Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Dan Burn conundrum

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’m torn on the Dan Burn situation. He always seemed a thoroughly decent bloke, and got the chance to play for the boyhood club that he probably thought had gone for good.

And, having made the move in January, everyone thought he’d be a benchwarmer at best by now, as Newcastle spent like loons in the summer to bring in Galacticos aplenty.

But he’s still there, playing every week, part of the best defence in the league and sitting in fourth.

People are even calling for him to be in England's World Cup squad.

But it’s f***ing Newcastle, all they now represent, and our friend Smug Eddie.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Happy for Dan Burn as he’s a decent bloke, always tried his hardest for us no matter where he was playing and is living his childhood dream, but everyone else associated with Newcastle and especially Smug Eddie can get f***ed. And I realise holding those two positions at the same time makes zero sense.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The only conundrum for me is why we didn’t ask for more money, £13m wasn’t it, gotta be at least £20m. Or more. Newcastle would have got their man, and we wouldn’t have stood in Burn’s way to go and play for his boyhood club, so long as they pay a fair fee.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's a tall order for BDB.
IMO he's only filling in the LB berth, until New Saudi purchase one with a fancy sounding South American name like Daninio Burnado :shrug:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
To paraphrase Richard Winters in Band of Brothers: salute the player, not the club.

(which I guess would be the opposite of his sentiment which was "we salute the rank, not the man" but, and I can't stress this enough - f*** Newcastle)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He was playing brilliantly and helped drive the pace. Should not have been relegated until he showed he could not do it. Not sure if he would have stayed given Newcastle link but we certainly should have asked more for him...

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It's a tall order for BDB.
IMO he's only filling in the LB berth, until New Saudi purchase one with a fancy sounding South American name like Daninio Burnado :shrug:
This is the thing, he'll probably be a good squad player for them for a few more years, and he'll probably be fine with that. He's positionally flexible and isn't going to kick up a fuss when his playing time dramatically drops next season when Danino Burnado comes in.

We made a £10m profit on a player who for the first year and a half after we signed him looked like he'd never play a game for us before being shipped back out to the Championship. Not enamoured with Burn to the extent of some fans but happy for him nonetheless. Hope Newcastle fail miserably at the same time.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Happy for Dan Burn as he’s a decent bloke, always tried his hardest for us no matter where he was playing and is living his childhood dream, but everyone else associated with Newcastle and especially Smug Eddie can get f***ed. And I realise holding those two positions at the same time makes zero sense.
Agree with all of this, apart from the last bit: it makes total sense -- love Dan, hate Eddie and even more the Saudis, and the manner in which the fans have accepted them with open arms.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When he left he was described on here as the third or fourth in line for a first team place and was only playing as we had many injuries.
Will never forget his thank you when he stood alone on the centre spot clapping the whole Amex, well the few hundred still left. Class.
And will never forget the way he forced the winner v Man City over the line by sheer force of will at the Amex in front of the 10,000 who had the privilege of being able to attend during covid restrictions. Top man Dan Burn :clap2:

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Why is Eddie Howe so thoroughly disliked on here. I mean I know nearly all managers or coaches are but why him especially?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Surely the Dan Burn thread is worth a bounce as a reminder of how many NSCers repeatedly said he wasn't good enough...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm happy for him, I was one of those who thought he might get a short term boost but fall out of favour once they spent some money, so fair play to him for making himself indispensable

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He's a smug prick. Started in the video below with Steve Fletcher the cheating bastard.

Part of me will always be happy that the smug twat scored the winner with an own goal in our centenary game against Bournemouth at the Withdean. Even if that pre dated his total smugness I’ve applied it retrospectively.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Love seeing El-Abd and Calde getting involved after that cheap elbow.
Still can't believe that refereeing performance.
Whilst I love the Amex and would never want to see the club return to a ground like The Withdean, a part of me does miss being able to hear one bloke in the crowd yelling "it was the Bournemouth players arm ref!" clearly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here