Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Spain just announced freedom of movement as of midnight this sunday 21st. Up until then people have not been able to move from one country to another.

Also borders with Shengen countries will also reopen other than Portugal which will reopen on 1st July. Unfortunately the UK is not a member of Shengen so I'm not sure yet how that will affect us.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Spain just announced freedom of movement as of midnight this sunday 21st. Up until then people have not been able to move from one country to another.

Also borders with Shengen countries will also reopen other than Portugal which will reopen on 1st July. Unfortunately the UK is not a member of Shengen so I'm not sure yet how that will affect us.

I'm assuming however that social distancing is still in place? Has there been any noise in Spain as to when that may be relaxed say, for families?

“Government sources confirmed on Sunday evening that despite having left the bloc earlier this year, the United Kingdom is still considered an EU member state given that it is in a transition period and enjoys full membership rights. This means that UK travelers will also be able to enter Spain from June 21.”

“From June 21, travelers arriving in the country will no longer be required to stay in quarantine for two weeks”

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-06-14/spain-will-reopen-borders-to-eu-states-on-june-21-prime-minister-pedro-sanchez-tells-regional-chiefs.html

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
NHS England announces only 28 deaths today, 59 last Monday which itself was low. Confirms that yesterday’s 27 wasn’t due to any data problem. Numbers will rise tomorrow as Tuesday is a catch up day from weekends but shows good progress, week on week.

I'm assuming however that social distancing is still in place? Has there been any noise in Spain as to when that may be relaxed say, for families?

The Government are describing it as "the new reality" ! After they lift the "State of Alarm" at midnight on the 21st, they are no longer authorised to impose any measures, only advise, and they advise people to social distance and wear masks when in shops, theatres etc, or any space where you can’t be 2 metres apart.

D

Deleted member 22389

NHS England announces only 28 deaths today, 59 last Monday which itself was low. Confirms that yesterday’s 27 wasn’t due to any data problem. Numbers will rise tomorrow as Tuesday is a catch up day from weekends but shows good progress, week on week.

Thanks for the update

D

Deleted member 22389

Daughter went back to school today. Felt like she was never going to go back. Not having her around in the day was strange.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Ikea has said it is planning to repay salaries paid by governments around the world under furlough schemes.

It is set to repay nine governments, including the US and Ireland.

But it will not include the UK because, although the furniture chain furloughed 10,000 workers there, it said it did not claim any money from the government's job retention scheme.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Also reported new cases dipping below 1,000 for first time since late March

I think 1,056 is the official number for the UK. From only c. 93,000 tests however, so it would be good to know whether that's a low figure because fewer people are now requesting tests due to a lower prevalence of symptoms or just an 'off-day'.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I think 1,056 is the official number for the UK. From only c. 93,000 tests however, so it would be good to know whether that's a low figure because fewer people are now requesting tests due to a lower prevalence of symptoms or just an 'off-day'.

Ah, got it from a second hand source. Anyway, I don't think (as said elsewhere) these figures are prticularly meaningful beyond the long term trend. Too many variables.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Interesting that all the sad deaths had underlying health conditions.

In England, a further 28 people who tested positive for Covid-19 have died. It brings the total number of confirmed deaths in English hospitals to 27,982, NHS England said.

The patients were aged between 59 and 100 and all had underlying health conditions.

So maybe our fantastic Dr and nurses have found better ways to treat patients or the virus has mutated into something less deadly ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here