Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The curious case of Robert Sanchez's plummeting price tag

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The article doesn't say £40m was turned down.

it says earlier in the summer Chelsea asked about him, we said "That will be £40m please", and Chelsea walked away.
Fair enough - but I still find that bit of the article a bit unbelievable. £40M sounds like a "bugger off, he's not for sale, he's not going anywhere" sort of price, but surely at that time we weren't desperate to keep him. I'd've thought any enquiries at that time would have been met with 'OK, let's talk' rather than '£40M or bugger off'.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not overly true. When pressed when he had the ball at his feet it was often panick. Many long balls were put straight out of play.

He was very good and used to command the box. But he became very uncertain at crosses, flapping, missing punches, and coming to claim crosses/corners that were sailing way over his head.

Very much better than what we had previously. But his form wasn't what it is was. Claiming different would be revisionism.
his command of the box and aerial defense, once so strong had turned average at best. he's still good with feet imo, just not good enough to play role De Zerbi asks for. i think he'd still be our number 1 if wasnt for tactical changes.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Fair enough - but I still find that bit of the article a bit unbelievable. £40M sounds like a "bugger off, he's not for sale, he's not going anywhere" sort of price, but surely at that time we weren't desperate to keep him. I'd've thought any enquiries at that time would have been met with 'OK, let's talk' rather than '£40M or bugger off'.
That's not the TB/PB way though. There's no asking price as such. Much more a case of make the club an offer and an appropriate response will be made. I suspect the £40m asking price in the article is Grade A BS

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Under Potter, I assumed we would eventually sell him for £50m.
The DeZerbi style exposed his weakneses.
However, I find this revisionist stuff going on really irritating.
He's not some accident prone calamity in waiting.

He's a very decent keeper.
I think the club may have identified that he is not willing to put the effort in, to reach his full potential.

Ben Roberts may change that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That's not the TB/PB way though. There's no asking price as such. Much more a case of make the club an offer and an appropriate response will be made. I suspect the £40m asking price in the article is Grade A BS
Exactly. No way on earth would we expect that sort of price for him. We'd have been lucky to get that when he was actually in the team and on top form (so, about two years ago). Has to be somebody with a Chelsea agenda at the Mail.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
£70m would have made him the second most expensive goalkeeping transfer of all time. He was an average keeper. No-one would have paid that.

But it's the Daily Mail, so I don't believe a word anyway, even if I'm wrong. Default position.
Brighton, who famously never put a price on any of their players, valued him at £70m when he had been in the team 5mins (why would we even ‘value’ a new to the team player anyway..!. ) Nothing article, full of assumptions as per…

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
In January he would easily have been worth £40m+ but now £25m is a good compromise considering

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Brighton, who famously never put a price on any of their players, valued him at £70m when he had been in the team 5mins (why would we even ‘value’ a new to the team player anyway..!. ) Nothing article, full of assumptions as per…

Surely we put a price on Mac Allisters head ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be honest, I was quite surprised we got £25m. However, that was clearly dictated by the fact he obviously wanted out. I guess Chelsea are hoping the same thing happens with Caicedo*

*PS: It won't.
25m makes him the tenth most expensive keeper I believe…..when put like this seems a good fee to me

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
He's a very decent keeper.
I think the club may have identified that he is not willing to put the effort in, to reach his full potential.

Ben Roberts may change that.
This is my take too.

He was a very good keeper, we were all delighted by his ability to command his area and claim crosses when he first came in for Ryan.

He was good with his feet (for a goalkeeper!), just not quite up to the extreme standard needed to play the De Zerbi way. He probably could be, but clearly wasn't prepared to put effort in.

When Ben Roberts left and it clearly affected him badly, and he wasn't quite the same after that. I suspect he'd already made the decision he wanted to move on at that point.

Last edited:

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Confirming …. NEVER read that rag.

He was big improvement on Ryan but with flaws to his game to date, a million miles away from Courtois, Alisson and Ederson. Never a £70m keeper.
Stats are very similar to Maty Ryan. Sanchez couldn’t save a pen.

Maty was brilliant amongst the fans and a fabulous ambassador.

Sanchez just spat the dummy, always up for a Clanger and never worth 70 million.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is my take too.

He was a very good keeper, we were all delighted by his ability to command his area and claim crosses when he first came in for Ryan.

He was good with his feet (for a goalkeeper!), just not quite up to the extreme standard needed to play the De Zervi way. He probably could be, but clearly wasn't prepared to put effort in.

When Ben Roberts left and it clearly affected him badly, and he wasn't quite the same after that. I suspect he'd already made the decision he wanted to move on at that point.
Very much this. I don't know about not putting the effort in - perhaps it was more that he didn't like the changes that he was being asked to make. I'm sure I remember, quite early on, de Zerbi saying something like, "Robert is a good goalkeeper, but he needs to listen to Ricard" (de Zerbi's GK coach).
In retrospect, maybe the danger signs of a clash were there earlier than any of us realised. Sadly, he may well turn out to be a good buy for Chelsea, under the guidance of Ben Roberts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here