Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The chip on Leeds shoulder

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That season when they were League Champions (the final season before proper football was invented by Sky), I admit I really LIKED Leeds - mainly because they denied Fergusons Man U from winning the title.

Nowadays I'm pretty indifferent to them tbh. Although they have provided some excellent comedy value over the years with their seemingly neverending procession of shitty owners. Never more so now that they have a complete headcase running them.

larus

Yes I know it's another thread about our illustrious opponents but for some reason I can't put my finger on they really get my heckles up.

I was sat at work and found myself frowning for no apparent reason and then realised its because I was thinking about them.

We all have the usual preconceived ideas about them not being a big club anymore and or why all their supporters have a chip on their shoulder the size of Yorkshire but I thought that perhaps I had done them a disservice and that a glance at their Wikipedia entry might enlighten me.

Instead it has made me even more vociferous in my irrational hatred of this imperiously pompous bunch of myopic Yorkshire-is-the-centre-of-the-flat-Earthers.

I mean for example which other club would list former players honours whilst playing for OTHER clubs as part of their own history?

(Listing membership of Eric Cantona in the football hall of fame and him playing for Leeds as mutually exclusive events).

This on top of their incessant bleating about being Champions of Europe (they won the pre-cursor to the UEFA cup before it was something you qualified for on merit and was in fact a competition to promote trade relations between declining European industrial cities) is more than I can take.

I whole heartedly admit to it being irrational but in a Kevin Keegan type way I would love it, love it if we beat them tonight.

This is because when they played in the European Cup Final in the 1970's (can't remember the year - 1974?), they were the better team, and (I believe) it's been proved that the ref was bribed. My memories of the game were that the ref was so biased, that he won the European Cup for the other team. Imagine how we would feel in the biggest club prize was stolen from us. Yep, well f***ed off.

They are a big team, fans all over the country and still get a good following after the years of shit caused by the running of the club. Can't blame the fans for that; after all, were re responsible for Archer (c*nt) selling the Goldstone?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Aside from Palace, there is no team I take more satisfaction from seeing us beat than Dirty Leeds.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've found it: Leeds' :)

This on top of their incessant bleating about being Champions of Europe (they won the pre-cursor to the UEFA cup before it was something you qualified for on merit and was in fact a competition to promote trade relations between declining European industrial cities) is more than I can take.

They didn't win anything did they? That's the whole point.

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The Brian Clough film about his stint as manager of Leeds was a good film. It also shows Clough going to Brighton as well.

Of course Leeds have a big history compared to us, and should be respected tonight as well. Despite the last 10 years or so, they will bounce back eventually.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is because when they played in the European Cup Final in the 1970's (can't remember the year - 1974?), they were the better team, and (I believe) it's been proved that the ref was bribed. My memories of the game were that the ref was so biased, that he won the European Cup for the other team. Imagine how we would feel in the biggest club prize was stolen from us. Yep, well f***ed off.

They are a big team, fans all over the country and still get a good following after the years of shit caused by the running of the club. Can't blame the fans for that; after all, were re responsible for Archer (c*nt) selling the Goldstone?

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...975-european-cup-final-retold#:RVXmuipyoar93A

There is an arrogance from Leeds supporters, even within the county. They tell other clubs that there's 'only one team in Yorkshire'. which you imagine goes down a bomb with all the other clubs.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Aside from Palace, there is no team I take more satisfaction from seeing us beat than Dirty Leeds.
Pompey?!

Edit; Don't worry, already beaten to it. Glad to see I'm not the only one who harbours a glorious loathing of those from the armpit of the coast.

I was BORN in Leeds and I'm quite proud of that, but - despite my complete sympathy for the "Support Your Local Club" mantra - I can't bring myself to anything like being a LUFC supporter, not even when they are playing another team that I have no interest in.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features...975-european-cup-final-retold#:RVXmuipyoar93A

There is an arrogance from Leeds supporters, even within the county. They tell other clubs that there's 'only one team in Yorkshire'. which you imagine goes down a bomb with all the other clubs.
Yorkshire is a big county. It's a bit like saying Brighton are the only team in London as Leeds isn't technically in the same county as Sheffield and is about the same distance away.

Their fans are deluded.

Yorkshire is a big county. It's a bit like saying Brighton are the only team in London as Leeds isn't technically in the same county as Sheffield and is about the same distance away.

Their fans are deluded.

The technicalities of the boundary of Yorkshire are a bit complicated, but I think it is universally accepted that the County of Yorkshire consists of the three Ridings and the City of York.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The technicalities of the boundary of Yorkshire are a bit complicated, but I think it is universally accepted that the County of Yorkshire consists of the three Ridings and the City of York.

Exactly. Even though the political boundaries were changed in 73, you try telling someone from Sheffield that they aren't in Yorkshire, but South Yorkshire.
Hull rebelled from being in Humberside (which was abolished) to get back into Yorkshire.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Their fans are deluded.

Technically there has never been a Sussex, only West and East Sussex.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Don't have any issues with Leeds to be honest...just another championship club that has many supporters in the south that hardly ever watch them play.
They're a big club though even though they can't pull in the crowds at home.I expect big followings from them nationwide due to these floaters all around the country.

Their fans are deluded.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Never forgotten Bournemouth in 1990 when their fans rioted on the last day of the season.

They won the league on a beautifully hot bank holiday weekend, had no one to fight and yet still smashed up the peaceful town.

I think this shows why most of their older fans and the younger generation coming through are twats and disliked.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I hate them just coz they're a bunch of c****

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I hate Leeds and I find most Yorkshiremen to be absolute cants. They invariably feel the need to tell you that they're from Yorkshire within five minutes of meeting them, as if we give a shit. They seem to genuinely expect you to be impressed, not realising that we laugh at their pathetic need for acknowledgement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here