Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The day that Sussex died -100th anniversary this year

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
If i remember correctly, the battle was a farce due to weather and rearrangement of the 'big push', yet they were ordered to carry on anyhow, it was supposed to be a precursor or some kind of feint.
There was a story of incredible heroism, a brother, i think who won a VC, he went back over the top time and again to rescue the wounded until he was sniped. I'll try and find it.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
If i remember correctly, the battle was a farce due to weather and rearrangement of the 'big push', yet they were ordered to carry on anyhow, it was supposed to be a precursor or some kind of feint.
There was a story of incredible heroism, a brother, i think who won a VC, he went back over the top time and again to rescue the wounded until he was sniped. I'll try and find it.

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/vc3.htm

also

http://www.eastsussexww1.org.uk/day-sussex-died/

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sometimes your feet are weary, Sometimes the way is long,
Sometimes the day is dreary, Sometimes the world goes wrong;
But if you let your voices ring, Your care will fly away,
So we'll sing a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

It is the county's heritage.
It is the club's heritage.
It is why those who clamour to "change the words" should be resisted

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I don't think anyone is clamouring to change the words. The cup words were used for obvious reasons at the time and have stuck for a lot of people for a long time. Not sure there is an resistance, and since the words have been up on the screen (like that or not) it has changed most around me to singing it correctly.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I agree. I was born in Hastings, I was 'educated' in a CofE Primary. I learned the word to SbS at Primary school through a mad music teacher. The song has always meant more to me than Albion and Sussex ccc and any non-league team......

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
2 days to go.

Anyone got the postcode for the graves?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
image.jpeg

Men of the 1st South Downs at Cooden Camp near Bexhill on Sea, during training there in September 1914. Many would perish on 'The Day Sussex Died' 30 June 1916. RIP

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There are so many cemeteries - looks like this is the right one: [SIZE=+1]Saint Vaast Post Military Cemetery[/SIZE]

theboybilly

My grandad was at Galippoli, I got his service record from the National Archives at Kew, its quite fascinating to see this :)

My granddad served in the 8/East Yorkshire Rgt. I've downloaded the War Diary today and had a quick read of the early months for the unit (Battle of Loos) but moved on to see what my granddad was up to 100 years ago. He was training behind the lines nr St Omer and entrained for the Somme Valley on the 30th June 1916. He didn't 'go over the top' like so many on the 1st July....his battle started near Montauban on 13/14 July and on to Delville Wood. He saw out the war (as did his brother) but not before witnessing the horrors of 3rd Ypres (Passchendaele)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here