Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
(Some) numbers updated..................

Infections - 2,064 rolling 7 day down 6.5%
Deaths - 6, rolling 7 day down 6.9%
Admissions - 132, rolling 7 day down 21.3% (20/4)
Jabs - 77k 1st and 260k 2nd, 33.8m & 12.9m cumulative
In hospital - 1,712 (22/4)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
From Sky News:

Scientists trialling 'COVID pill' which could kill the virus within days

Scientists are trialling a coronavirus pill which they say could end the need for further lockdowns.

Antiviral drugs are being looked into as a way of preventing coronavirus spreading by stopping early-stage infections in people who test positive.

Last week, Boris Johnson said antivirals could be given out on the NHS for people to take at home, in a bid to stop the virus in its tracks and pave the way back to normal life.

Favipiravir – which may work to stop early infections – is in UK trials and the results are expected in six months.

Chief trial investigator Professor Kevin Blyth, of Glasgow University, told the Daily Mirror: "It would be a huge step forward if antiviral drugs work.

"You don't have any hospital services being put under enormous pressure because patients never come to the hospital.

"Normal services can function and you don't have to have lockdown or other draconian control measures."

According to the paper, scientists hope that eventually an antiviral tablet will be able to kill off COVID infections when taken within a few days of contracting the virus.

It is hoped that Favipiravir may do exactly this.

Prof Blyth added: "Certainly over the next six months we should be able to get an answer."

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Good News for those of us living in Maldon.

315th of 315 English Local Authorities for Covid cases.

With zero cases

20210426_190837.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not to bring a good news thread down, but any good news for India on the horizon does anyone know? Seems desperate over there at the moment.

This is a global pandemic. We surely all need to be in this together if we're to beat it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not to bring a good news thread down, but any good news for India on the horizon does anyone know? Seems desperate over there at the moment.

This is a global pandemic. We surely all need to be in this together if we're to beat it.

On a good news thread, the EU and UK are sending oxygen concentrators and ventilators, the first from the UK arriving tomorrow. The US are immediately ending their ban on vaccine raw material exports.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-56881083

Oxygen is life!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
More of a discussion for the main thread I’d suggest

Fair enough. I don't want to bring this thread down.

I don't think I've ever read the main thread tbh, wherever it is, as I ended up having to go a bit ostrich during the worst of times.

I do pop in here occasionally though to see some hope. Good work all on that front.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
(Some) numbers updated..................

Infections - 2,064 rolling 7 day down 6.5%
Deaths - 6, rolling 7 day down 6.9%
Admissions - 132, rolling 7 day down 21.3% (20/4)
Jabs - 77k 1st and 260k 2nd, 33.8m & 12.9m cumulative
In hospital - 1,712 (22/4)

Great to see that admission figure continuing to fall like that

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
NHS site now allowing age 42 and up to book a Coronavirus vaccine.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
On a good news thread, the EU and UK are sending oxygen concentrators and ventilators, the first from the UK arriving tomorrow.

Australia also doing likewise announced overnight

saulth

May 28, 2020
Another country that registers zero deaths for the first time in months (since August 2020!): Portugal. Also only 196 new cases which is very very low, and 17 new admissions (which is also low).

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Another country that registers zero deaths for the first time in months (since August 2020!): Portugal. Also only 196 new cases which is very very low, and 17 new admissions (which is also low).

You have to ask yourself when we can just not really bother with even reporting the figures...from my memories its more dangerous to drive in Portugal.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Just had a call from my Surgery to book this 41 year olds jab :)

Out of interest, where are you booked in for? I am able to book from today but if I go on the nhs site the nearest place is Portsmouth! Should I wait to be called by my surgery? I’m Worthing way...

Yoda

English & European
Out of interest, where are you booked in for? I am able to book from today but if I go on the nhs site the nearest place is Portsmouth! Should I wait to be called by my surgery? I’m Worthing way...

Lancing Parish Hall, but that's because it's the Surgeries Vaccination Centre and I'm still with Ball Tree/Kingfisher Surgeries even though I live in Worthing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Much more of the same........all trends good.

Infections - 2,685, rolling 7 day down 5.8%
Deaths - 17, rolling 7 day down 20.7%
Admissions - 169, rolling 7 day also down 20.7%
Jabs - 90k 1st and 305k 2nd, cumulative 33.8m and 13.2m
In hospital - 1,608

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here