Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

saulth

May 28, 2020
Italy reports 435 patients in ICU. At the peak of infections, two months ago, they had more than 4000. Moreover the patients in ICU are roughly 1% of their current active cases. It was 6-7% back then.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Due to the fact deaths that are announced daily aren’t actually from the last 24 hours and often backdated I thought I’d go back to previous Sunday’s and have a look at how it compares when looking at last 5 day deaths rather than the actual announced number.

NHS England hospitals ONLY

This Sunday: 53 deaths
Last Sunday: 85 deaths
Sunday 17th May: (System down so number incomparable)
Sunday 10th May: 163
Sunday 3rd May: 239
Sunday 26th April: 295
Sunday 19th April: 452

Shows just how far we’ve come, and whilst it’s not good news people are still dying I take solace in the fact that we are now nearly 90% down on where we were 6 weeks ago.

Yoda

English & European
My wife read that great news for the Germans that they appear to have more immunity than others. That would explain why their figures are so much lower than the rest of Europe.

Was that the gist of it?

*BIG piece of tongue in cheek:

Perhaps Hitler was right. The White German male is the master race.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

saulth

May 28, 2020
Ties in with another report I saw from Russia. Dubious on their own but if this sort of thing is starting to be corroborated globally this is amazing news :thumbsup:

Fernando Simon, director of the Coordination Centre for Health Alerts and Emergencies in Spain, said they're also noticing less severe infections now, when a journalist asked him about the reports from Italian doctors last Friday.

It's interesting to note as well that one of the leaders in vaccine development in Spain, Luis Enjuanes, stated already back in April that he was convinced the virus would be noticeably "tamed" by June. He's been studying coronaviruses for 35 years and that's what he expected based on his own experience. By the way, he tested positive some weeks ago, but it was a totally asymptomatic case and he's already back to work.

We need scientific evidence and more reports to back this, but it's starting to sound promising when you see doctors from several countries agreeing on it.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Ties in with another report I saw from Russia. Dubious on their own but if this sort of thing is starting to be corroborated globally this is amazing news :thumbsup:

Yeah we’re seeing an increasing amount of data supporting this view now, definitely worth more study and research, hopefully the trend continues, maybe, just maybe there is light and the end of a very gloomy tunnel.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Fernando Simon, director of the Coordination Centre for Health Alerts and Emergencies in Spain, said they're also noticing less severe infections now, when a journalist asked him about the reports from Italian doctors last Friday.

It's interesting to note as well that one of the leaders in vaccine development in Spain, Luis Enjuanes, stated already back in April that he was convinced the virus would be noticeably "tamed" by June. He's been studying coronaviruses for 35 years and that's what he expected based on his own experience. By the way, he tested positive some weeks ago, but it was a totally asymptomatic case and he's already back to work.

We need scientific evidence and more reports to back this, but it's starting to sound promising when you see doctors from several countries agreeing on it.
This information has made my day.

Let's hope it gets fully confirmed by further study.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Well I will clarify... we still have COVID patients at PRH, but the Main Covid Ward, Twineham is now no longer Covid and open as normal.

Now only Pyecombe is RED, so a big step in right direction.

I think I read the other day that the RSC only has 2/3 ICU beds occupied by COVID patients, hospitals across the U.K. seem to be reporting similar with numbers of COVID patients dwindling, perhaps adding further to the evidence the virus could potentially be weakening.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well I will clarify... we still have COVID patients at PRH, but the Main Covid Ward, Twineham is now no longer Covid and open as normal.

Now only Pyecombe is RED, so a big step in right direction.

I can't remember if I posted it on here or somewhere else but on Saturday evening I went to Tesco for "supplies" (ok, wine) and bumped into my friend who is a BHA fan and ICU nurse at Royal Sussex County. She told me only 3 patients left in RSCH and that they'd taken patients in from elsewhere earlier in the outbreak.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here