Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Championship this midweek

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
On Saturday there was a quiet period in the second half when The Albion were getting bogged down and it felt like the team needed reminding:-

"we are top of the league".

It'll be good to keep reminding Rotherham just how up against it they will be tomorrow.

that might motivate them..

Whaddabout

"Cheer up Steve(ie) Evans..Oh what can it mean to be aaaaaah...

Fat Scottish ******* with a shit football tee-ee-ee-am"

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Rotherham are yet to win a league game...

We are yet to concede a goal at the Amex...

We have scored in every game we've played this season....

Something surely has to give!

That was going so well until the last line.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
"No easy games in this league" there were last year, at home to Brighton was always a banker and away was a good shout too. Haven't times changed?
It's like being a soldier at the top of a hill. The opposition keep sending their best man forward, Ipswich were second then came Hull and Cardiff look like being second when they come down. And we're shouting "is that the best you've got?"
On Saturday the cry of 'We are top of the lea......." was hushed up when someone started the chant. Maybe, just maybe, we should make the most of it and dream.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think that emphasizes the point that this division is so tight, although there are more teams unbeaten there are so many draws where neither side is better than the other on the day. Steve Bruce summed it up pretty well post match on Saturday. A lot of games can be settled by one mistake or one bit of quality. All the games we've won so far have been by a one goal margin.

I actually disagree completely, and think Steve Bruce has missed the point. The reason all of the games we've one so far have been by a one goal margin is because (rightly or wrongly) we've taken the foot off the gas and defended for the rest of the game. This may make it look like a narrow margin, but it's actually just Hughton's tactics, IMHO. Furthermore, Hull never looked like scoring, we should probably have had several.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I actually disagree completely, and think Steve Bruce has missed the point. The reason all of the games we've one so far have been by a one goal margin is because (rightly or wrongly) we've taken the foot off the gas and defended for the rest of the game. This may make it look like a narrow margin, but it's actually just Hughton's tactics, IMHO. Furthermore, Hull never looked like scoring, we should probably have had several.

I'll disagree with that by saying, look at the Ipswich game.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008

Fulham? I take your point with regard to the Hull game but I think in others it hasn't been simply a case of scoring then sitting back. Even in the Hull game we could and probably should have been 2-0 up if Hemed hadn't missed Rosenior's cross. The Ipswich game has already been mentioned.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Fulham? I take your point with regard to the Hull game but I think in others it hasn't been simply a case of scoring then sitting back. Even in the Hull game we could and probably should have been 2-0 up if Hemed hadn't missed Rosenior's cross. The Ipswich game has already been mentioned.

Definitely Fulham, we ripped them apart in the first half, then didn't seem to be at the races until they scored, at which point we suddenly realised we needed to start playing again.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Agree, CH seems to be adopting the old Arsenal Highbury tactics of getting an early goal to force the oppo to open up otherwise they will just park the bus and we don't have the height to break down a loaded defence

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The top five are all at home on Tuesday night:

Birmingham v Nottm Forest
Brighton v Rotherham
Burnley v MK Dons
Cardiff v Hull
Charlton v Huddersfield
Leeds v Ipswich
Middlesbrough v Brentford
Preston v Bristol City
Bolton v Sheff Wed
Reading v Derby

QPR v Blackburn (Wednesday)

View attachment 68491

Those 5 pay £300 for a tenner, which seems decent enough. The first 7 homes pay £1700 which ain't impossible....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Definitely Fulham, we ripped them apart in the first half, then didn't seem to be at the races until they scored, at which point we suddenly realised we needed to start playing again.
Notters you do have to allow the other team to be good.

This being the Championship no one team is going to bully their way through games.
All the bibbling about the Premier League will mean nothing in November when City, Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal are top 4.

Were the Championship to be the same that would read Derby, 'Boro, Hull and QPR.

Which is more likely?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It looks like such an easy game to extend our lead at the top - so why does that worry me?

Years of experience :thumbsup:

It's got 0-0 all over it...

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Other than Burnley v MK Dons, the others (apart from the Albion) would appear to be probable home wins.

But, the Championship is not that predictable and none more so than our's v Rotherham - how often do 'bankers' actually work out.

Thus said, I will be a happy man if we manage to achieve three points tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here