Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The biggest 50 clubs in England...

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
It never fails to amuse me how Brighton fans get so, so precious about what a "big" club we are

In the grand scheme of things, it means absolutely bugger all how "big" we are. So people think we are "bigger" than Wigan. Who gives a toss? I'd much rather have won the FA Cup and nearly a decade of top flight football than be supporting a "big" club that has so far achieved nothing in the grand scheme of things

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It never fails to amuse me how Brighton fans get so, so precious about what a "big" club we are

In the grand scheme of things, it means absolutely bugger all how "big" we are. So people think we are "bigger" than Wigan. Who gives a toss? I'd much rather have won the FA Cup and nearly a decade of top flight football than be supporting a "big" club that has so far achieved nothing in the grand scheme of things
Supporting your football club isn't about success....It's about your roots and supporting your towns football club.
Sadly we have generations in this country who go by the image of a successful club to boost their image even though the clubs they support have nothing to do with them....jumping on the successful band wagon is just embarrassing and sums up many plastic naive football fans.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Supporting your football club isn't about success....It's about your roots and supporting your towns football club.
Sadly we have generations in this country who go by the image of a successful club to boost their image even though the clubs they support have nothing to do with them....jumping on the successful band wagon is just embarrassing and sums up many plastic naive football fans.

You are spot on. So what does it matter how "big" that local team is then and why do so many on here cry into their cups of tea if anybody dare suggest we aren't one of the biggest clubs outside the Premier League?

Feb 14, 2010
You are spot on. So what does it matter how "big" that local team is then and why do so many on here cry into their cups of tea if anybody dare suggest we aren't one of the biggest clubs outside the Premier League?

Who said it mattered, people are just pointing out that it the size of the fanbase that makes the size of a club, not winning trophies. I also pointed out that Gary Neville was talking utter shit about northern clubs as against southern clubs again.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Who said it mattered, people are just pointing out that it the size of the fanbase that makes the size of a club, not winning trophies. I also pointed out that Gary Neville was talking utter shit about northern clubs as against southern clubs again.

Read the thread. Plenty of people getting their knickers in a twist over Palace being ahead of us, Portsmouth etc etc. If it doesn't matter why get wound up about it?

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
The list is based on history and previous achievements , not shiny new stadiums and upsurges in attendances.
I'm surprised you've actually made the top 50

How dare you forget about the Charity Shield. Champions of England, you know.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I stopped looking when I saw it was from the mail.

Feb 14, 2010
Read the thread. Plenty of people getting their knickers in a twist over Palace being ahead of us, Portsmouth etc etc. If it doesn't matter why get wound up about it?

No they are not, they are just pointing out that clubs like Wigan cannot be a big club just because they have won a cup. As for Gary Neville, well he clearly is a footballer as he knows nothing about the history of football clubs. He bangs on about palace being an example of a rising small southern club but forgets that they used to have a support to rival ours. He puts Bournemouth, Palace and Brighton in the same bracket. The bloke does not have a clue. Its only the last 30 years that Palace have needed top flight football for anyone to watch them. They used to, like Brighton still do, get bigger gates than northern clubs in the same and higher divisions.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I stopped looking when I saw it was from The Mail.

Agreed 12009796_904345362948510_7570861739962533323_n.jpg

Feb 14, 2010
If that's the case why you in top 50? must of been the groupon vouchers.

And selling kids seasons tickets that can be used by adults for evening games.. bu still struggling to get 11000 for a well supported `Cardiff in the Championship. But hey presto, Arsenal roll into Selhurst and they find 24000. Plastic Palace fan. Whatever happened to their support, they have been better than us since the 70's but their support has got worse.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
If that's the case why you in top 50? must of been the groupon vouchers.

Haven't you just launched a bring a friend for £10 scheme ? The Bloom Groupon if you like.
I always base a clubs fan base on the away attendances.
Taking just over 1000 to Wolves, when you're top of the league , isn't great.

Feb 14, 2010
Haven't you just launched a bring a friend for £10 scheme ? The Bloom Groupon if you like.
I always base a clubs fan base on the away attendances.
Taking just over 1000 to Wolves, when you're top of the league , isn't great.

Not bad for the club in the league with the furthest to travel week in week out and 20,000 season tickets at full price is not bad for Championship football. Not something that palace got when in the Championship was is? Also add a good 1/1.5 hours plus on Brighton fans travel time as against London clubs to Wolves.Do you use the kids season tickets for evening games or is that gone now that Arsenal are rolling into town? Brighton's Wolves away is more like your Bolton away in travel time.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Not bad for the club in the league with the furthest to travel week in week out and 20,000 season tickets at full price is not bad for Championship football. Not something that palace got when in the Championship was is? Also add a good 1/1.5 hours plus on Brighton fans travel time as against London clubs to Wolves.Do you use the kids season tickets for evening games or is that gone now that Arsenal are rolling into town?

:thumbsup:
Keep up the good work !

Feb 14, 2010
:thumbsup:
Keep up the good work !

Now run along and bang your drum and shout Whooa Whooa, whilst also singing at clubs "where were you when you were shit". Oh how I laughed when I heard your kids have the cheek to sing that at another club given your gates with free tickets in the Championship. How can you sing that when your club had to beg people to watch them when not playing the the top flight?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Now run along and bang your drum and shout Whooa Whooa, whilst also singing at clubs "where were you when you were shit". Oh how I laughed when I heard your kids have the cheek to sing that at another club given your gates with free tickets in the Championship. How can you sing that when your club had to beg people to watch them when not playing the the top flight?

:lolol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
That's a very poor article.

Neville fails to put the previous assumed Northern dominance into context.

It wasn't a Northern dominance, it was an industrial region dominance. It had its history in Saturday afternoon closing of factories in the second half of the nineteenth century. Football was one of the pastimes that filled the need for working class leisure at this time, but, as James Walvin points out in his book 'The People's Game,' it only applied to industrial workers, not to clerks and shopkeepers "and agricultural workers, whose working hours continued to be almost as oppressive as ever."

This meant that the football clubs in areas with industrial populations had a head start in financing their football clubs. Obviously this advantage served them well for a century or so, but in the post industrial world after Thatcher's government and globalisation destroyed the country's heavy industries, the playing field in football has begun to level, with the investments of the super rich now being a far more important factor than a club's history. As those in the South West will tell you, this can still leave more rural regions at a disadvantage, but the urban and monied South East has obvious attractions to both investors and rich players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here