Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Collapse(s)

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
what’s perhaps most frustrating is the way in which we tend to lose these games. accept people will say “we have an attack-minded manager, this will happen sometimes”, but i really don’t think it’s as simple as that.

everton, villa and today, three games off the top of my head where we have conceded very early and then subsequently disintegrated, conceding two or three before half time. why is it that we are not able to steady the ship whatsoever after conceding so early? were the players just not up for it in these games? fatigued? did RDZ just set up abysmally and then not change anything? or are our personnel just not able to go toe to toe with strong, physical teams like those listed above?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
RDZ has no plan B. See also West Ham where Milner was stuck on the half way line as West Ham kept attacking down the side Webster was on leaving him 2 on 1 / 1 on 1. Pretty much mirror image goals

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
On the bright side I expect Liverpool's interest in taking RDZ might have cooled a bit...
They would never have taken him. He needs at least one big job for any elite club to be interested I think

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He plays high risk football. Not just the passing at the back, also leaving us massively short in defensive numbers and pivots. He if plays exactly the same way at a big spender, he’ll never win a league or CL.

Regarding this season and tonight, our centre midfield is poor and unbalanced, if Gross, Milner, Dahoud or Gilmour are shielding our back 4, we‘ll concede goals, loses duals and be run ragged by powerhouses.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
RDZ has no plan B. See also West Ham where Milner was stuck on the half way line as West Ham kept attacking down the side Webster was on leaving him 2 on 1 / 1 on 1. Pretty much mirror image goals
We've used so many different formations and combinations this season it's a bit lazy to say we've no plan B, we've clearly got a shit load of plans. But sometimes when we're under the Kosh we're not quick enough to do something about it.

And i do wonder about Dunk's concentration when there's a goal at either end, i feel we've looked vulnerable immediately after conceding or scoring for several years now

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We've used so many different formations and combinations this season it's a bit lazy to say we've no plan B, we've clearly got a shit load of plans. But sometimes when we're under the Kosh we're not quick enough to do something about it.

And i do wonder about Dunk's concentration when there's a goal at either end, i feel we've looked vulnerable immediately after conceding or scoring for several years now
I don’t know how you can explain so many heavy defeats in a short space of time under a single manager. So many of those games have seen us concede the same type of goal multiple times

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He shouldn't have needed a plan B tonight. We conceded twice in the first three minutes and our players spent the whole game not quite finding the right pass. It was just one of those days where plan A wasn't being executed well enough, so there was no reason to think plan B would be either.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Love the thread title. Very sinister and film/book like. Hope it’s not a trilogy mind.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Point was made in a recent podcast that we have more plans per game than most clubs per season, so I don’t subscribe to this no plan b narrative. Whatever happened tonight, clearly we just weren’t good enough and things went wrong from the start.

Aug 18, 2013
I don’t know how you can explain so many heavy defeats in a short space of time under a single manager. So many of those games have seen us concede the same type of goal multiple times
By so many heavy defeats, do you mean getting thumped about 3 times having sold all our midfield ball winners, having prioritised passing over shotstopping in goal, and managing a horrendous injury crisis?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
what’s perhaps most frustrating is the way in which we tend to lose these games. accept people will say “we have an attack-minded manager, this will happen sometimes”, but i really don’t think it’s as simple as that.

everton, villa and today, three games off the top of my head where we have conceded very early and then subsequently disintegrated, conceding two or three before half time. why is it that we are not able to steady the ship whatsoever after conceding so early? were the players just not up for it in these games? fatigued? did RDZ just set up abysmally and then not change anything? or are our personnel just not able to go toe to toe with strong, physical teams like those listed above?
There are only 3 other defeats in the league this season to remember…

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Point was made in a recent podcast that we have more plans per game than most clubs per season, so I don’t subscribe to this no plan b narrative. Whatever happened tonight, clearly we just weren’t good enough and things went wrong from the start.
I think the idea is that we have no alternative plan that features being defensively solid.
There are myriad formational changes, but they all focus on high risk attacking football.

I'm not saying we should have a defensive plan, but it is something we definitely don't have to fall back on.

Aug 18, 2013
I think the idea is that we have no alternative plan that features being defensively solid.
There are myriad formational changes, but they all focus on high risk attacking football.

I'm not saying we should have a defensive plan, but it is something we definitely don't have to fall back on.

Think our performances in the final 4 Europa League games disprove that theory as well.

We were shit all over tonight and badly lacking in wide options, i really don't think there's much more to it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Fair enough. Although isn’t attack always the best form of defence?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We always struggle against aggressive physical teams
Especially when Facundo is in the team, he’s a good player (and could be a great player) but easily intimidated

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Using a boxing analogy is useful here. We start by dancing around our opponents. We entice the jab, duck and dive, wear them out and work them out.
Sometimes though we are sluggish, leave our chin exposed and are knocked out in the first round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here