Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The curious case of Robert Sanchez's plummeting price tag

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Maybe the cost of living crisis is starting to hit the prem teams and £25 million was all they could afford with the cost of electricity nowadays

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If the Daily Mail told me today was Wednesday I wouldn't believe them.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I was amazed we got £25m Value reducing all the time not playing even more so after we bought another keeper.. Also didn't help when he showed attitude not great by refusing a place on bench. Load of crap that he cried when Roberts left.
A very good shot stopper but wait for Chelsea supporters reaction when he fluffs high balls into box
I remember him fluffing a couple, but i also remember him plucking corners and crosses out of the air in the dying minutes when we got our first win at Anfield, that was marvellous.

Last edited:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
The curse of the Amex keeper not one has lasted more than two seasons in the top flight. Stockdale was here for three seasons the longest serving Amex keeper I believe.
Ankergen was here for seven Probably 6 at the Amex ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When he’s re-teamed with Roberts, he’ll soon be Chelsea and Spain’s number 1. We’ll get a sell on fee when he goes to Real Madrid. Lots of revisionism on here. Modern keeper, big, with cat like reflexes and good with his feet.
Completely agree - except the bit about becoming Spain's no.1. Unai Simon is pretty much nailed on, and is only a year or so older than Big Bob - so he'll have a long wait!

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It looks like we've off-loaded two sulky players for less than would have got if they'd been first-teamers (Trossard the other one).

A dangerous precedent, imo.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
When he’s re-teamed with Roberts, he’ll soon be Chelsea and Spain’s number 1. We’ll get a sell on fee when he goes to Real Madrid. Lots of revisionism on here. Modern keeper, big, with cat like reflexes and good with his feet.
Probably because he has two left ones. I thought it was his lack of footwork that got him dropped.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Ankergen was here for seven Probably 6 at the Amex ?

He was here for our first 6 championship seasons at the Amex. He was barely first choice for any of those 6 seasons.

He didn’t play in the league for the last 3 and only made 23 appearances in the first 3 seasons (all bar 4 came in our first season at the Amex). In those last 3 seasons he played 2 games. A 4-2 League Cup win over Swindon and a 3-1 Fa Cup defeat to non league Lincoln where he came on as a sub for the injured Maenpaa when we were 1-0 up.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It looks like we've off-loaded two sulky players for less than would have got if they'd been first-teamers (Trossard the other one).

A dangerous precedent, imo.
Trossard was a first teamer. His fee was exactly where it should have been. I think we can all see now that transfer fees have far more to do with length of contract than quality of player.

Agree that Sanchez should have been a first teamer, but RDZ didn't want him and while he's here we're on the de Zerbi bus.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Completely agree - except the bit about becoming Spain's no.1. Unai Simon os pretty much nailed on, and is only a year or so older than Big Bob - so he'll have a long wait!

Simon is 5 months older than Sanchez. He’s clear first choice for Spain and barring any massive loss of form will be for a long time.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hold your nose, its The Mail, but it's quite a decent read...

At one stage, and not all that long ago, the asking price for Robert Sanchez was up to £70m he was so highly thought of at Brighton.​
Even earlier this summer, a Chelsea enquiry was met with a request for £40m which, then, abruptly ended the discussion.​
So, and with Brighton currently standing firm on their £100m valuation of Moises Caicedo, the reduced price Chelsea managed to secure Sanchez for can be considered a victory of sorts.​
The final deal agreed was worth £25m. It was a price that attracted Bayern Munich too.​
The German giants made a last-minute enquiry for Sanchez, checking in to see if his move to Chelsea was done and there was still a chance to hijack it.​

I would question the idea that a £40M bid would have been turned down earlier in the summer - relations between the player and the club were already broken by then, and a way out was the only answer for both parties. Apart from that though, an excellent article (Daily Mail or not).

Last edited:

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Not overly true. When pressed when he had the ball at his feet it was often panick. Many long balls were put straight out of play.

He was very good and used to command the box. But he became very uncertain at crosses, flapping, missing punches, and coming to claim crosses/corners that were sailing way over his head.

Very much better than what we had previously. But his form wasn't what it is was. Claiming different would be revisionism.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Trossard was a first teamer. His fee was exactly where it should have been. I think we can all see now that transfer fees have far more to do with length of contract than quality of player.
Yeah, maybe. He'd been dropped for a few matches before sale though, IIRC?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
All purely hypothetical, despite what people might choose to believe, but maybe the club took the view that the Sanchez fee might be lower than expected/originally wanted, but it might be offset by the Caicedo fee, which is probably more than they ever expected to get.

Once again, it's one of those times when you realise the club is trying to sell a player for somewhere in the region of ONE HUNDRED MILLION POUNDS. That's actually bonkers...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would question the idea that a £40M bid would have been turned down earlier in the summer - relations between the player and the club were already broken by then, and a way out was the inly answer for both parties. Apart from that though, an excellent article (Daily Mail or not).
The article doesn't say £40m was turned down.

it says earlier in the summer Chelsea asked about him, we said "That will be £40m please", and Chelsea walked away.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Looks like a charm offensive from Chelsea in relation to some of their pet journalists to encourage an article that shows the club in a positive light.

Watching the Albion's 'best of' reel on YouTube does show that RS is a superb shot stopper, but the modern keeper needs a more rounded skillset.

How he will deal with Pochettino, who is very obsessive about player conduct in terms of timekeeping etc, will be interesting to see.

A Rochdale fan sent me the following message "When Sanchez was at Dale he was described as an 'interesting' character. Trained when he wanted and how he wanted, but at our level stood out'

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here