Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The big question: Do you trust Tony Bloom and his team with the Albion?

Do you trust Tony Bloom and his management team with the Albion?

• Yes I do

Votes: 279 92.4%
  • No I don't

Votes: 23 7.6%

• Total voters

I agree with Acker79 and Tooting Gull.

I am completely convinced that Tony Bloom will do the very best for the club as he sees it. The decision to build the stadium to the highest possible spec, even down to the padded seats for away fans, proves that beyond doubt.

But that doesn't mean that he is incapable of getting things wrong or making mistakes, as some people on here seem to believe.

And I also wonder whether some things have been done in his name that he might not have done himself - but then that's probably inevitable when you spend half of every year on the other side of the world and have to delegate.

My experience of business management is that a lack of delegation tends to be more of a problem. No empowerment leads to poor job satisfaction, often resulting in an automaton approach to decision making and implementation.

I also liked Ackers' post, it's thoughtful and well reasoned; TG less so as this poster often seems less interested in fact. I agree with you that no-one's infallible.

David Burke did a comprehensive job of explaining his roles and responsibilities on the Albion Roar back in January but it seems that many who criticise haven't listened to this. The long term business rationale for this structure seems self-evident; you can't really have the entire playing, development, academy philosophies being turned on their heads every time you replace the playing management team unless you're prepared to continually write off some mega £s, which we don't have.

As for having a FL/PL manager being directly responsible for expenditure streams that account for your entire business income - hmmm......... really? Apart from the capability/skills angle, there's all the pseudo-emotional type baggage, fluff and general media hyperbole around the playing side for the manager to handle on a daily basis; he/she may also need to plan and fit in some coaching so this is a no no for me.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I can't really trust a set up that continually brings in injured, not fit, or not good enough players when we are told they are thoroughly scouted including their personalities and all types of fitness levels. Whilst selling off our most consistent performers. Admittedly we have signed some good players, Stephens in particular looks very promising along with Ince and March, but we have signed some dross in replacement for consistent performers that we've sold. This is a budgetary constrain issue I know but we have also picked up players on big wages that have had poor attitude and fitness issues (see Dobbie and Augustein in particular) surely with the level of scouting that gets carried out these bad eggs would get weeded out? I imagine we'll sign another perma crock from Swansea again this year.

I'm not asking Bloom to throw money at it, frankly I'd prefer we develop the youth team then sign some tubby pre madonna that thinks he's the next Pele.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Probably,but the question is a bit vague. Do I trust Tony not to sell us to some oil sheikh, or not to asset-strip the club. Yes, of course - and considering our history, thats probably all that matters. Do I trust him to try and get the best football side, yes, why not, although the methods might be debatable. Do I trust him to manage the club in a way that isn't based around money, that looks out for the normal fan and retains the our traditions and community objectives. Hmmm.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am saying yes but I am not convinced he is doing it in the right way. Losing two managers in two years over the same issue(s) suggests things could be improved.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes but...

...they are not to far away from me wondering if they can learn from their mistakes.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No, he should clear off and take his stadium with him. (Well it was a stupid question.)

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The only area I'm starting to have doubts on is player recruitment, Where everyone else seems to be delivering and moving the club forward the signing of players has been a bit sub-standard this past season and it cost us in the end.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Full confidence in the lot. A reborn club, now constantly challenging for promotion to the Premier league, I think they have delivered.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
No. There's no smoke without fire. Two managers have walked following relatively successful seasons. Bloom craves a yes man to bow down to the suits

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I decided a long time ago that I would support Brighton. To me that meant that my default point is to support them, and until I see them doing something that isn't beneficial for the club they have my full support.

On Monday though it started to appear that there is a problem with our recruitment structure, and I would like them to sort it out. It might mean just getting someone in who is happy to work in the structure or just tweaking it. I don't care what the answer is I just want them to find it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I was always a big supporter of Mr Bloom and his vision.

However now I think I'm starting to look slightly more towards I trust his business/marketing sense in running the club but not neccesarily full confidence in the playing side of things. From the outside that seems a bit disjointed at present.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Do I trust TB to do his very best for the club? Absolutely
Do I trust TB will make changes to improve things that appear to be wrong? Don't know
Do I trust those that are running the club on a day to day basis? Not really
Do I trust the big ticket communications that come out of the club? No

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I don't know if I believe his philosophy will bring any instant success - the youth academy will take at least several years before we start seeing any benefit from it, and I think if we are going to adhere to FFP, or just have the club become self-sufficient we won't afford the better players we need to get up before we can start bringing through youth products.

Have to disagree with this.
Ince, March, JFC to name a few of our youngsters who have come through the DS. I believe we have benefited from the youth this season.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I don't understand how we can possibly have an affirmative poll result of over 96% having read some of the other threads on the board!

The question was - "Do you trust Tony Bloom and his team with the Albion" - note the 'and', not an 'or'.

So do over 96% of posters really have trust in all the team at the Albion, including transport, catering, marketing, finance, retail, coaching and recruitment? ???

I had to vote no.

While I appreciate that everything I not rosy in our garden and somethings must and will change in the future (like Southern being replaced by a company that moves people from A to B not just rolling stock!) but the question was about TB and his team and whether I trust them.

I absolutely, unreservedly TRUST in TB and his team to do everything possible and reasonable and sensible for the greater good of the club. In some instances that may actually be to man up and fall on their swords but TB is a most generous benefactor and excellent steward for the club. PB has, in my opinion, made one big mistake so far, but otherwise I see the sense in everything done in his name. I believe that a DoF is an essential part of a club in the modern game, I have my own opinion about how it should work but they would impact all clubs not just ours. Is DB the best DoF? Probably not in my opinion, but I still trust him to learn from his mistakes and improve or bite the bullet and leave.

Yes from me. I don't like everything, but I trust in the team to get things right.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I trust his intentions but not perhaps his judgement. He hasn't been a football club chairman for long, he is one because he can be not because he necessarily has an aptitude for it.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Essentially, of course, yes. I believe Tony Bloom has the best interests of the Club at heart, and has the family background, supporting history, and more importantly for all of us, has put in his hard-earned. There may be circumstances where it changes but Tony Bloom will likely as not be here in five, ten, twenty years time.

The management team may have different priorities. They may not be here tomorrow. They may be working with an eye on the next opportunity, and that is maybe how the world works. I trust Tony Bloom to have made the best available appointments, and I trust that they all work well together for the common cause. But it is trust, as I have absolutely no idea.

Let's not lose sight of how fortunate a position we are in. If mistakes have been made - they are miniscule in comparison to our good fortune.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I know, and i have absolute trusted inside knowledge that Oscar wanted to leave simply because he wanted to go back to Spain. He won't be taking another English club, he loved Brighton, Tony and the rest loved him but it was simply that Spain is a better place to live than England, which i'm sure most would agree with. And so it's the end of the matter for me personally and i just hope we recruit another dignified prfessional that continues our desire to pass like the Spanish and be like Spain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here