Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The best beer there is....

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
My local sold off the last of their cask beer for takeout. I grabbed 4 pints of Harveys Sussex which we drank at home within the hour. It was the last cask ale i'll have for a long time and it was brilliant.Great beer is about occasion as much as it is about the beer.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Currently ANY beer is a favourite, going shopping is Russian roulette at the moment and so the combination of shortages/ Lock downs / restrictions like 3 of anything only makes beer sourcing fraught with danger.

My local Co-op beer section was slaughtered the other day to the extent that I had to buy a pack of 4 San Miguel.... that was gone really before I got warmed up.

Have 4 pints of Chennai coming from Brooksteed for £12 today but might look to Dark Star and their 5l kegs for longer term.

I just had 12x Long Blonde and 12x Copper Hop delivered directly from https://www.longmanbrewery.com/

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Right ok. I had a pint of Citra Oakham on cask @t the Peterborough beer festival a few years back which because maybe it’s its ‘area’ it was sublime.... even with a hundred beers to try I went back to it twice.

i would say Darkstar Partridge though its been a while seen it.

Both pretty common beers to be honest and both regulars at my local (Coopers Arms Crowborough). Do you chaps use Untapped? No of course you don't only wankers do but the one thing it is good for is seeing what beers are on in pubs near by.

Citra is on sale in bottles at Waitrose, Tescos and Morrisons.

Dark Star sell 5l giant cans of Partridge out of their shop - https://store.darkstarbrewing.co.uk/collections/beer/products/partridge-best-bitter

Obviously there is no correct answer to the original question as the thread has proved.

Couple of beers that haven't been mentioned yet that I would check out....

Eight Arch Corbel
Anything by Bristol Beer Factory but Independence and their Milk Stout are both awesome
Larkins Porter
Burning Sky Aurora (For the people who will only entertain Sussex beers)

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
As a newcomer to drinking a variety of different beers, rather than sticking to my regulars, could I ask which online shops people use please? I would like to try several of those already listed, but would prefer to place one order rather than six or seven.

Which online shop has the best range at the cheapest price?

TVM

https://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/

I use these quite a bit. European oriented but British stuff as well.

There's also Beer 52, who I have never used but plenty of mates have, and my brother sent me a mixed case for my birthday last year . They nearly always have some sort of promo on too

Cheers!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So many to choose from. Punk IPA is a classic. I love Thornbridge Jaipur on cask. I once had a Jaipur DIPA on cask, which was a one-off and rather nice.

Jaipur on cask is lovely. Probably my winner too. It is also EVIL. I'd just had a pint at the end of a football session that time I met you at the Albert with [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION] and, to be honest, standing upright was a problem.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I have a small batch IPA from Gun last year sometime which was probably the best pint I've ever had. Might have just been really gagging though.

Current favourite is Buxton Brewery's Spa.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Curious Brew

Curious.jpg

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
It's all subjective, yes. I just checked my Untappd account to see my top ranking beers and the majority of them are stouts, but I wouldn't necessarily go down the pub and drink 3 or 4 of them. Got some Deya arriving tomorrow, which is exciting

Both pretty common beers to be honest and both regulars at my local (Coopers Arms Crowborough). Do you chaps use Untapped? No of course you don't only wankers do but the one thing it is good for is seeing what beers are on in pubs near by.

Citra is on sale in bottles at Waitrose, Tescos and Morrisons.

Dark Star sell 5l giant cans of Partridge out of their shop - https://store.darkstarbrewing.co.uk/collections/beer/products/partridge-best-bitter

Obviously there is no correct answer to the original question as the thread has proved.

Couple of beers that haven't been mentioned yet that I would check out....

Eight Arch Corbel
Anything by Bristol Beer Factory but Independence and their Milk Stout are both awesome
Larkins Porter
Burning Sky Aurora (For the people who will only entertain Sussex beers)

:ohmy: :bigwave: :cheers:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I should probably clarify my post slightly.....I have two issues with Untapped. Firstly the stamp collectors out there. I've seen people come into pubs look at the pumps and then their phone and go I've had that, I've had that, I've had that.....just buy a beer and drink it you ****! I go to pubs to drink not to play beer pokemon!

Secondly a pal of mine who does use it started putting mixes on there which is a pretty common thing to do (I think) especially beer festival time and they threatened to kick him off. Surely the whole point of the app is sharing beers? Why wouldn't you want to know if mixing a 9% porter with a 4% stout creates a taste sensation?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Way too much choice to call this. You've got the consistent brands that you can rely on for a good pint but then the up and coming daring new kids on the block.

Been really impressed by Duration - they only set up in November. Former head brewer from Brew By Numbers, relocated with his missus from London to Norfolk. Converted some derelict farm buildings into a small brewery. Focused on quite simple styles - 4-7% ABV beers and smashing it. Found them at Arundel Brewfest in January and went to visit them a few weeks ago as my partners dad lives about 5 miles away.

Brewdog (higher ABV or Overworks are still interesting), Siren, Deya, Duration, Track, Cloudwater, Track, Pressure Drop, Burnt Mill, Wander Beyond, Northern Monk, Wild Beer, Brew York,

All high up the list. Don't even get me started on US breweries :mad:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I’m in the mood for something OTT then Omnipollo is my go-to, especially their stouts. I can recommend a half of their Magnus Opus Bourbon barrel aged cinnamon pecan mud cake stout with toasted poppy seeds, charcoal and cold smoked bacon.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Skye Gold when the sun is shining, Skye Red when it isn't.

Both infinitely better when in the Highlands but needs must.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I've heard on the grapevine that a Double Diamond works wonders.

Seriously as an old git you can get a bit rose-tinted spectacles about the past. But not with beer. When I think back to the chemical soups masquerading as beer in the past (Watneys and the gang), with whole regions of the country being virtual decent beer desserts, I now think we are living in a golden age. There are literally more decent ales on offer in the average bar than there used to be in whole towns.

Beer anoraks like me used to have to consult the bible of the Real Ale Guide before venturing out of the house. If you could just combine the prices of 1970 (11p) with the quality of 2020 you'd be in heaven.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here