[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yeah was thinking this - obviously we had always hoped to see no more lockdowns, but to see the usually cautious Whitty willing to come out and say it suggests he is seeing data that is very reassuring.

I’ve decided to take the telegraphs free one month trial so I could read the whole article....can’t say I’ve ever read Whitty when he’s been so positive but more importantly balanced

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I’ve decided to take the telegraphs free one month trial so I could read the whole article....can’t say I’ve ever read Whitty when he’s been so positive but more importantly balanced

The Telegraph has been mostly positive through out the pandemic.
There are 2 very good articles today;

State of Fear: how ministers 'used covert tactics' to keep scared public at home and The apocalyptic schools Covid spike predicted by scientists simply hasn't materialised.

Both articles are very much good news and basically saying we are through the worst now and time to open up society.

Good to see MSM getting positive vibes out

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Telegraph has been mostly positive through out the pandemic.
There are 2 very good articles today;

State of Fear: how ministers 'used covert tactics' to keep scared public at home and The apocalyptic schools Covid spike predicted by scientists simply hasn't materialised.

Both articles are very much good news and basically saying we are through the worst now and time to open up society.

Good to see MSM getting positive vibes out

They can’t hide it any more...the UK progress in the last couple of months has been way beyond even the most optimistic modelling/predictions.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I believe this to be true and would suggest high lights where we are at ..including MSM not following covid figures seven days a week :)

1E7A4230-286C-470C-83BD-04EB8BFFD154.png

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I believe this to be true and would suggest high lights where we are at ..including MSM not following covid figures seven days a week :)

View attachment 135528

Thank god. The MSM have been a disgrace throughout this entire pandemic. Even on days when numbers have been very low and positive they manage to still spin it as bad news. Must have been shockingly negative for anyone stuffing mental health problems.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What is MSM?

As above, it stands for Main Stream Media - the type of large media outlet that normal people rely on. It’s also much maligned by certain types - often conspiracy theorists or people at extreme ends of the political spectrum - as lacking balance when it reports facts that people don’t want to be true.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
There is a perfectly valid debate to be had about tone and content of the media coverage of Covid.
There is also a perfectly valid place to have that debate - and it isn't on this thread.

Meanwhile, Zoe App figures still dropping nicely. 3,150 estimated new symptomatic infections on 30th March, three weeks after schools returned. Compared to around 3,400 (?) the day before.

And total estimated number of infected (symptomatic) people now below 60,000 @ 59,479. So well below one in every 1,000 people in UK.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers today........particularly note the number of deaths. Remarkable - 254 in the last 7 days, that’s 197 down on the prior 7 days.

Infections- 3,423, rolling 7 day down 28.3%
Deaths - 10, rolling 7 day down 43.7%
Admissions- 273, rolling 7 day down 23.4%
Jabs - 107k 1st and 246k 2nd, cumulative 31.4m & 5.2m
In hospital- 3,536

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Numbers today........particularly note the number of deaths. Remarkable - 254 in the last 7 days, that’s 197 down on the prior 7 days.

Infections- 3,423, rolling 7 day down 28.3%
Deaths - 10, rolling 7 day down 43.7%
Admissions- 273, rolling 7 day down 23.4%
Jabs - 107k 1st and 246k 2nd, cumulative 31.4m & 5.2m
In hospital- 3,536

Great progress.

Why the lower vax numbers, were many of the centres closed to give everyone a well earned rest?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great progress.

Why the lower vax numbers, were many of the centres closed to give everyone a well earned rest?

No idea......but as it was a B/H that would make sense. Like you say, well-earned if so.......I know a couple of jabbers and they’ve been working very long shifts most days.

The deaths, admissions and ‘people in hospital’ numbers have been (and still are) on a remarkable and sustained downward trend......to my mind these are absolutely the key metrics. The infection numbers might drift up a bit as we ease lockdown measures (although even that hasn’t happened with the return of schools) but if the very vast majority of people aren’t getting seriously ill then we’ve cracked it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No idea......but as it was a B/H that would make sense. Like you say, well-earned if so.......I know a couple of jabbers and they’ve been working very long shifts most days.

The deaths, admissions and ‘people in hospital’ numbers have been (and still are) on a remarkable and sustained downward trend......to my mind these are absolutely the key metrics. The infection numbers might drift up a bit as we ease lockdown measures (although even that hasn’t happened with the return of schools) but if the very vast majority of people aren’t getting seriously ill then we’ve cracked it.

Totally agree.

Some doom-mongers have refocused their negativity onto the SA variant and future mutations reaching these shores. That’s always in the back of my mind, understandable caution after the rollercoaster of the last 13 months. BUT:
1. There’s a huge investment in and a small army of highly skilled virologists tasked solely in virus surveillance and sequencing ahead of new mutations; and
2. OAZ, Pfizer, Moderna will be working 24-7 on improving their vaccines to cater for the SA variant and any other dangerous variants as and when they arise.

So much has been learnt by the science community in such a short time, giving further cause to be optimistic.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thread needs a bounce...some more startling numbers on infections and deaths :

Infections - 2,297, rolling 7 day down 29.7%
Deaths - 10, rolling 7 day down 43.9%
Admissions - not updated
Jabs - 97k 1st and 176k 2nd, cumulative 31.5m & 5.4m
In hospital - not updated

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thread needs a bounce...some more startling numbers on infections and deaths :

Infections - 2,297, rolling 7 day down 29.7%
Deaths - 10, rolling 7 day down 43.9%
Admissions - not updated
Jabs - 97k 1st and 176k 2nd, cumulative 31.5m & 5.4m
In hospital - not updated

Startling is very apt

I’ll add a Tim Spector tweet for good measure

New Covid cases now below 3000 per day and upto a third of these may be false positives -as all areas see falls - Happy Easter ��

https://twitter.com/timspector/status/1378741570514587649?s=21

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Rumours coming out that the cabinet has approved the next phase of unlocking for next Monday after a thorough analysis of the data and despite some members unease common sense has prevailed and non essential retail and outdoor hospitality WILL reopen next Monday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports