The Belgium bombing - An interesting perspective

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
and today's pompous prize goes to..

Thank you for this although I fear that, try as hard as I might, I'll always fall far short of attaining your impressive tally of banalities of the week.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Very narrow definition that betrays the complexities of life. I am many things, a Kiwi, English etc. To understand requires a level of open mindedness and depth of thinking. Somehow the difficulties of that doesn't surprise me from someone who defends the OP "Successive governments have allowed Muslims to ruin this country."
Ah, you're floundering and evading , where were you born and brought up ? If you were born here brought up in new zealand , you've got an argument that youre english IMO same as if you were born in new zealand but brought up here , but born and brought up in NZ , nah , youre not English , and you've made yourself look extremely silly with this statement : ''To understand requires a level of open mindedness and depth of thinking. Somehow the difficulties of that doesn't surprise me from someone who defends the OP "Successive governments have allowed Muslims to ruin this country.'' , I didnt comment on that particular post.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Ah, you're floundering and evading , where were you born and brought up ? If you were born here brought up in new zealand , you've got an argument that youre english IMO same as if you were born in new zealand but brought up here , but born and brought up in NZ , nah , youre not English , and you've made yourself look extremely silly with this statement : ''To understand requires a level of open mindedness and depth of thinking. Somehow the difficulties of that doesn't surprise me from someone who defends the OP "Successive governments have allowed Muslims to ruin this country.'' , I didnt comment on that particular post.

Floundering and evading. No. You have already called me an immigrant so you must know mine and my families background. Or you are just being narrow minded and dull. You let me know which
your post to me was
"We" don't need to do anything "you" as an immigrant from New Zealand need to mind your own business and stop making snide statements to people who have been directly affected by the issues you chose to come and live amongst.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Floundering and evading. No. You have already called me an immigrant so you must know mine and my families background. Or you are just being narrow minded and dull. You let me know which
your post to me was
"We" don't need to do anything "you" as an immigrant from New Zealand need to mind your own business and stop making snide statements to people who have been directly affected by the issues you chose to come and live amongst.
You've already stated you're a new zealander, that makes you an immigrant .

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You've already stated you're a new zealander, that makes you an immigrant .

Ok, narrow minded and dull then. I have just explained to you life isn't simple. Its not a particularily complex point. Sadly too many people are black and white, are unable to think in shades.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Ok, narrow minded and dull then. I have just explained to you life isn't simple. Its not a particularily complex point. Sadly too many people are black and white, are unable to think in shades.
On the contrary, its very simple, you're just complicating it to support your point , on which you've been found out.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think the article had a point. The consequence of successive governments middle east policy of the last 25 years or so means we either have to withdraw completely and hope they leave us alone or end it once and for all, no matter how long and bloody doing that may prove to be. The drop a few bombs and hope they get the message policy we are pursing currently is going nowhere, it's too late for half hearted efforts and hope for the best...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
For those that seem to be very blase about the threats of terrorism.
The Dirty Bomb?

"Belgium is on high alert after a security officer for a nuclear plant was found dead with his work pass stolen. The concerning development, which occurred on Thursday but was only reported today by Dernière Heure, comes after concerns the Brussels bombers had been plotting to create a radioactive “dirty bomb” that would scatter nuclear material in a crowded public place. The security officer was reportedly shot dead as he walked his dog in the city of Charleroi. Authorities quickly cancelled his pass. While the motive for the murder remains unknown, police are looking into the theory he was killed to steal his pass and gain access to a nuclear facility.

Eleven nuclear workers have had their security passes revoked amid fears the Brussels attackers wanted to steal nuclear material to build a dirty bomb. Seven workers at the Tihange nuclear power station had their passes cancelled, with a further four revoked after being reviewed by a committee composed of intelligence and security agencies. Police discovered hidden camera footage of a senior nuclear worker while they were searching the flat belonging to the girlfriend of Mohammed Bakkali, a key figure in both the Brussels and Paris bombings. The footage was from a camera planted opposite the home of an executive at the Centre for the Study of Nuclear Energy in the town of Mol. Police fear the attackers may have wanted to kidnap or capture him in order to obtain radioactive material.

Belgian authorities are facing increasing criticism of their handling of terror intelligence, after it emerged soldiers were not deployed to protect nuclear facilities until two weeks after the footage was found. Interior Minister Jan Jambon initiallysaid: “Nothing indicates a specific threat to nuclear power plants… This is why we are not planning any military support.” He soon changed his mind, however. Mr Jambon offered his resignation after the attacks this week, but this was rejected by Prime Minister Charles Michel."

www.breitbart.com/london/2016/03/26/belgian-nuclear-officer-found-dead-pass-stolen/

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes, but according to the right-wing trolls in this thread this is all utter rubbish because the article happened to be published in the Guardian. Pathetic.

Not because, but typical of many articles inThe Guardian.

As you are typical of many on the left who just like to label, insult and name call people who dare not to share your oh so lofty ideals.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I think the article had a point. The consequence of successive governments middle east policy of the last 25 years or so means we either have to withdraw completely and hope they leave us alone or end it once and for all, no matter how long and bloody doing that may prove to be. The drop a few bombs and hope they get the message policy we are pursing currently is going nowhere, it's too late for half hearted efforts and hope for the best...

Though the level of our culpability or otherwise over the last 25 years is debatable, I do think you have a point in that it is going to be one or the other. Of course we can go on like this, having lots more Je Suis memorials with nice words designed not to offend, as this puts off unpleasant decisions. Perhaps we have one final conference involving all parties, and really try to go for a solution, though I really don't hold much hope of this, as I think we are facing an enemy which has absolutely no interest in any compromise with the infidels. This then leaves the other alternative to end it once and for all . . Militarily, if the combined power of the West and Russia was put to use, IS would be destroyed quite quickly, and many innocent and not so innocent folk killed, but given the fanaticism of that ilk, would it even then be the end? Obviously good intelligence is key to preventing attacks, but it is not going to stop all of them, and as they spread and possibly multiply, gradually opinion will become so polarised, that war may be inevitable. Yes, this is what the fanatics want, and they will have "won" but can one really see any alternative end?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Not because, but typical of many articles inThe Guardian.

Written by Simon Jenkins, a former editor of The Times, a Murdoch newspaper. Hardly a left-wing firebrand!

And why is suggesting a more rational approach to dealing with the attacks - ie getting on with life without giving the terrorirsts a sense of achievement - a 'left-wing' idea and 'typical of articles in The Guardian'? I dont get it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Written by Simon Jenkins, a former editor of The Times, a Murdoch newspaper. Hardly a left-wing firebrand!

And why is suggesting a more rational approach to dealing with the attacks - ie getting on with life without giving the terrorirsts a sense of achievement - a 'left-wing' idea and 'typical of articles in The Guardian'? I dont get it.
Every atrocity since 9/11 has had similar new headlines and all that's happened is us getting on with our lives. Nothing's changed.

Jenkins' piece is scaremongering in itself, trying to portray the media as the bad guys, stoking up trouble. We haven't had widespread retaliation or intolerance up till now and we won't over this. The bad guys are the ones who planted the bombs. This relativism of printing the media as bad as ISIS is weak but typical of the narrative of those who prefer to tackle the reaction rather than the actions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Every atrocity since 9/11 has had similar new headlines and all that's happened is us getting on with our lives. Nothing's changed.

Jenkins' piece is scaremongering in itself, trying to portray the media as the bad guys, stoking up trouble. We haven't had widespread retaliation or intolerance up till now and we won't over this. The bad guys are the ones who planted the bombs. This relativism of printing the media as bad as ISIS is weak but typical of the narrative of those who prefer to tackle the reaction rather than the actions.

I get where you're coming from but that's not 100% true. You and I do but it's not true for everyone. I have a friend who lives in Brussels and he posted on Facebook on the evening after the attacks how great it was to see people still in the bars and restaurants. Then, more recently, pictures of the very heavy security you now have to get through to take the Metro. When our company relocated to Canary Wharf one of the senior developers applied to work from home all the time as he "didn't want to work in a terrorist target". On the Wednesday evening train back back from London Bridge some bloke had a screaming fit because there was an "unattended rucksack on the floor" (there wasn't it was the guard's and he was a foot away on the platform getting latercomers on board).

The fact is terrorism is used as a smoke screen for every snooopers charter and privacy law going. It's the main issue in the FBI versus Apple spat in the States. We know from Wiki Leaks how far this sort of thing goes. The folks who have the the biggest days out on the back of this are the extremist groups on one side and whatever the EDL call themselves these days on the other.

We HAVE sleep walked to 1984. Your data is far less secure and you are CCTV-d all the time. I remember being frisked by the Old Bill as totally routine outside the Goldstone North Stand (in fact a right of passage) but we got beyond that, which was nice. Now the searches are back.

I think Jenkins makes that point rather elegantly.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Simon Jenkins is right. Making a big deal about the imminent threat from more expected attacks simply feeds the terrorists' wish to terrify everyone. It tells everyone that they are beating us.

It never used to be like that. When Brighton was bombed by the IRA, what did we do? We went to work and grumbled about the traffic. These days we would be expected to deck the Clock Tower with candles while the rest of the world played "Pray for Brighton" for the best part of a month.

I have to congratulate you on this post; clear, level headed and sensible.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I am obviously not level headed, sensible and am over reacting. I must have imagined that there are religious zealots who have slaughtered people in Nairobi, New York, London, Bali, Bombay, Brussels, Madrid, Ankara, Istanbul, Paris and a whole load of other places. How ridiculous to think that there is anything to grumble about other than our civil liberties and our freedom of speech which, of course, now must not upset the sensibilities of one particular religion.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Typical lefty bollocks from the Labour Party daily news sheet!
As usual, more interested in the reaction of people's feelings towards the actions of 'Muslim' terrorists that might possibly offend Muslims!!!
As per the norm trying to take some 'right on' liberal moral high ground that anyone who dares react angrily to terrorists like this are now doing exactly what they wanted to achieve, and dare anyone have anything remotely bad to say about Muslims because if you do you are a 'Racist'!
What a load of shit!!!!

Hmm the Guardian.

"A muslim shopkeeper was recently murdered in Glasgow, Scotland. Naturally the bogey-man far-right was in the frame.... only it turned out to be a fellow muslim. That presented the uber-left Guardian with a problem....

It is now known that he was stabbed up to 30 times at his shop, for praising both the life of Jesus and ‘his beloved Christian nation’. That is why he was murdered by another muslim, so how did the Guardian report this uncomfortable fact?

Flowers and messages of thanks have been left on a street corner in Glasgow where a much-loved shopkeeper was stabbed to death in an attack that police are treating as “religiously prejudiced”.

The man, who has been named locally as Asad Shah, was described as a gentle man who cared deeply for his community and every year would print out his own Christmas cards with personal messages for customers.

Police Scotland announced on Friday evening that a 32-year-old man had been arrested in connection with the death of 40-year-old Shah, who was discovered with serious injuries in the Shawlands area of Glasgow, a few miles south of the city centre, just after 9pm on Thursday. The victim was taken to the Queen Elizabeth university hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

As pretty much every other newspaper to report on the affair has noted – The Express; The Daily Mail; The Sun – the killer was another Muslim. At no stage, anywhere in the Guardian article are we told this. (Nor, shamefully, does the print edition of the increasingly liberal-squishy Telegraph report this detail; nor does the left-wing Independent). This is worse than politically correct squeamishness. This is actively dangerous and irresponsible.

Anyone so-minded could read this report of the “religiously prejudiced” murder of a Muslim shopkeeper and draw the conclusion that his killer was a Christian seeking vengeance after Brussels. In fact, there was never any question about the killer’s religious identity: Mohammad Faisal, a family friend, said a bearded Muslim wearing a long religious robe entered Mr Shah’s shop and spoke to him in his native language before stabbing him in the head with a kitchen knife.

and

Mr Shah’s brother, who was working next door, rushed out to find the killer laughing while sitting on the Glasgow newsagent’s bleeding chest. ‘The brother dragged Mr Shah away but the guy continued attacking with the blade,’ said Mr Faisal. ‘They struggled up to the bus stop where Asad collapsed. ‘It was just a clear-cut revenge attack. For posting messages about peace, messages about greeting fellow Christians and Jews. ‘That man must not have been too happy about what he was doing, what he was preaching. It was a well-planned attack. He must have been an extremist.

www.breitbart.com/london/2016/03/26...ing-press-hides-religious-identity-of-killer/

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
closer to home
UK border force to be cut again?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports