Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The Dail Mash take on Brighton the town

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All of you moaning about Brighton being a hipster hellhole populated by cafe going benders from the smoke should move to Leigh on Sea.

Or "all of you" should just get over themselves? Hipsters and "benders" are both benign groups and easily avoidable if they're such an issue. Loosen up!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Past 'what' if you don't mind me asking please? I'm curious to know more about this demographic you represent and are laying claim to the town. I'll have a word with Biddy and George who live a few doors down from me and who also think the litter, the mess, all the crap councils and the rise in street drinkers is getting out of hand. She's in her late 70s, he's in his early 90s and they've both lived here all their lives but I am sure when I explain that Brighton isn't a town for just anyone and that you need a certain mindset to live here we'll all toddle off to the burbs and leave you in peace.

Sorry but do you realise just how wanky, even in jest, that "if you don't like Brighton, you're past it" sounds?

Brighton was far grottier in late 80's as I first remember it than it is now. That's not to say it doesn't have problems but the way you speak about it is way over the top. I'd probably say to Biddy and George exactly the same thing I say to my mother in law when she starts saying the same stuff about London (where she has recently moved from) that the place may have changed but as you get older what you want from where you live also changes. Things which may not have been big problems for you in the past become problems. I can't think of any major city in the UK I'd like to grow old in and I don't think that is a problem unique to Brighton. The comment I made was specifically addressing the people in this thread, none of whom to my knowledge would be in the same demographic as Biddy and George. I apologise if my flippant comment offended yours or their sensibilities.

As it happens I have to leave next year in order to buy somewhere so like you this is a subject quite close to my heart.This upsets me as for all its flaws I absolutely love the place and have lived here since I was born. Hopefully I'll get to come back at some point. I don't need to create a negative narrative about the place to justify my decision.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Brighton is the burbs as much as it is the north laine. Move to the burbs and you will meet Brighton people. Not many yoghurt knitters in the burbs, where people who have lived in brighton for generations would be talking aboit people and places of the town those who represent the public image of the place, wouldnt have a clue about.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton was far grottier in late 80's as I first remember it than it is now. That's not to say it doesn't have problems but the way you speak about it is way over the top. I'd probably say to Biddy and George exactly the same thing I say to my mother in law when she starts saying the same stuff about London (where she has recently moved from) that the place may have changed but as you get older what you want from where you live also changes. Things which may not have been big problems for you in the past become problems. I can't think of any major city in the UK I'd like to grow old in and I don't think that is a problem unique to Brighton. The comment I made was specifically addressing the people in this thread, none of whom to my knowledge would be in the same demographic as Biddy and George. I apologise if my flippant comment offended yours or their sensibilities.

As it happens I have to leave next year in order to buy somewhere so like you this is a subject quite close to my heart.This upsets me as for all its flaws I absolutely love the place and have lived here since I was born. Hopefully I'll get to come back at some point. I don't need to create a negative narrative about the place to justify my decision.
My sensibilities haven't been offended at all. I just think your comment sounded like the sort of thing the Daily Mash were poking fun at. It's pretentious, plain and simple.

I've mentioned three things that are making me consider moving. The litter and mess is bloody awful and we pay the council a lot of money to do a half-arsed job, the councils have all been pretty poor and Brighton does have a serious problem with street-drinking.

I'm struggling to see how you think that is going way over the top (your words) and I also don't understand why you think that because I consider these as serious issues that I don't appreciate Brighton.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
My sensibilities haven't been offended at all. I just think your comment sounded like the sort of thing the Daily Mash were poking fun at. It's pretentious, plain and simple.

I've mentioned three things that are making me consider moving. The litter and mess is bloody awful and we pay the council a lot of money to do a half-arsed job, the councils have all been pretty poor and Brighton does have a serious problem with street-drinking.

I'm struggling to see how you think that is going way over the top (your words) and I also don't understand why you think that because I consider these as serious issues that I don't appreciate Brighton.

That was the purpose of the flippancy of the comment.

I've not said that you don't appreciate Brighton. I don't know and wouldn't assume one way or the other. I was wondering why you were being so hostile.

The issues you mention are not new. What I'm trying to say is that a person's perception of the importance of particular issues changes with time, whereas once they may have been able to overlook them and focus on the benefits they derive from living in Brighton, perhaps now they are outweighing those benefits. I think often people like to set up a narrative of an area changing for the worse around them, when in reality it's as much to do with a change in an individual's priorities or circumstance.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Whenever I bring friends from London to Brighton they almost always point out that Brighton has a large amount of beggars, even in comparison to London.

I love visiting Brighton but the central part is becoming Shoreditch by sea and house prices are basically clearing low earners from large areas of it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love visiting Brighton but the central part is becoming Shoreditch by sea

Brighton has been popular/over-run by Londoners since the Georgian period though; Londoners have always been an intrinsic part of the city for better or for worse. "Shoreditch-by-sea" is quite fitting I guess.

I live in Hanover and they have just sold the first house for £500k... Good for me but crazy money for terrace houses....

Wasn't that house being sold as an HMO? Still crazy money! House at end of Holland Street was on the market for £450k a few months back.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Brighton has been popular/over-run by Londoners since the Georgian period though; Londoners have always been an intrinsic part of the city for better or for worse. "Shoreditch-by-sea" is quite fitting I guess.
Not really , most of the beardy tossers in shoreditch aren't from london, in the past it was working class londoners who came down, either on daytrips or moved here , now its primarily the sort of tossers who call moving to brighton making a ''lifestyle choice''.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Not really , most of the beardy tossers in shoreditch aren't from london, in the past it was working class londoners who came down, either on daytrips or moved here , now its primarily the sort of tossers who call moving to brighton making a ''lifestyle choice''.

No it wasn't, it was always a mix,. I do like how you try to reduce everything to working class utopia's spoiled by iimigrants and the middle classes. Though of course it also has to be the right type of "working class"

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
No it wasn't, it was always a mix,. I do like how you try to reduce everything to working class utopia's spoiled by iimigrants and the middle classes. Though of course it also has to be the right type of "working class"
Ok fair enough , it was just my take on it , as for your last statement , you said it not me , it must be really soul destroying being you , middle class but so wishing you weren't , and a teacher who cant even spell immigrant, was teacher your last resort as you didn't get any offers from the graduate milk round ? Is that why youre so bitter and twisted ?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That was the purpose of the flippancy of the comment.

I've not said that you don't appreciate Brighton. I don't know and wouldn't assume one way or the other. I was wondering why you were being so hostile.

The issues you mention are not new. What I'm trying to say is that a person's perception of the importance of particular issues changes with time, whereas once they may have been able to overlook them and focus on the benefits they derive from living in Brighton, perhaps now they are outweighing those benefits. I think often people like to set up a narrative of an area changing for the worse around them, when in reality it's as much to do with a change in an individual's priorities or circumstance.
I realise the comment was flippant I wrote that I thought it was wanky, even in jest.

A few posts back my 3 issues with Brighton were way over the top, then they were just hostile and by the end of your post you have acknowledged them as nothing new!

You're right, I'm sure my priorities have changed but also I no longer believe that any of these issues will improve in the foreseeable future and so I'm thinking about moving. The reaction to that quite innocuous comment by some on here was priceless.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Ok fair enough , it was just my take on it , as for your last statement , you said it not me , it must be really soul destroying being you , middle class but so wishing you weren't , and a teacher who cant even spell immigrant, was teacher your last resort as you didn't get any offers from the graduate milk round ? Is that why youre so bitter and twisted ?

Do you ever read back the stuff you write on here?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Do you ever read back the stuff you write on here?
Yes i do , I know why i am , but i wondered why he is , youve got a bit of a fixation with me havent you ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton is the burbs as much as it is the north laine. Move to the burbs and you will meet Brighton people. Not many yoghurt knitters in the burbs, where people who have lived in brighton for generations would be talking aboit people and places of the town those who represent the public image of the place, wouldnt have a clue about.

A fair point. It's not the same all over. So if you have an issue with something or someone then maybe move somewhere else in the city; no one thing in the city is city-wide apart from possibly house prices.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It's in the running for best city in UK but it is far too expensive. I rent here and own elsewhere and while looking into house prices round here I was taken aback, I knew it would be costly but it's insane and set to rise 50 % in four years according to a few agents I spoke with. You simply get far more for your money elsewhere.

How are your plans going with the Carp fishing facility in the west of England?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It's definitely the best city in the UK for me but is ridiculously expensive to live and work in. There are a lot of psueds in the parish but it was ever thus. Brighton suffers more than most with the label of being uber liberal and tolerant and this tends to attract the silly hat brigade from all points of the compass.

Real Brighton is fairly gritty and working class. It's that bit I miss the most.

Spot on. The centre (and lets throw a bit of Hove and Portslade in) is ****ing ludicrously overpriced.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I realise the comment was flippant I wrote that I thought it was wanky, even in jest.

A few posts back my 3 issues with Brighton were way over the top, then they were just hostile and by the end of your post you have acknowledged them as nothing new!

You're right, I'm sure my priorities have changed but also I no longer believe that any of these issues will improve in the foreseeable future and so I'm thinking about moving. The reaction to that quite innocuous comment by some on here was priceless.

No. You were being hostile to Nibble and I. If you read back your post to me after my comment it is seething with some serious hatred for what you consider my position and my demographic to be, when in reality you don't really know. Same way as I don't about you. In my opinion, your reaction is way over the top BECAUSE those issues are nothing new. Hence my feeling that it is YOU that has changed as much as what is going on around you.

Either way, I understand your position but I'm just making the point that the reasons for it may be slightly more complex than you think.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here