[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Bitchy, argumentative comments in a positive thread. When I mentioned the folk involved already.

This thread must make your blood boil :lolol:

Why wouldn't I love this thread ?

I think you may be mixing me up with someone else. Have a look at each and every contribution I have made to this thread :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’d classify this as good news..happy to be corrected

No more lockdowns – Britain will treat Covid like flu, says Chris Whitty
Accepting some virus deaths is price of allowing people to live a 'whole life', says chief medical officer

[tweet]1377899210306117632[/tweet]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Accepting some virus deaths is price of allowing people to live a 'whole life', says chief medical officer

https://twitter.com/drcharlesl/status/1377899210306117632?s=21

Yeah was thinking this - obviously we had always hoped to see no more lockdowns, but to see the usually cautious Whitty willing to come out and say it suggests he is seeing data that is very reassuring.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
[TWEET]1377942823534747651[/TWEET]

To put this into perspective, that figure equates to roughly 1 in 1,000 people with the virus. I forget the exact quote, but I seem recall that in the peak of the January madness the ratio got as low as 1 in 20, and even lower in certain parts of the country.

It’s almost incomprehensible how far we’ve come in such a short space of time, and it’s difficult to look beyond our genuinely astonishing vaccination programme as the primary driver for that.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

[tweet]1377899210306117632[/tweet]

It certainly is good news if for no other reason than we have someone privvy to all the figures and information confident that this is now going to be nowhere near as dangerous going forward as it was a year (or even 6 months) ago. Many of the experts were fairly confident that once the initial danger has passed post-vaccination it would end up being something treated like the flu (annual booster for the vulnerable else if you catch it you'll be ill but probably not seriously) so good to know they were right in that call.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers updated - most notably a big drop in infections, in line with the Zoe data and a continuing plummeting of the weekly death total

Infections - 3,402, rolling 7 day down 26.6%
Deaths - 52, rolling 7 day down 38.2% (302 last 7 days)
Admissions - 273, rolling 7 day down 23.5%
Vaccs - 158k first and 435k second, cumulative 31.3m and 4.9m
In hospital - 3,713 (not updated)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What strikes me is how the low figures are still dropping so steadily, bodes well as after previous lockdowns the numbers have plateaued at a low figure or started creeping back up again

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Numbers updated - most notably a big drop in infections, in line with the Zoe data and a continuing plummeting of the weekly death total

Infections - 3,402, rolling 7 day down 26.6%
Deaths - 52, rolling 7 day down 38.2% (302 last 7 days)
Admissions - 273, rolling 7 day down 23.5%
Vaccs - 158k first and 435k second, cumulative 31.3m and 4.9m
In hospital - 3,713 (not updated)

This is fantastic, if we can hold our nerve for the next two months until early June and there is no stupidity as we re-open I genuinely think this is the last national lockdown and lives will be as close to pre March 2029 as they can be. Given the extra testing this us better then the most optimistic modelling after schools returned.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is fantastic, if we can hold our nerve for the next two months until early June and there is no stupidity as we re-open I genuinely think this is the last national lockdown and lives will be as close to pre March 2029 as they can be. Given the extra testing this us better then the most optimistic modelling after schools returned.

Are you Marty Mcfly ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports