Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The beginning of the end.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So glad I didn't come on NSC after the game and am only now, in a composed manner, reading the reactions, and some of them are quite funny. The usual suspects with the usual bollocks :laugh:

If I remember rightly, a couple of weeks earlier than this in 2016 we got spanked by Cardiff? Who would have thunked it? Trying to remember how we did consequently.

I'll stick to my W10 D4 L6 (now retrospectively) and not get into Corporal Jones mode.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Some people need to chill

One defeat to a team in 5th away from home.....

Newcastle didn't win and the manager has fallen out with the board.

Reading and Leeds and not consistent enough to catch Brighton

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The premier league will be pissing themselves laughing, if we turn up playing like this game to be fair.

Have you watched some of the performances that some of the teams up there turn in sometimes?

I think we could have a bit of a giggle ourselves

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It's NOT the beginning of the END it is the END of our promotion chances this SEASON, we WILL be out of the TOP 2 by the Ipswich game and out of the top 6 by the end of THIS month. It's the USUAL Albion, refusing to SING a goalscorer like Ross McCormack as he might UPSET some of the DELICATE players we have whilst MASSIVE teams like Wednesday pay TEN MILLION for Jordan ROADS.

Thank God someone's talking some sense on here at last!!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Some people need to chill

One defeat to a team in 5th away from home.....

Newcastle didn't win and the manager has fallen out with the board.

Reading and Leeds and not consistent enough to catch Brighton

Whats happened with Raffa and the Newcastle Board ?

They are easy to fall out with - Especially Lee Charnley. He is a bit of a Nob-edd

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I'm all for positivity, but how can you relate that to Cardiff last year? How do you know we will respond in the same way?

Why wasn't Preston our Cardiff of last season? They could have beaten us by more.

Just because we bounced back then with the pressure of staying in the fight doesn't mean we will now, especially as we seem quite complacent in our position, something I suggested we might be but got shot down with comments such as DONT BE STUPID HUGHTS WOULD NEVVA ALLOW THE PLAYERS TO BE COMPLACENT.

The pressure is on, hopefully we will get a response from what I hope was an extensive grilling from Chris after the game, because for all the praise we have been heaping on hudds, we were shocking. Hardest thing to take is they actually looked VERY vulnerable when we were running at them, unfortunately that was about 4 times the entire match. Hardly surprising without a midfield (Stephens) in the game.

That day we were set up completely wrong and we paid the price. Same again yesterday imho. Preston we were not THAT bad. We should have scored at nil nil and they scored with their only two shots on target. Last night was different and WAS like Cardiff. We were completely dominated and it could have been a rugby score (as could Cardiff). Everyone was crap. I would rather everyone had a bad day together and then sorted it out rather than two or three being off for a few games in a row.

I would expect a different formation vs Brentford with one up top with knock and hopefully march (but likely jiri). We could then hopefully have kayal Stephens plus one other in the middle with one having licence to get forward. We were overrun last night and I can't see us letting that happen again. When sam b gets over his "niggle" we can revert to type.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think it was clear for all to see that, even though they are good in their own right, the mobility isn't really there with Hemed and Murray up top together.. Sometimes you just need that option to PUNT IT into a channel and know who have a player after it.

That's why, when Baldock is out, I personally prefer Solly, Murphy or AK buzzing around playing off the focal frontman. It's another body in midfield but also a bit of pace and pestering.

If Baldock isn't back then that's what I would expect to see at Brentford, but then Chris is a MUCH better manager than me so in him I trust!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'd love to know what your basing that on?

The late winner against Cardiff where the whole team celebrated wildly, knowing how important a win in that game was?
The late winner against Sheffield Wednesday where the whole team celebrated wildly, knowing how important a win in that game was?

The media may be complacent, some fans may be complacent (I doubt they are), but in NO WAY can I see anything that would suggest the manager or the team are.

Yeah, absolutely. Indeed this is the reason why I AM complacent :albion:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That day we were set up completely wrong and we paid the price. Same again yesterday imho. Preston we were not THAT bad. We should have scored at nil nil and they scored with their only two shots on target. Last night was different and WAS like Cardiff. We were completely dominated and it could have been a rugby score (as could Cardiff). Everyone was crap. I would rather everyone had a bad day together and then sorted it out rather than two or three being off for a few games in a row.

I would expect a different formation vs Brentford with one up top with knock and hopefully march (but likely jiri). We could then hopefully have kayal Stephens plus one other in the middle with one having licence to get forward. We were overrun last night and I can't see us letting that happen again. When sam b gets over his "niggle" we can revert to type.

Fair enough there are similarities. Windy conditions, every bounce falling for them, goals from lucky bounces/mistakes, game died with penalty/sending off etc... but the similarity ends when you consider we were very much in the game at Cardiff, they just scored with every chance they had, Hudds had a multitude of chances and we weren't in the game at all.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Every team will have a dip in form during the course of a season remember Micky Adams used to say it's a marathon not a sprint

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
We've not played well for most of the season but spirit and a never say die attitude have seen us through. Last night we played badly and without that attitude. We need to start playing well and consistently.

Oh and I wish we'd bought Wells, just what we need.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We've not played well for most of the season but spirit and a never say die attitude have seen us through.

I've been thinking this, but wondered if it was just my memory.

We've never really hit the heights of the second half of last season have we?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I've been thinking this, but wondered if it was just my memory.

We've never really hit the heights of the second half of last season have we?

Nope. Been saying it a while, need an upturn in performances, we can't rely on a smash and grab in every game.

QPR were shell shocked with an early rabbit out the hat from Sam, followed by a pen and then a sending off.

Before that I can't really remember a convincing win unless we go back to Norwich where they were equally as poor as we were impressive. Still, even that game we killed them with a counter after they were dominating, then imploded.

Not saying we're not deserving of our position, how could we not be, but we certainly haven't picked up the form of late last season (yet).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm not really sure about this at all. I've been following since mid-80's and there's very few examples of us ****ing up good positions. Perhaps the only season I can think of is the 91-92 relegation following the play-off final. Since then we've had three championship seasons, all of which we were top on October and drove on, four seasons where we were buried in the relegation zone at Christmas and stayed up; and several seasons of overachieving our squad capability, not least of which was last year when we really just wanted to consolidate following a scrape with relegation.

Which brings to my other point, how can people follow football for decades and not see what is in front of their eyes? This is a promotion-winning squad and its obvious, decades of following football should tell you that. How can people watch but not learn I'll never know.

It was also pretty obvious we'd lose last night, so I took my wife out for dinner instead and saved myself the hassle

I think many people can see we have a potential (key word) promotion winning side. I don't think we're up necessarily at all! Is Brentford pretty obvious defeat too? Just asking so I can plan Sunday as your crystal ball works better than mine! I thought we could get a draw last night, least until saw team sheet and Kayal look exhausted after the warm up ;)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think many people can see we have a potential (key word) promotion winning side. I don't think we're up necessarily at all! Is Brentford pretty obvious defeat too? Just asking so I can plan Sunday as your crystal ball works better than mine! I thought we could get a draw last night, least until saw team sheet and Kayal look exhausted after the warm up ;)

No, Brentford will be fine mate

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I have a strong feeling this is the beginning of the end for us this season. We've been poor for a long time, no investment during the transfer window and 2 capitulations in 2 games.

I think we can hope for play-offs at best and we all know how that's likely to go.

Followed by a mass exodus of players who have stayed only for one last crack at promotion.

Your horse needs mucking out - take your time :moo:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I have a strong feeling this is the beginning of the end for us this season. We've been poor for a long time, no investment during the transfer window and 2 capitulations in 2 games.

I think we can hope for play-offs at best and we all know how that's likely to go.

Followed by a mass exodus of players who have stayed only for one last crack at promotion.

babyscared.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here