Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The curious case of Robert Sanchez's plummeting price tag

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hold your nose, its The Mail, but it's quite a decent read...

At one stage, and not all that long ago, the asking price for Robert Sanchez was up to £70m he was so highly thought of at Brighton.​
Even earlier this summer, a Chelsea enquiry was met with a request for £40m which, then, abruptly ended the discussion.​
So, and with Brighton currently standing firm on their £100m valuation of Moises Caicedo, the reduced price Chelsea managed to secure Sanchez for can be considered a victory of sorts.​
The final deal agreed was worth £25m. It was a price that attracted Bayern Munich too.​
The German giants made a last-minute enquiry for Sanchez, checking in to see if his move to Chelsea was done and there was still a chance to hijack it.​

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If we didn't consider £40 million earlier in the summer that Is both bizarre and lunacy.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
£70m would have made him the second most expensive goalkeeping transfer of all time. He was an average keeper. No-one would have paid that.

But it's the Daily Mail, so I don't believe a word anyway, even if I'm wrong. Default position.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
£70m would have made him the second most expensive goalkeeping transfer of all time. He was an average keeper. No-one would have paid that.

But it's the Daily Mail, so I don't believe a word anyway, even if I'm wrong. Default position.
Indeed. We'd have been lucky to have got half that even when he was playing regularly.

Mind you, if someone had told me with a straight face we'd get £63m for Cucurella, I'd have spat on their back.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Indeed. We'd have been lucky to have got half that even when he was playing regularly.

Mind you, if someone had told me with a straight face we'd get £63m for Cucurella, I'd have spat on their back.
That was Chelsea though :ROFLMAO:

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
There was a point where he was probably worth around £40-50m, at the end of his breakthrough season under Potter.

Young, high potential, home grown. No he’s not Alisson or Neuer but he could be a big club keeper.

Then his blunders got more frequent, he became less assertive on crosses… and the tantrum happened. His value fell through the floor.

Let’s not rewrite history about how exciting he was when he broke through. It just didn’t work out that way, because of Robert’s ego.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Who was valuing him at £70m, his mum?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Hold your nose, its The Mail, but it's quite a decent read...

At one stage, and not all that long ago, the asking price for Robert Sanchez was up to £70m he was so highly thought of at Brighton.​
Even earlier this summer, a Chelsea enquiry was met with a request for £40m which, then, abruptly ended the discussion.
So, and with Brighton currently standing firm on their £100m valuation of Moises Caicedo, the reduced price Chelsea managed to secure Sanchez for can be considered a victory of sorts.​
The final deal agreed was worth £25m. It was a price that attracted Bayern Munich too.​
The German giants made a last-minute enquiry for Sanchez, checking in to see if his move to Chelsea was done and there was still a chance to hijack it.​

Unless we have suddenly started telling other clubs how much we want for players, I'm calling :shit:

Interesting article though :thumbsup:

I agree with @Gabbiano, when he first broke through I thought he could be a 40-50M player, but given what has happened since 25M is a good price. He is still young and has time to turn it around but I would now worry whether he has the mental 'toughness' when things go against him.

Particularly like this line

He came in for criticism due to his body language and was unhappy to not be playing but suggestions he refused to train or sit on the bench in the final weeks of the season have been strongly countered.

Course you didn't Bob :lolol:

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I was amazed we got £25m Value reducing all the time not playing even more so after we bought another keeper.. Also didn't help when he showed attitude not great by refusing a place on bench. Load of crap that he cried when Roberts left.
A very good shot stopper but wait for Chelsea supporters reaction when he fluffs high balls into box

SAC

May 21, 2014
Not curious at all.

If you don't want to sell a player, you put an inflated price tag on him. If you want to sell, that price is a lot more realistic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here