Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

Now down to 6,553 in UK Hospitals according to this website which tends to be a little bit ahead in days of the official Government figures when it comes to reporting people in Hospital - Great site too

At 1/6th of the peak, that’s incredible in two months.

To benchmark, the BBC reported this morning that French hospitals are now at near capacity. Hence their new lockdown starting tonight.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the Telegraph :

Children's return to school hasn't led to rise in infections, figures show

Children returning to school has not led to a rise in Covid infections, as the first data shows just 0.05 per cent of secondary students tested positive.

Of the 2,762,775 lateral flow tests that were carried out on secondary pupils, just 1,324 were positive, according to the first official figures.

A detailed analysis by Prof Jon Deeks, an expert in biostatistics at Birmingham University, has found that the number of positive cases among pupils are far lower than ministers expected.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
From the Telegraph :

Children returning to school has not led to a rise in Covid infections, as the first data shows just 0.05 per cent of secondary students tested positive.

Of the 2,762,775 lateral flow tests that were carried out on secondary pupils, just 1,324 were positive, according to the first official figures.

A detailed analysis by Prof Jon Deeks, an expert in biostatistics at Birmingham University, has found that the number of positive cases among pupils are far lower than ministers expected.

I wonder if that is due to prior infection in the autumn, cases were widely thought to be driven by older teenage schoolchildren and students returning to uni. Great news though, I believe my wife's school has only returned one positive test.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
From the Telegraph :

Excellent news, this was the real big potential banana skin in the roadmap IMHO (at least foreseeable one)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Excellent news, this was the real big potential banana skin in the roadmap IMHO (at least foreseeable one)

That's what I was thinking and why I though it was worth posting. It's been evident in the daily infection numbers - although they've plateaued slightly now, the number of daily tests being conducted has almost tripled so it was clear there was little or no impact of the schools returning (so far anyway). We're almost two weeks into that now and I think we'd have seen it if it was going to happen.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's what I was thinking and why I though it was worth posting. It's been evident in the daily infection numbers - although they've plateaued slightly now, the number of daily tests being conducted has almost tripled so it was clear there was little or no impact of the schools returning (so far anyway). We're almost two weeks into that now and I think we'd have seen it if it was going to happen.

Exactly my take as well, there was a real possibility that cases would increase dramatically when schools returned and the level of testing ramped up however, as yet, this has clearly not happened.

Given more people are now leaving hospital as opposed to being admitted for Covid things look extremely sunny for the future.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Exactly my take as well, there was a real possibility that cases would increase dramatically when schools returned and the level of testing ramped up however, as yet, this has clearly not happened.

Given more people are now leaving hospital as opposed to being admitted for Covid things look extremely sunny for the future.

There is a lag in both infections and then reporting. So West Sussex is starting to see a few infection rates creeping up but from a very low base and too early to say if there is any trend. Warmer weather would definetly help, as there is then no issues with having all the school windows open.

https://wsx-c19-mobile.netlify.app/#home

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1372941695155904520[/TWEET]

Nice to see a decent drop in cases, this long after schools opened. Got to be close to our last over-100 deaths day also, you’d hope.

Also - whisper it, but with approx. 50% of adults vaccinated and another decent number having been previously infected, we must be getting close to some sort of...herd immunity.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers update :

Quite notable today - a drop in infections (despite huge testing volumes), the rolling 7 day drop in deaths is as high as it's been, the number of people in hospital has plummeted further (number wasn't updated yesterday) and a massive number of vaccinations. Finally, just taken Mrs D to HH for her jab - was there 6 minutes in total from entering and exiting the car park. Amazing.

Infections - 4,807, rolling 7 day down 8.7% (1.43m tests, up 5.9% rolling 7 day)
Deaths - 101 - rolling 7 day down 36.8%
Admissions - 494, rolling 7 day down 23.2%
Jabs - 528k first and 132k second, cumulative 26.2m and 2m (and 50% of the adult population have now had their first dose)
In hospital - 6,544 - still way more going out than in.
On ventilation - 879, another significant fall

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Another small drop is showing in the @Join_ZOE COVID Symptom Study app today. The latest figure of 4,362 estimated daily new cases compares with 4,416 yesterday.

76,214 people are currently predicted to have symptomatic COVID in the UK, down from 78,389 in 24 hours.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers update :

Infections - 5,587, rolling 7 day down 7.5%
Deaths - 96, rolling 7 day down 36.9% (and under 700 for the 7 day period)
Admissions - 496, rolling 7 day down 23%
Vaccs - 589k and 121k - around 1% of the UK population was vaccinated in a single day........! Cumulative 26.8m & 2.1m
People in hospital - 6,162 - another big fall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here