Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The big question: Do you trust Tony Bloom and his team with the Albion?

Do you trust Tony Bloom and his management team with the Albion?

• Yes I do

Votes: 279 92.4%
  • No I don't

Votes: 23 7.6%

• Total voters

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't know. My feelings are complex, and probably contradictory. I find myself questioning every statement from the club, either direct, or relayed via "sources" on here. I question the argus and their motives behind each piece.

If I'm questioning everything they say, can I really claim to trust them?

But, while I question what they say, I don't believe for a second that Bloom means any harm to this club, I am certain he wants the best for the club and is acting in the way he thinks is best.

I don't know if I believe his philosophy will bring any instant success - the youth academy will take at least several years before we start seeing any benefit from it, and I think if we are going to adhere to FFP, or just have the club become self-sufficient we won't afford the better players we need to get up before we can start bringing through youth products.

I am more confident of his long term plans, than I am of him bringing short term success, but that is more to do with the current state of football and finances than anything to do with my trust in Bloom.

With regard to his team, again, I think it's a little complex (partly because I'm unsure of exactly what roles each has with in the team and what responsibilities).

Paul Barber was brought in to bring down cost and increase revenue. I think he is doing that well in and of itself, but putting in the context of keeping football fans happy (a group that desires a wide range of things), I don't know how well that balance is met.

David Burke is one I have absolutely no idea on, partly because of the way all I know about his job is the contradictory stories we hear as to how much influence he has, what the exact system is, and I'm even less certain given how many contradictory stories that are currently going around.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I don't understand how we can possibly have an affirmative poll result of over 96% having read some of the other threads on the board!

The question was - "Do you trust Tony Bloom and his team with the Albion" - note the 'and', not an 'or'.

So do over 96% of posters really have trust in all the team at the Albion, including transport, catering, marketing, finance, retail, coaching and recruitment? ???

I had to vote no.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
My answer is Yes, of course. I have absolutely no doubt that Tony Bloom has even more love for the club than I have. I am also convinced that he is a remarkably intelligent individual that will take this club forward.
Sussex has a huge area of talent that should be tapped. I am pretty sure that Tony, being a fan, will know that there is a lot of talent out there and will ask questions of the scouting staff. I can hope.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I don't understand how we can possibly have an affirmative poll result of over 96% having read some of the other threads on the board!

The question was - "Do you trust Tony Bloom and his team with the Albion" - note the 'and', not an 'or'.

So do over 96% of posters really have trust in all the team at the Albion, including transport, catering, marketing, finance, retail, coaching and recruitment? ???

I had to vote no.

Typical NSC. People fail regularly to understand that it is entirely possible, very normal and certainly completely reasonable to have concerns and reservations about things despite being generally happy. There is a very boring vocal minority on this board who only seem to see things in black and white and assume that unless you go around constantly declaring that everything is great, you're a miserablest wanker who's never happy about anything ever.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
this. his remit seems too wide and im not convinced he is suited. scouting, negotiations, fine but apparently also signing off players and budget... too far. i'd rather have a non-football man (or Barber... nah) that knew Bloom well enough to be the final decision maker if Bloom is away.

And Burke could be an added tier/delay to signings. A director of football / transfer committee arrangement in English football can be a weakness. Would prefer Sherwood or whoever, going straight to PB, with legal dept handling contract formalities.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Typical NSC. People fail regularly to understand that it is entirely possible, very normal and certainly completely reasonable to have concerns and reservations about things despite being generally happy. There is a very boring vocal minority on this board who only seem to see things in black and white and assume that unless you go around constantly declaring that everything is great, you're a miserablest wanker who's never happy about anything ever.

I am generally happy with the position the club is in, (certainly far more so than I was 4 years ago!), but as you say, I do have reservations about the way some parts of the club are run.

This poll is asking for a black or white answer so maybe I would have been better off abstaining rather than answering the question as it was asked.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I agree with Acker79 and Tooting Gull.

I am completely convinced that Tony Bloom will do the very best for the club as he sees it. The decision to build the stadium to the highest possible spec, even down to the padded seats for away fans, proves that beyond doubt.

But that doesn't mean that he is incapable of getting things wrong or making mistakes, as some people on here seem to believe.

And I also wonder whether some things have been done in his name that he might not have done himself - but then that's probably inevitable when you spend half of every year on the other side of the world and have to delegate.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Trust Tony to look after his £130 mil? Of course, why wouldn't you! Trust me to look after my £30? Naturally, why not! :) he's a fan but first & foremost a business man!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
What part of the question did you not understand? Do you trust Tony or not? Don't give me Barber and Burke, they are Tonys men. Do you trust Tony? I do.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
What part of the question did you not understand? Do you trust Tony or not? Don't give me Barber and Burke, they are Tonys men. Do you trust Tony? I do.

Well, the bit I have apparently misunderstood is the bit, 'and his management team' personally I would interpret that to mean Burke and Barber. You see this differently do you? You interpret 'and his management team' to mean just Tony? No one else? Because that isn't how I interpret it.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

The question was do you trust Tony Bloom and his team - do you trust the member of that team responsible for catering? - Would you trust them with the catering for an event you were organising ???

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I am generally happy with the position the club is in, (certainly far more so than I was 4 years ago!), but as you say, I do have reservations about the way some parts of the club are run.

This poll is asking for a black or white answer so maybe I would have been better off abstaining rather than answering the question as it was asked.

I abstained for this very reason. I think Bozza has been taking "poll-question wording" advice from Assem Allam.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
So criticising Barber and Burke is OK? That is no reflection on Tony Bloom? I disagree, respectively, because Tony has made a huge investment in our club and chosen the people to run it. He has taken on this responsibility and put people in, that he trusts, in place to run it effectively. Any criticism of them is a criticism of Tony. Of course, you are entitled to your view. I have to disagree with you on this.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
See my reply below. Now no-one has more admiration for Tony than me but are you seriously blaming him for the pies?

TerryT

Jun 14, 2011
Completely agree

I think this is one of the things that I and a few others get most irritated about. You are portrayed as some anti-Bloom lunatic if you question any aspect of the club's processes or decision-making. That is just mad.

I completely trust Bloom as a man and an owner of the Albion, of course you do, why on earth wouldn't you. Look at what he has staked, look at what he has saved in the form of an Amex that the money was no longer there for, and put in. His motives are 100 per cent genuine, I have no doubt of that.

But that does not mean, unless you have no thoughts in your head, that you agree with everything being done on his watch. Nor can you have failed to notice the two good managers gone in 12 months. Nor can you have no questions about the recruitment operation, which both managers in question have put in play in one form or another.

And we are by no means the only club wrestling with the whole Director of Football, Director of Football Operations question, and the way accountability is divvied up. Far bigger clubs than us are undecided about exactly how successful it is.

Which is a long way of saying 100 per cent yes, but your point about learning from mistakes is well made.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
If you were asking whether we trust his team in terms of selecting good players to come and play for the club you might get a more interesting response. Their record in this regard is far from good and TB seems to want to keep it as is even if it means losing a manager.

Other than that of course the Albion is in good hands. No-one can question his dedication to the club or what he has done for it.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I was trying to reply to Husty and creaky. Obviously I have had too much to drink. Good night.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes. And I trust them not to appoint Sherwood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here