Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The DECIDER - 5th Test Match, The Oval - England vs Australia

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Everyone's got double figures, no one's got a ton. Familiar tale...

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
imagesbuilding-collapse-2-small.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's interesting that the stats simply don't correspond to Flintoff's tag as matchwinner. In his 79 match career he's never got 10 wickets in a match and 5 wickets in an innings on only 3 occasions - 1 more than 22-test 'novice' Stuart Broad.

Similarly, the last of his 5 test tons was against the Aussies 4 years ago, and he's only once scored above 75 in a test since that innings at Trent Bridge, and just 4 test 50s in the last 3 years.

Contrast that with Broad's 5 fifties in the past 15 months.

Lastly, Flintoff has played about three-quarters of the tests Botham played but the ton count is 14-5 in Botham's favour, 5 wicket count 27-3 in Botham's favour and 10 wicket count 4-0 to Beefy.

Therefore, whilst Freddie is clearly a legend and class act he's nowhere near the potential matchwinner of a Botham, despite how the press have bigged him up over the last week.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's the Return of the Bat Spackers.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Shipping bloody forecast.......moderate or GOOD apparently

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's interesting that the stats simply don't correspond to Flintoff's tag as matchwinner. In his 79 match career he's never got 10 wickets in a match and 5 wickets in an innings on only 3 occasions - 1 more than 22-test 'novice' Stuart Broad.

Similarly, the last of his 5 test tons was against the Aussies 4 years ago, and he's only once scored above 75 in a test since that innings at Trent Bridge, and just 4 test 50s in the last 3 years.

Contrast that with Broad's 5 fifties in the past 15 months.

Lastly, Flintoff has played about three-quarters of the tests Botham played but the ton count is 14-5 in Botham's favour, 5 wicket count 27-3 in Botham's favour and 10 wicket count 4-0 to Beefy.

Therefore, whilst Freddie is clearly a legend and class act he's nowhere near the potential matchwinner of a Botham, despite how the press have bigged him up over the last week.

Totally agree. Everyone loves Freddie - hell, I love Freddie - but his personality distracts us from seeing that he's got a good but not great test record. Take away that spell in the second innings at Lord's and he has two wickets at 135 this series - even with that spell his average is 48.

There's too much hope being invested in one man and I think that team are part of this, insofar as they believe in it too. That could be why England's record without Freddie is so much better than their record with him.

Of course, this being his last test, he'll want to go out with a bang and he'll deliver his first 10-wicket haul in international cricket. Well, let's hope so...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Totally agree. Everyone loves Freddie - hell, I love Freddie - but his personality distracts us from seeing that he's got a good but not great test record. Take away that spell in the second innings at Lord's and he has two wickets at 135 this series - even with that spell his average is 48.

There's too much hope being invested in one man and I think that team are part of this, insofar as they believe in it too. That could be why England's record without Freddie is so much better than their record with him.

Of course, this being his last test, he'll want to go out with a bang and he'll deliver his first 10-wicket haul in international cricket. Well, let's hope so...

I caught the end of an interview he did with Mike Atherton just before the test started and Athers asked him how he thought he had been as a test cricketer - Freddie's reply was something like "I've been alright, good in patches, but overall alright, nothing special etc etc". Which is good in as much as he has not necessarily believed the hype surrounding him, but you could be right in that the rest of the team have.

Maybe it's because us Brits are so starved of success, that we have to turn someone who does well for a while into a legend/talisman etc etc, when in reality they are good players but not as good as the press would have people think (Mr Beckham and Mr Harmison spring to mind as other examples).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here