Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A few comments. I think, at this stage at least, the case numbers aren’t really surging. Yes, they are slightly higher than two to three weeks ago but probably only back to the levels they were at this time last month.

Then there’s the cohort. Unlike March / April, I suspect a much lower proportion of the cases are in vulnerable people, such as those in care homes. Far more likely is that the cases are largely young people who have been mixing in spaces such as pubs etc. The percentage of asymptomatic cases is thought to be much higher than early on in the pandemic.

Then of course are the treatment options and our general understanding of the virus. We know markedly more than we did in March, and for that reason the outcome for the average person infected is likely to be much better than it was then. It’s also possible that due to the fact that social interaction remains significantly lower than it was pre-pandemic, people are being exposed to lower viral loads.

What we have now is an economic balancing act. I’ve revised my previous opinion that the virus is fizzling out; it may be less serious than it was for the reasons above however it’s not going to disappear without the help of a vaccine. The government is trying to reopen the economy as much as possible whilst keeping case and subsequently death numbers at a relatively flat and ‘acceptable’ level. We can’t eliminate it, so we have to tread water until there is a vaccine.

In keeping with this thread, there does seem to be a degree of quiet confidence that we may have something readily available before year end. And what a remarkable feat that would be.

Absolutely all of this.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
90-minute Coronavirus tests now being rolled out to hospitals and care homes from next week.

Could see further easing of restrictions once these are in place and running efficiently, being able to more accurately narrow in on where the virus is in the UK is vital.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53632043

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
90-minute Coronavirus tests now being rolled out to hospitals and care homes from next week.

Could see further easing of restrictions once these are in place and running efficiently, being able to more accurately narrow in on where the virus is in the UK is vital.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53632043

Hopefully this is the game changer to finally fight back and allow this country and others to fully open up

saulth

May 28, 2020
Another potential game changer when it comes to faster testing. This sounds very impressive:

A hospital research team in the southern city of Lyon has come up with an instant breath test to tell whether someone has coronavirus or not. The discovery could pave the way for new coronavirus testing beyond throat and nose swabs.

It may be too early to say whether testing a person's breath for Covid-19 will be a game changer in France's efforts to tackle the pandemic, but for some researchers, it is a step in the right direction.

"We're pretty confident we're on the right track," Christian George, director of the National Centre of Scientific Research (CNRS) at the la Croix-Rousse hospital in Lyon told Reuters.

"Two months ago, we still knew very little about this disease, and now, we are starting to get information that is becoming clearer by the day," he noted.

That information is given out by a new breathalyser: a grey machine, the size of a refrigerator, that identifies chemical compounds in exhaled air.

The contraption is currently being tested on patients at the la Croix-Rousse hospital.

Patients are required to blow into a tube and in a matter of seconds they are told if they have Covid-19 or not.

https://www.rfi.fr/en/science-and-t...vent-breath-test-spot-covid-19-air-we-breathe

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Another potential game changer when it comes to faster testing. This sounds very impressive:

If the accuracy is there, it's a route whereby we can get back into pubs, weddings and of course the football

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A nice comment from Dr David Nabarro, the World Health Organization's special envoy on Covid-19

the virus is "capable of surging back really quickly" and stressed the importance of being able to trace, test and isolate people.

"If we can do that, and do it well, then the surges are kept really small, they're dealt with quickly and life can go on," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

He later said he thinks Britain "will do really well" because there is "really good attention to where the virus is locally" and a lot of "public engagement in getting on top of it".

A government statement said local authorities will "be able to determine the best action to take to help curb the spread of the virus should there be a rise in cases".

Promising independent view of how we are dealing with things now. Good bloke, reassuring.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53638083

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
One positive message at the top, then dozens of outraged, racist gammons working themselves into a frenzy below.

More Tweets is always a cesspit, the worst of humanity. Not quite sure why Twitter thinks I want all that sludge.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There are a lot of weird comments on there, but racist?

The Farage one definitely, but i'd expect nothing less. Anyway. I shouldn't have started the discussion on the good news thread so i'll withdraw from more comments on this because I get ticked off!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here