Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Argus says that the Hove vaccine hub has administered first jab to all the over 80s on their patch and believe at current pace they can get to everyone in 2 to 3 months

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Argus says that the Hove vaccine hub has administered first jab to all the over 80s on their patch and believe at current pace they can get to everyone in 2 to 3 months

This is the article [MENTION=27239]atomised[/MENTION] mentions. Really shows the hard work these people are putting in to getting the vaccine into peoples arms. Well done to all the medical staff and volunteers around the country who are making this happen.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19045019.coronavirus-woman-leading-hoves-vaccination-effort/

saulth

May 28, 2020
Some potentially very good news about monoclonal antibody treatment.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma...tail-for-passive-vaccination-fresh-trial-data

The New York-based biotech released preliminary data from an ongoing phase 3 trial of its antibody cocktail REGEN-COV (previously REGN-COV2) in people at high risk of contracting COVID-19 because of exposure to family members with the disease. The results justify using the drug for “passive vaccination,” the company said today.

REGEN-COV was 100% effective at preventing symptoms of COVID-19 in the trial as compared to placebo, the company announced. Passive vaccination with the drug slashed the overall rate of infection by half. All the infections that did occur among trial participants on the drug were asymptomatic, lasted no more than one week and showed a “short duration” of the viral shedding that can drive the illness to other people, Regeneron said.

“The REGEN-COV antibody cocktail may be able to help break this chain by providing immediate passive immunity to those at high risk of infection, in contrast to active vaccines which take weeks to provide protection.”

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1354733890062135298[/TWEET]

A Doctor from Maccabi has also made the very good point that a lot of this early data is based on the very old, and very vulnerable - as they were the first to be vaccinated.

So if data is this good on people where the vaccines are least likely to work, it bodes very well.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A Doctor from Maccabi has also made the very good point that a lot of this early data is based on the very old, and very vulnerable. So if data is this good on people where the vaccines are least likely to work, it bodes very well.

The really key thing for me here is the '0 serious cases' bit - this is the ticket back to normality. People may still get symptoms, but will be protected against getting seriously ill, hospitalised (so no NHS crisis) and death. The fact that it's also the most vulnerable that have avoided becoming seriously ill is fantastic. Bodes very well for the remainder of the population.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The really key thing for me here is the '0 serious cases' bit - this is the ticket back to normality. People may still get symptoms, but will be protected against getting seriously ill, hospitalised (so no NHS crisis) and death. The fact that it's also the most vulnerable that have avoided becoming seriously ill is fantastic. Bodes very well for the remainder of the population.

Aye ..less fear in understanding that it will be endemic in society but not a nation changer

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
This is the article [MENTION=27239]atomised[/MENTION] mentions. Really shows the hard work these people are putting in to getting the vaccine into peoples arms. Well done to all the medical staff and volunteers around the country who are making this happen.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19045019.coronavirus-woman-leading-hoves-vaccination-effort/

100% this.

My missus was in at 5.30 this morning doing her usual job running the Radiopharmacy, will be picking up the youngest from school this afternoon, then back to the vaccination centre at the RSCH for a 4.30 - 8pm shift!!

Will get her a little bottle of Prosecco on my way home tonight I think...shes going to need it!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

this is absolutly most important. we're not going to get to 0 cases, what really matters is serious cases are near zero. then it'll just be like any other disease.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just got a message from my 74 year old techno-useless sister-in-law. "Got my letter to book vacations exciting"

I'm assuming she meant vaccination :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Aye ..less fear in understanding that it will be endemic in society but not a nation changer

Indeed.

I think if anything - with the amount of money and focus on it at the moment - it will continue to be with us but likely to become less deadly than flu. The work on antibody treatments continues to be really impressive.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just got a message from my 74 year old techno-useless sister-in-law. "Got my letter to book vacations exciting"

I'm assuming she meant vaccination :lolol:

Well it ultimately means booking vacations so two birds ha

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Patients admitted to hospital rolling 7 day number drops again - now down 11%. The nu,ber being admitted looks to be falling steadily on the graph now (in line, with a lag, with the positive cases)
Positive tests 28k, now down 29.4% on prior 7 day period (that's 83k fewer in a week)
282k first dose vaccinations reported for yesterday, and at 7.447m we're therefore roughly half way through the 15m in identified most vulnerable groups

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here