Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The cost of quality strikers...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Do we really want to blow 3-4 million on a midget from Bristol City who has fewer goals at this level than Chris O'Grady? We need a presence up front someone capable of leading the line, someone like Ulloa. The only names mentioned on this thread capable of doing that are Murray and Holt, they might be getting on but they are proven goal scorers at this level and give us a physical presence up front we are sorely lacking, either that or hope we find another Ulloa in the Spanish lower leagues.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Murray is EXACTLY what we need.

Anyone that wouldnt want him back because he decided to join 'our rivals' need their heads examined.

He is a proven goalscorer at this level.

I for one would be delighted to see him back in the stripes.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Burke may or may not be poor at his job but there's no point having a dig at him for not spending 5m+ and 20 grand a week on a player. He doesn't set the budget.

The fees paid for the players you mention are the fees paid for the established player. It seems highly unlikely that we are going to spend that kind of money so there's little point going on about it. What we need to do is identify these type of strikers before they become established. McCormack, for example, cost leeds 350k. Ulloa 2m. Rhodes 350k. Deeney 500k.

If that's Burke job, we are going down, simples.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
McCormack goes to Fulham for £11m, Ulloa goes to Leicester for £8m, Forset pay £5m for the lad from Posh(not going to attempt to spell his name)....You could argue all them fees are crazy, which I think they are. But that is what people are paying. We offer £1.5 for Baldock. No wonder Bristol City laughed at us, they must think we are taking the piss. Quality costs, that's the long and short of it. It maybe crazy money I agree but it's what people are going for. We need a striker, or else we are in big trouble, I think everyone would agree, The question is how much will we have to pay??? I suggest you will get nothing decent for less than £3.5m , unless someone is in the last year of their contract and then the price will be lumped onto his signing on fee and wage packet......oh and you won't get that quality for £10k a week either.....So Burke(lol) can make as many calls as he likes and try as hard as we keep getting told he is trying. You will get nothing quality for peanuts, FACT.

Rarely I say this, but you are spot on. Are the fees ridiculous? Yes. But that's irrelevant, prices are what people are prepared to pay.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I think this thread and others shows how hard this process is unless you are prepared to really splash the cash on the transfer fee AND pay the wages. We can now afford plenty of strikers but paying them the wages they expect is unlikely. I admire Bloom for sticking to his wage structure in spite of the keyboard warriors who are happy to spend his money and also for trying to make the club as self-financing as it's realistically possible to do. However, this means we have to accept we are not going to get hugely exciting signings and have to hope that our scouting network uncovers a couple of gems.
And it's worth considering that players such as Konchesky, Lingard and Hammond who some would consider underwhelming signings all played today in the premiership. That said, I think even the most pro-club supporter (and probably the board) would admit that the club, for whatever reason, have backed themselves into a bit of a corner during this transfer window but it happens and all we can do is hope that they pull a few rabbits out of the hat in the next couple of weeks and support whatever players put on the shirt as much as we can.

How good would it be if we pulled another Peter Ward out of obscurity

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Rarely I say this, but you are spot on. Are the fees ridiculous? Yes. But that's irrelevant, prices are what people are prepared to pay.

A rare moment in history indeed.....You get what you pay for I'm afraid £500k on O'Grady is just not going to cut the mustard. He would be ok as a 4th choice striker, nothing more, maybe third at a push. The only difference between O'Grady and Hoskins, is that O'Grady is fit. Barnes and Ulloa are yet to be replaced. It's awful planning really.....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
A rare moment in history indeed.....You get what you pay for I'm afraid £500k on O'Grady is just not going to cut the mustard. He would be ok as a 4th choice striker, nothing more, maybe third at a push. The only difference between O'Grady and Hoskins, is that O'Grady is fit. Barnes and Ulloa are yet to be replaced. It's awful planning really.....

I think O'Grady was signed as 3rd or 4th choice striker, which is fine, he'll do a decent enough job for that. The problem is we haven't managed to sign a 1st or 2nd choice striker.

I'm still confident we'll get a couple more in, but it's going to be a transitional season that's for sure. That's OK though, as long as push on next year. Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two forwards.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

A question, would you be happy to spend the big money on transfers and wages and disregard FFP?

It's not a dig in anyway just a question......

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
A question, would you be happy to spend the big money on transfers and wages and disregard FFP?

It's not a dig in anyway just a question......

Ok, I got a question for you. Do you really think the people running Forest and Leeds and a few other clubs who don't get p.payments and don't get the crowds we do and don't charge the fans what we do and haven't had the income in fee's we have had. Are that stupid that they just disregard ffp??? Or do you think we are probably over playing it a bit, as a smoke screen for not spending any money. When are we going to see some effect on other clubs of ffp??? Next week, next month, next year,,,,never??? It will probably just be a fine anyway, which the club will pay off buy selling the very players, they bought anyway.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Ok, I got a question for you. Do you really think the people running Forest and Leeds and a few other clubs who don't get p.payments and don't get the crowds we do and don't charge the fans what we do and haven't had the income in fee's we have had. Are that stupid that they just disregard ffp??? Or do you think we are probably over playing it a bit, as a smoke screen for not spending any money. When are we going to see some effect on other clubs of ffp??? Next week, next month, next year,,,,never??? It will probably just be a fine anyway, which the club will pay off buy selling the very players, they bought anyway.

You didn't answer my question kev....

But my answer to yours is I don't honestly know. You say Leeds didn't have the income we had but sold McCormack for 11m.
I can't comment on forest and Leeds or anyone else because I can't give an accurate answer......I hear what your saying...I'm not thrilled either if it's any consolation,

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I think O'Grady was signed as 3rd or 4th choice striker, which is fine, he'll do a decent enough job for that. The problem is we haven't managed to sign a 1st or 2nd choice striker.

I'm still confident we'll get a couple more in, but it's going to be a transitional season that's for sure. That's OK though, as long as push on next year. Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two forwards.

Last year was supposed to be a transitional season wasn't it??? Now this year is going to be one and I dare say next season will be one as well. You wouldn't be in transition if the manager had his squad and staff in place for pre season, when the work and planning is suppose to begin. Sure all teams make signings right up until the window closes, but we need half a team ffs and you think them players will hit the ground running??? We will end up with a load of panic buys to fill the squad, we are in big trouble......A question for you, when do you start to panic,,3 games, 4 games, 5 games without a point??? Because we don't look capable of winning a game atm, that the real worry, Not the fact we are losing, but the manner in which we are losing, against weak sides, who we can't even get a goal against.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here