Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The coolest band of all time - let's have your nominations

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
For me, it's got to be Blondie. Just look at Debbie Harry and the boys at the top of their game

[yt]qW6OrdLkCLU[/yt]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The answer IS Interpol. I shan't return to this thread, I'll just assume everyone's agreed with me. Theyre so far ahead of anyone else.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Ramones and The New York Dolls immediately jumped to mind, I then opened the thread and saw the opening gambit of Blondie. Must have been something in the NYC water back in the 70s.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Ramones and The New York Dolls immediately jumped to mind, I then opened the thread and saw the opening gambit of Blondie. Must have been something in the NYC water back in the 70s.

Trouble is I've shot my load very early. Nick Cave? Kraftwerk? Prince? Stone Roses? Specials? Sugarcubes? Oo-er. I'm having second thoughts now!

Last edited:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
The Modern Lovers (again, 70s NY), Pavement or The Doors.

For some reason all the bands that spring to mind are American.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
The Beatles - no contest

Bloody great big contest, more like.

As the years went by, it became a National Occasion every time the Beatles released a record, a film or appeared in a concert, in the UK or abroad. Youngsters today probably will never understand just how exciting it was to live through those times and wonder what they would come up with next. Almost every band since The Beatles was influenced by them to any degree. In whatever they did, they were the first to do it, and that was what was so exciting.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As the years went by, it became a National Occasion every time the Beatles released a record, a film or appeared in a concert, in the UK or abroad. Youngsters today probably will never understand just how exciting it was to live through those times and wonder what they would come up with next. Almost every band since The Beatles was influenced by them to any degree. In whatever they did, they were the first to do it, and that was what was so exciting.

That's all very nice but it's not exactly cool. There were lots of contemporaries far cooler (albeit a lot less influential) and they released Ob-la-di Ob-la-da and that is an abhomination in any language. Octopus's Garden? For the benefit of Mr Kite? Nope. Just those records alone would disqualify them.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
That's all very nice but it's not exactly cool. There were lots of contemporaries far cooler (albeit a lot less influential) and they released Ob-la-di Ob-la-da and that is an abhomination in any language. Octopus's Garden? For the benefit of Mr Kite? Nope. Just those records alone would disqualify them.

Ob-la-di was an album track, not a single, though it was released as a single by Marmalade. Octopus's Garden was also an album track, a rare Beatle song written by Ringo. For The Benefit of Mr Kite was also an album track, but have you ever studied the words? They are straight off a circus poster, which was John saying that absolutely any words could be made into a song. A rarity in those love-song days. These, and other, even worse examples, just illustrate the variety of musical genres The Beatles could write and perform. They were never in a genre rut.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ob-la-di was an album track, not a single, though it was released as a single by Marmalade. Octopus's Garden was also an album track, a rare Beatle song written by Ringo. For The Benefit of Mr Kite was also an album track, but have you ever studied the words? They are straight off a circus poster, which was John saying that absolutely any words could be made into a song. A rarity in those love-song days. These, and other, even worse examples, just illustrate the variety of musical genres The Beatles could write and perform. They were never in a genre rut.

None of that means that these crap tunes should be excluded from assessing whether the Beatles were cool or not, does it?

Oct 25, 2003
i may be a little out of my depth here, but i'm going to throw the specials into the mix

-white guys who didn't care if other white guys gave them abuse for hanging around with black guys- they would walk off stage if there was any racial abuse
-dressed SHARPLY- people still copy their trends today
-neville f***ing staple- cool as f***, has about 20 kids and would f*** anything that moves
-terry hall is one sexy guy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here