Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Belgium bombing - An interesting perspective

D

Deleted member 22389

Successive governments have allowed Muslims to ruin this country.

In a nutshell yes. We never had this problem 20 years ago. political correctness has allowed religion and culture to exploit our democracy.

D

Deleted member 22389

Very sad, though not really a twist this is happening all the time in the Middle East if you speak out as a moderate. It will become more common here if things carry on.

Spot on here.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
As an unashamed, right-wing Ukipper, I agreed with everything in that article.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You think he writes eminent sense simply because it panders to your prejudices!

If you think that challenging an ill-judged statement using observation and logic is being snooty then you just carry on old sport.

and today's pompous prize goes to..

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Very sad, though not really a twist this is happening all the time in the Middle East if you speak out as a moderate. It will become more common here if things carry on.

I do wonder to what extent there is unreported intimidation within the muslim communities in this country - does the loud, aggressive minority simply accept that others are less dogmatic? Somehow I doubt it.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
In a nutshell yes. We never had this problem 20 years ago. political correctness has allowed religion and culture to exploit our democracy.

It would be very hard to argue against this, and the more militant ones have realised this, sensing they have the upper hand. How long were the hate preachers allowed to operate, and gangs exploit vulnerable girls, until finally someone somewhere dared to risk the wrath of the politically correct, and claim that this cannot go on any longer. After every attack, there is always someone desperate to state that it has nothing to do with islam, as whatever happens, we cannot "offend" anyone.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
But journalists have their audience because of the opinions they have. I don't think they bend them to suit whichever readers they have that day.

Agree some journalists have a following because of their opinions or writing style but there must be some who adjust their copy (even if subtly) to suit the audience. Not that Jenkins has in this instance. My point which seems to have been lost many pages ago was more about the mindset of your average Guardian reader's world view.

It isn't at all difficult to understand as the very broadest of generalisations.

What is difficult to understand is why you should present your opinion as a fact when you know the reality is that the monosyllabic, inflammatory, pappy dross served up by hacks in the "popular press" to feed the prejudices and phobias of the unthinking is a complete world away from those informed articles written by articulate, intelligent, conviction journalists to whom prostituting their services would be anathema?

As [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] has alluded, your alignment with the extremists on this thread does you no credit.

Middle Earth eh?

It was a broad generalisation as the point I was responding to seemed to suggest a journalist could not have a left of centre 'Guardian' mindset on one issue after previously being editor of a Murdoch paper.

Not sure where I presented my opinion as fact. It would be helpful if you could point that bit out.

Many an article written by articulate, intelligent, conviction journalists feeds prejudice, reinforces pre conceptions and apparently feelings of superiority and elitism.

I'm not overly bothered about the numerous cliques on here and who belongs to which gang. Just call things as I see them, right or wrong.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hastings gull;7338502 we cannot "offend" anyone.[/QUOTE said:
This is why we are in the situation.
You only have to look at some of the posts/posters on here that respond to anyone that dares to question.......

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Your comment is why we need to invest more in education
"We" don't need to do anything "you" as an immigrant from New Zealand need to mind your own business and stop making snide statements to people who have been directly affected by the issues you chose to come and live amongst.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
terrorist attacks and our reaction/response to them causes a heated and often vitriolic argument on an internet message board for people who all support the same football club.

i'd add a comment about "the terrorists winning" if it wasn't all so depressing...

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I am mystified by this being viewed in left/right terms. The article simply seems to say that if the major objective of these actions is to cause the maximum disruption to our society in real and emotional terms and, through so doing to undermine its foundations, and that our response to it should be a balance of protection and prevention whilst minimising the extent to which the perpetrators aims are achieved. It isn't saying that we shouldn't engage in security operations but just that these should aim at being effective rather than headline grabbing. The example of the IRA campaign has been raised and it is relevant, our response to it was to defiantly get on with our lives as much as possible.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I am mystified by this being viewed in left/right terms. The article simply seems to say that if the major objective of these actions is to cause the maximum disruption to our society in real and emotional terms and, through so doing to undermine its foundations, and that our response to it should be a balance of protection and prevention whilst minimising the extent to which the perpetrators aims are achieved. It isn't saying that we shouldn't engage in security operations but just that these should aim at being effective rather than headline grabbing. The example of the IRA campaign has been raised and it is relevant, our response to it was to defiantly get on with our lives as much as possible.

Some people just seem to see a headline or even the newspaper something comes from and they have a rummage in their cliche lucky dip bag.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Yes, but according to the right-wing trolls in this thread this is all utter rubbish because the article happened to be published in the Guardian. Pathetic.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Some people just seem to see a headline or even the newspaper something comes from and they have a rummage in their cliche lucky dip bag.

as in when someone posts a link to an article in the Daily Mail?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

This smart -alek comment seems to show that this is precisely what you did . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here