The Belgium bombing - An interesting perspective

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
At the end of the day the majority of us want to go about our daily lives in the way we choose but other groups seem to want the rest of us to go about our daily lives in the way they choose. Whether you believe the West interfering in the Middle East comes under the heading of poking your nose in other people's business, helping others or safeguarding your own interests is a matter of opinion. The fact remains that nobody appears to be winning anything at the moment.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
as in when someone posts a link to an article in the Daily Mail?

Fair enough comment.

Can't stand that paper myself but I'm not going to comment on anything written in it without reading it. And then I'll tell you why I don't like it.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Richard Dearlove: Former MI6 Chief Says EU Exit Would Have Low Security Cost for Britain
Exiting from the EU would allow Britain "the ability to dump the European Convention on Human Rights" and "greater control over immigration from the European Union," Dearlove wrote in Prospect.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Doesn't matter what paper it's in, it seems to be pure common sense to me. Our reaction to terrorism IS hysterical. 57 people have died from Islamic terror attacks on UK soil since 2005 including some of the bombers. In just one of those years, 2013, over 1700 people died in road traffic accidents. We don't "pray for the M25" or send reporters off in the latest Ford Focus to stare death in the face though do we?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Fair enough comment.

Can't stand that paper myself but I'm not going to comment on anything written in it without reading it. And then I'll tell you why I don't like it.

Some people just seem to see a headline or even the newspaper something comes from and they have a rummage in their cliche lucky dip bag.

very recent quotes from yourself - should you really be lecturing others?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
"We" don't need to do anything "you" as an immigrant from New Zealand need to mind your own business and stop making snide statements to people who have been directly affected by the issues you chose to come and live amongst.

Define an immigrant for me

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
[/B]

Some people just seem to see a headline or even the newspaper something comes from and they have a rummage in their cliche lucky dip bag.

very recent quotes from yourself - should you really be lecturing others?

Double bingo.

You carry on playing the 'condescending, snooty, ivory tower' shit mate. You've answered your own accusation with the quote you've taken from me. If I read something, I'll say why I don't like it. I'm not going to say 'Fairly condescending article' or such like without saying why I think so.
So what is your point, other than trying to patronise me as a hand wringing lefty or some such rubbish?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
This is quite a good response.

"This article is an escapist act of self-delusion . Simon Jenkins finds it easy to write this emotional idealistic rubbish because ,so far he has not found himself in a Madrid/London/Paris/Brussels terror act scenario. The fact of the matter is that Radical Islam has declared war on European infedels quite some time ago and we are now starting to smell the coffee. Vigilanti practices in Spain have encouraged peaceful citizens to make over 600 reports of radicalized elements to the Police and this yielded the arrest of 85 terrorists, some working under the guise of NGO's, so stop moaning Simon Jenkins, we are at war, only tactics have changed, as they always do since the story of the Trojan Horse."

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Double bingo.

You carry on playing the 'condescending, snooty, ivory tower' shit mate. You've answered your own accusation with the quote you've taken from me. If I read something, I'll say why I don't like it. I'm not going to say 'Fairly condescending article' or such like without saying why I think so.
So what is your point, other than trying to patronise me as a hand wringing lefty or some such rubbish?

What a strop! Clearly you don't see the contradiction in the two posts. Of course you should say you don't like something; why ever should you not. But when others do, you say they are reaching for some bag of clichés. Just think first before stropping.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I am mystified by this being viewed in left/right terms. The article simply seems to say that if the major objective of these actions is to cause the maximum disruption to our society in real and emotional terms and, through so doing to undermine its foundations, and that our response to it should be a balance of protection and prevention whilst minimising the extent to which the perpetrators aims are achieved. It isn't saying that we shouldn't engage in security operations but just that these should aim at being effective rather than headline grabbing. The example of the IRA campaign has been raised and it is relevant, our response to it was to defiantly get on with our lives as much as possible.

Whilst I agree with you on the left and right position politically, there are nonetheless a significant body within the media commentariat that dominate the debate when these attacks happen with messages that coalesce around a view which is don't worry, worse things happen at sea.

Jenkins is part of this body, and in his article he highlights that a media over reaction to this attack plays into the hands of the terrorists. To make this point he explains that more people are dying in Syria and Iraq everyday, and these victims are ignored because they are not European.

This type of relativism is risible as it seeks to underplay the magnitude of the attack, and its consequences in Europe. I dare say you could use that kind of whataboutery on lots of different aspects where things are different in Europe to more impoverished and dangerous parts of the world.

We have heard this all before of course, and no doubt we will hear it in the forthcoming attacks, his assertion that the reaction is the worst thing though really sticks in the craw.........people are dead and have suffered life changing injuries.

Jenkins is the same group of people of course that will highlight the tragedy of migrant deaths in the Mediterranean on the basis of "something must be done"..........no sentiment there about media over reaction and keep calm and carry on.

At the end of the day people want preventative action by their politicians, the opening up of the EU to visa free travel for 75m Turks and mass migration to millions of people from the Middle East who want a better life will not square that circle.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
What a strop! Clearly you don't see the contradiction in the two posts. Of course you should say you don't like something; why ever should you not. But when others do, you say they are reaching for some bag of clichés. Just think first before stropping.

Where's the contradiction? I said I would say WHY I don't like something. My post about cliches was aimed at posts such as the very first one on the thread and more. But you carry on with your own narrative.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Doesn't matter what paper it's in, it seems to be pure common sense to me. Our reaction to terrorism IS hysterical. 57 people have died from Islamic terror attacks on UK soil since 2005 including some of the bombers. In just one of those years, 2013, over 1700 people died in road traffic accidents. We don't "pray for the M25" or send reporters off in the latest Ford Focus to stare death in the face though do we?

The very same argument applies these people and their kids dying in the med which are (and have been) all over the news for months.

What do they expect all clambering into inflatable dinghies dangerously overloaded, it's little wonder that some die.

Given the millions of migrants that have arrived in recent times the death rate of a few thousand, including the odd 6 year old, should barely get a mention.

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
You seem to be caught between two stools, matey. You're not sure whether to keep with the preachy moral high ground or whether to continue scoring cheap points like this.

****ing hell it's happy hour in The Patronising Arms tonight.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Regardless of any pertinent points raised in that article, the whole thing becomes meaningless when you start claiming that a media reaction to Islamic extremists planting yet more bombs in European cities is worse than blowing up people. It's clearly not. It's clearly bollocks to claim otherwise.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Someone who, as you have, says theyre a new zealander.

Very narrow definition that betrays the complexities of life. I am many things, a Kiwi, English etc. To understand requires a level of open mindedness and depth of thinking. Somehow the difficulties of that doesn't surprise me from someone who defends the OP "Successive governments have allowed Muslims to ruin this country."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports