Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The day that Sussex died -100th anniversary this year

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
There are various local commemorations being held and in Worthing a new memorial is being unveiled on Thursday. I believe Chatsmore School have been involved in a project to research the events and design this memorial.

Stand or fall - has to be.

May 12, 2009
DSD.jpg

Taken at East Grinstead War Memorial this morning - hopefully pic uploaded OK

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
Whilst many sadly died on the fields, many others died after the war. I've been tracing my family tree and one of my grandads brothers died in 1923 during to the lasting effects of the war.
Newspaper Extract: A Railwaymans Funeral. Members of the staff of the Railway Station were present in uniform at the funeral on Thursday afternoon of Mr Arthur Ernest Johnson of Rock Cottages Wivelsfield Road, who was a porter at the station prior to the commencement of a lengthy period of ill-health, due to being gassed in France during the war. He served the 11th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment across the channel and was taken prisoner by the Germans. He was only 27 years of age at the time of his death and much sympathy for his young widow. The service was conducted by the Rev. S.W.A. Collins and the sad cortege was led to the church by a number of deceased fellow railwaymen, who lined his path as the coffin was borne into St Wilfrids Chiurch on the shoulders of Station Foreman Kent, and Porters Cook Jenkins and Page. ARTHUR ERNEST JOHNSON, Died 7th October 1923.

Bizarrely, I've not been able to find any of his military service records other than one when he signed up early on in the war and was discharged a few days later as being unfit to serve as a soldier for some reason. I don't believe that the death report was made up, particularly since he had a wrath from a former commanding officer, so he must have re-enlisted when they were less fussy about taking on volunteers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have been to the Menin Gate and stood respectfully while the local Fire Brigade play The Last Post at 20.00, EVERY night. Incredibly moving, we must never forget their sacrifice.

Edit: I'm not ashamed to say I had tears in my eyes.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
My granddad served in the 8/East Yorkshire Rgt. I've downloaded the War Diary today and had a quick read of the early months for the unit (Battle of Loos) but moved on to see what my granddad was up to 100 years ago. He was training behind the lines nr St Omer and entrained for the Somme Valley on the 30th June 1916. He didn't 'go over the top' like so many on the 1st July....his battle started near Montauban on 13/14 July and on to Delville Wood. He saw out the war (as did his brother) but not before witnessing the horrors of 3rd Ypres (Passchendaele)
Two of my uncles, Sussex boys, signed up to The East Yorkshires . Soldiering was their profession so they, on return from India, were sent with the regiment as the British Expedictionary Force. Later becoming known as the 'Old comtemptibles'. They were in the 1st Battalion but after most were wiped out they having survived were moved to the newly formed 8th Battalion. One being killed in 1915 at Ypres and the other at Arras in 1917. Perhaps their paths crossed with your Granddad. They are remembered on the memorials in Crawley and at the Regiment base Town of Beverley East Yorks. I was in Beverley for the 1914 -2014 rememberance and asked about the regimental diaries. I was told by the Museum staff they were sent to London and disappeared. So can I ask did you find them online ? or elsewhere. Would love to know where they are.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Shame they couldn't quote Binyon's poem correctly though
Unconventional phrasing of the famous closing sentiment attributed to Edmonds too...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whilst many sadly died on the fields, many others died after the war. I've been tracing my family tree and one of my grandads brothers died in 1923 during to the lasting effects of the war.
Newspaper Extract: A Railwaymans Funeral. Members of the staff of the Railway Station were present in uniform at the funeral on Thursday afternoon of Mr Arthur Ernest Johnson of Rock Cottages Wivelsfield Road, who was a porter at the station prior to the commencement of a lengthy period of ill-health, due to being gassed in France during the war. He served the 11th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment across the channel and was taken prisoner by the Germans. He was only 27 years of age at the time of his death and much sympathy for his young widow. The service was conducted by the Rev. S.W.A. Collins and the sad cortege was led to the church by a number of deceased fellow railwaymen, who lined his path as the coffin was borne into St Wilfrids Church on the shoulders of Station Foreman Kent, and Porters Cook Jenkins and Page. ARTHUR ERNEST JOHNSON, Died 7th October 1923.
Not the time to be flippant or pedantic, but you might want to consider rephrasing the highlighted bit. Either that or it was an extraordinary funeral.

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
Not the time to be flippant or pedantic, but you might want to consider rephrasing the highlighted bit. Either that or it was an extraordinary funeral.

Well spotted, didn't notice that. I just copy/paste the article! I assume it should read as: deceased's

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
I have been to the Menin Gate and stood respectfully while the local Fire Brigade play The Last Post at 20.00, EVERY night. Incredibly moving, we must never forget their sacrifice.

Edit: I'm not ashamed to say I had tears in my eyes.

During WW2 this ceremony was transferred to Brookwood, and returned to the Menin Gate at the end of hostilities.

My Grandfather Laurence Stenning was killed by a sniper on the 21 October 1916, aged 32, my mother was 3.
He was in the Royal Sussex Regiment and came from World's End.
Buried in Grancourt Cemetery, a stones throw from Thepveil memorial.

Have not spelt it right, but .I am sure you know what I mean

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Thought this was appropriate to post

Thankyou for posting FB. I was fond of this song in the early 80's and probably haven't heard it in 30 years. Would you believe I was given a box of records yesterday and was surprised to find this in it, thinking I must listen to it again, but hadn't realised it's significance until seeing your post today.

With Sorrow and Thanks for the sacrifice of the Fallen

theboybilly

Two of my uncles, Sussex boys, signed up to The East Yorkshires . Soldiering was their profession so they, on return from India, were sent with the regiment as the British Expedictionary Force. Later becoming known as the 'Old comtemptibles'. They were in the 1st Battalion but after most were wiped out they having survived were moved to the newly formed 8th Battalion. One being killed in 1915 at Ypres and the other at Arras in 1917. Perhaps their paths crossed with your Granddad. They are remembered on the memorials in Crawley and at the Regiment base Town of Beverley East Yorks. I was in Beverley for the 1914 -2014 rememberance and asked about the regimental diaries. I was told by the Museum staff they were sent to London and disappeared. So can I ask did you find them online ? or elsewhere. Would love to know where they
are.

I downloaded the War Diary for 8 East Yorks from the National Archives website (it comes in 2 sections and costs £3.45 all in) I often wondered what my granddad was doing in Beverley to enlist with his brother Arthur (who joined the Border Regiment and also survived) as they were both living in Witton-le-Wear in County Durham. My granddad died in the mid-60s so I didn't really get the chance to ask him much and my dad didn't mention it either. A trait of all my granddad and father's generations is they never spoke about their wartime exploits and all served at some time in their lives.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Thanks for that. I last saw the diary in 1976 and there were no copying facilities where it was held (Regimental Museum in Beverley). So had to write my own notes which I have mislaid over the years. All the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here