connect to wi-fi at all this season (I think it's something to do with a wifi profile I had to install to access the wifi at work - could that possibly be an issue for you?). Fortunately, though, I have yet to (knock on wood) have trouble connecting to 4g.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think it does actually cover some of those issues - there’s only a slice of it in the programme this week and on the club website.
Of course it doesn’t cover off Graham Potters tactics (although investment in the squad is a question) but I’d suggest it does cover off a whole bunch of issues you give a shiny shit about.
Anyway I’m just sharing it for context which leads inevitably to boring suggestions it’s something to do with me (it isn’t) , it’s rigged (it’s not) , it’s pointless (well it tells you lots of things but of course not everything) and now I’m being told you don’t give a shiny shit about it. Blimey. Just cos Albion came top of a few surveys where fans seem impressed with the pies.

Surely for you to know it’s not rigged it must be something to do with you ? I’m being flippant of course. Just saying that putting out a survey is the method used by modern business to ‘achieve’ their goals without ever having to actually achieve anything. It creates and controls the narrative and therefore irritates.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s not a club survey. Its commissioned every year by by the Premier League. It tells you something about the issues the club can control . But it’s just one survey and one bit of feedback. It’s a more rounded picture of what fans are thinking and how they value the club than perhaps other bits of feedback.. including this thread which is why I shared it. but Who thinks that it’s not going to be a substantial issue affording season tickets this year given cost of living issues. Who thinks it’s not grim seeing us lose or draw at home most weeks ? Who thinks that the atmosphere as a result is better than mixed to say the least. ? And who thinks that car parking and train issues some or most weeks arent a massive arse ?
Not me, the club or anyone I’d say. Doesn’t mean I should get grief when sharing a survey about the quality of our programmes or how well the club deals with racism but I know what NSC is like ha ha.

You are not getting grief. It is being pointed out to you that the survey does not address the issues raised on the thread. Pretty straightforward.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bizarre, I’m running the most up to date version of IOS and using a relatively recent (XR) iPhone, absolutely no joy.

I assume there’s only one BHA public WiFi and I’m not missing a secondary working one?

No idea, maybe they boost the signal in 1901 :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports