Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unfortunately he’s become a target to the pond life P**rs Morgan sheep brigade on Twitter, simply for not posting constant negative and turgid news, some of his stuff is a little over top but he’s clearly a good man and he’s helping a lot of people with his positive news amongst a sea of sh*t

And that's the point of this thread. I've quit Twitter and barely ever check Facebook. I just cannot be bothered with the constant ramming of bad / fake / similar news down people's throats.

I opened my Guardian app this morning for the first time in ages. Big mistake. You'd think we were at the worst possible point of the peak instead of emerging out the other side. That's that app and website ignored for at least another month.

Some people need positivity. Some people are struggling with MH. Many just want to see a light at the end of the tunnel. For me it's appearing. Slowly and a long way off but it's there. And, to a tiny extent, this thread is part of it. Thanks to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for creating a small happy space in a sea of poo. Let's keep it that way.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
And that's the point of this thread. I've quit Twitter and barely ever check Facebook. I just cannot be bothered with the constant ramming of bad / fake / similar news down people's throats.

I opened my Guardian app this morning for the first time in ages. Big mistake. You'd think we were at the worst possible point of the peak instead of emerging out the other side. That's that app and website ignored for at least another month.

Some people need positivity. Some people are struggling with MH. Many just want to see a light at the end of the tunnel. For me it's appearing. Slowly and a long way off but it's there. And, to a tiny extent, this thread is part of it. Thanks to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for creating a small happy space in a sea of poo. Let's keep it that way.

Agreed, I don’t do the Twitter, and came off Facebook (Until this is over) and don’t do the media, including the radio.
For the past six weeks this thread is my only source of information I have payed attention to, and again thank you Bozza.

Tell a lie, I did watch CNN with the wife during his press conferences, that was pure morbid fascination with how such a world super power being led by a psychopath, pure dark comedy...

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
So let's get this thread back on track.

Over on the Coronavirus symptom tracker they have started to augment their (3.7m) people self-reporting with random testing data to give more and more accurate estimates. Estimated overall new infections across UK are down 17% on previous week and South East is amongst the lowest across the country. There will be local flare-ups I am sure. And I am not one for magical thinking - this is clearly a long way from over, and I desperately hope people can stay sensible and keep the R number down. But right now, the actual risks out there are very low, we have shown that we can bring this under control, and we know that we can begin to get some social and economic activity going without any immediate rise. So far so good.

saulth

May 28, 2020
“As the number of people infected increases, the coronavirus loses its ability to infect and kill,” estimates the Russian doctor and television presenter, Alexánder Miasnikov, in a message via Telegram. In his opinion, “the virus has to deal with the immune system and in that fight it loses its potency … every time it infects a new organism, it weakens a little more.”

Miasnikov, who heads the Zhadkevich Clinical Hospital in Moscow, maintains that “the epidemic wave in Russia is decreasing, the vast majority of cases are asymptomatic or with minimal symptoms.” «It will not be us who ultimately defeats him but he himself is out of breath, the important thing now is to wait a little …

https://www.archyde.com/renowned-russian-doctor-believes-coronavirus-has-run-out-of-breath/

Interesting view that is consistent with what some Italian and Spanish doctors have been recently reporting: the most recent cases seem to be developing less severe symptoms than those who got infected just a few weeks ago - even when comparing people of the same risk group.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
“the virus has to deal with the immune system and in that fight it loses its potency … every time it infects a new organism, it weakens a little more.”

Interesting view that is consistent with what some Italian and Spanish doctors have been recently reporting: the most recent cases seem to be developing less severe symptoms than those who got infected just a few weeks ago - even when comparing people of the same risk group.

I’ve read interviews with a few scientists recently that seem to be insinuating that there’s a real chance that this virus could go the same way as SARS and burn itself out of its own accord, I assume losing some of its potentcy and getting weaker would be how it does that.
I’m sure there is someone far more educated than me that would be able to explain how a virus can just die off, but it does give a tiny glimmer of hope !

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Could explain deaths dropping quicker than likely rate of infection. Here’s hoping.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Possibly adding some further weight to the potency-weakening theory is the continuing story of the outbreak at the Weston-super-Mare hospital where they've tested most of the 1,700 staff, and found 6% (c100) of them were infected, but all seemingly asymptomatic - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-52856862

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Could explain deaths dropping quicker than likely rate of infection. Here’s hoping.

There does seem to be a trailing off internationally, no matter what precautions were (or weren't taken). I always suspected that there may be a seasonal element, but all expert opinion was saying not. This explanation would fit with a lot of the seasonal type trends that have been seen. Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
“As the number of people infected increases, the coronavirus loses its ability to infect and kill,” estimates the Russian doctor and television presenter, Alexánder Miasnikov, in a message via Telegram. In his opinion, “the virus has to deal with the immune system and in that fight it loses its potency … every time it infects a new organism, it weakens a little more.”

Miasnikov, who heads the Zhadkevich Clinical Hospital in Moscow, maintains that “the epidemic wave in Russia is decreasing, the vast majority of cases are asymptomatic or with minimal symptoms.” «It will not be us who ultimately defeats him but he himself is out of breath, the important thing now is to wait a little …

https://www.archyde.com/renowned-russian-doctor-believes-coronavirus-has-run-out-of-breath/

Very interesting.

I read something similar a few weeks ago saying it's not in any virus' interest to kill it's host or make the host too ill because it stops the virus from replicating and spreading, which is ultimately it's only function.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Remember that pretty much all known coronaviruses have mutated over time into something less deadly, as someone said above a virus killing its host is not actually in the virus interests and viruses that have caused other pandemics and outbreaks are actually still around now as normal strains of flu/cold, spanish flu that killed 50M+ people is still around now, but has mutated into a tame normal virus.

I’d bet my house this happens with COVID-19, it’s just a matter of time really hopefully it’s happening already.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Updated figures show the week on week progress we are making.

Monday > Saturday figures

Total deaths down 444 this week from 2033 last week to 1589 this week.

Total confirmed infections down 3541 this week from 15500 last week to 11959 this week.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Remember that pretty much all known coronaviruses have mutated over time into something less deadly, as someone said above a virus killing its host is not actually in the virus interests and viruses that have caused other pandemics and outbreaks are actually still around now as normal strains of flu/cold, spanish flu that killed 50M+ people is still around now, but has mutated into a tame normal virus.

I’d bet my house this happens with COVID-19, it’s just a matter of time really hopefully it’s happening already.

Just out of curiosity how much is your house worth :whistle:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Spain’s prime minister has said he will ask parliament to agree to a last two-week extension of the state of emergency lockdown until 21st June, after which the government will no longer restrict citizens’ movements, El Pais reported.

Pedro Sanchez told regional government leaders during a video-conference meeting on Sunday that this would be the last lockdown as Spain’s infection rates have reduced dramatically.

The country’s death toll rose by four on Saturday to 27,125, the health ministry said, reflecting a dramatic decline in daily fatalities as Spain brings the outbreak under control.

Here’s footage, tweeted by prime minster’s official residence, of that meeting earlier:

I like the positivity of this tread, much of the reporting elsewhere seems to be of the "Private Fraser" variety for those old enough to remember!

Hopefully a question that someone who is versed in the statistics side of things can answer. Three weekends ago there was the VE Day Bank Holiday. In many cases it seemed that the 2m rule was being disregarded, similar comments apply to the last two sunny weekends and social distancing or lack of in popular areas (depending on your take on camera angles). Is there evidence that the VE Day events may have created a "spike" of further infections/deaths, or otherwise, the latter of which would surely qualify as "good news" ?

Usual qualifier. Each digit in the stats relates to a person with family and loved ones, they are not just numbers.

Last edited:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I like the positivity of this tread, much of the reporting elsewhere seems to be of the "Private Fraser" variety for those old enough to remember!

Hopefully a question that someone who is versed in the statistics side of things can answer. Three weekends ago there was the VE Day Bank Holiday. In many cases it seemed that the 2m rule was being disregarded, similar comments apply to the last two sunny weekends and social distancing or lack of in popular areas (depending on your take on camera angles). Is there evidence that the VE Day events may have created a "spike" of further infections/deaths, or otherwise, the latter of which would surely qualify as "good news" ?

Usual qualifier. Each digit in the stats relates to a person with family and loved ones, they are not just numbers.

Statistics showing a continual fall in cases, hospitalization and deaths, albeit a slight increase in cases and hospitalizations over last couple of days. No evidence yet of a spike caused by VE day etc..

20200531_123726.jpg
20200531_123744.jpg
20200531_123803.jpg

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Just 85 NHS England deaths announced today, Sunday is always a low one but that’s down from 147 last week and 90 the week before when the system was shut down half the day. Progress.

59 of those deaths are from the last five days, the rest are backdated as far back as March.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here