Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] The Bear Pit

Do you think The Bear Pit is a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 165 72.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 26 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 36 15.9%

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
it's an idiotic, stupid and moronic idea. NSC is of course primarily a football discussion board but for the nearly 20 years it's been around we've discussed everything and everything has been on one single board. I get the 'Other Stuff' board to prevent Google wetting their bed but other than that, until recently, one single board. I'll even begrudgingly accept the Covid sub-forum ( no idea why though ) as it's accessible from the Main Board. I've said many times before that NSC is like a virtual pub - albeit without the drinks ( the Friday night drinkies thread excepted ). You would have to go into a separate room in the pub to discuss a different topic - so why here ?

What next on trying to move non-football threads - lets have a separate forum for all these ridiculous music threads - you know the one's like "Name your favourite band that went on stage in wellies". Or maybe we could have a "Crap non-football Sports Thread" and get rid of the golf, running and NFL threads ?

90% of thread titles make the subject matter obvious and yet you still get the morons posting in them "This isn't about football so why is it here ?" - well don't fvcking click on it and comment in it you moron.

The Bear Pit is a shit idea.

Think it will reduce traffic to NSC, but that's the decision of the website owner

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
it's an idiotic, stupid and moronic idea. NSC is of course primarily a football discussion board but for the nearly 20 years it's been around we've discussed everything and everything has been on one single board. I get the 'Other Stuff' board to prevent Google wetting their bed but other than that, until recently, one single board. I'll even begrudgingly accept the Covid sub-forum ( no idea why though ) as it's accessible from the Main Board. I've said many times before that NSC is like a virtual pub - albeit without the drinks ( the Friday night drinkies thread excepted ). You would have to go into a separate room in the pub to discuss a different topic - so why here ?

What next on trying to move non-football threads - lets have a separate forum for all these ridiculous music threads - you know the one's like "Name your favourite band that went on stage in wellies". Or maybe we could have a "Crap non-football Sports Thread" and get rid of the golf, running and NFL threads ?

90% of thread titles make the subject matter obvious and yet you still get the morons posting in them "This isn't about football so why is it here ?" - well don't fvcking click on it and comment in it you moron.

The Bear Pit is a shit idea.

Over 70% in favour on the poll which is more than, say, a democratic 52/48 victory for another shit idea :moo: :fishing: :lolol:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like the idea . . . . I haven't and won't look in the bear pit, so can stick to general NSC football, music and the nicer side of life, a bit like it used to be in the good old days.

Also stops me getting drawn into pointless pissed rants with loons And posting 'massive generalisations' ;-)

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I like the idea . . . . I haven't and won't look in the bear pit, so can stick to general NSC football, music and the nicer side of life, a bit like it used to be in the good old days.

Also stops me getting drawn into pointless pissed rants with loons And posting 'massive generalisations' ;-)

Totally agree.
I looked on that Brexit thread a few times and it was vile. I think its a good idea especially with BLM which has raised race issues. Maybe if everyone plays nice it won't be needed in the long run?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What makes you think that?

Rightly or wrongly controversy drives clicks, talk to the Editor of the Daily Mail. Maybe 6m clicks on the Brexit thread said enough is enough and NSC is at the end of the day an Albion forum

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I think it's a great move. While I understand traditionally if things aren't on the main board they tend to die, if the content away from the main board is stronger (the bear pit fits the bill) then sub-boards will flourish.

Keep it going! The main board has been great recently.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Pubs will be open soon. Much less abuse dished out there when discussing politics

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Rightly or wrongly controversy drives clicks, talk to the Editor of the Daily Mail. Maybe 6m clicks on the Brexit thread said enough is enough and NSC is at the end of the day an Albion forum

People can still go there if they want to listen to threads which are broken records.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The Brexit thread is still available for anyone to view, click and post on should they wish to.

Same goes for all the other Bear Pit threads.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

But NSC was turning into a kind of Daily Mail/Daily Mirror hybrid. That’s the point.
The quality of political debate in here is abysmal. In the main it is childish point scoring and abuse of those with different opinions. There are even examples of both on this and the other bear pit threads of the last few days.
Until and unless users learn to respect other people’s opinions the bear pit is an excellent idea.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
But NSC was turning into a kind of Daily Mail/Daily Mirror hybrid. That’s the point.
The quality of political debate in here is abysmal. In the main it is childish point scoring and abuse of those with different opinions. There are even examples of both on this and the other bear pit threads of the last few days.
Until and unless users learn to respect other people’s opinions the bear pit is an excellent idea.

That's modern politics though. For balance, to take examples at each end of the spectrum, look at Trump and Corbyn. The former doesn't debate at all. He harangues, shouts, proclaims via Twitter, lies and doubles down, picking up enemies as he goes. Corbyn didn't even respect the opinions of people in his own party.

When those are your "leaders" it is little wonder that the followers copy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

In all fairness the level of often far better than a British red top newspaper, NSC is better than that. The problem arises when posters resort to personal insults, can't be done with that

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I touched on this in a thread yesterday in that I was initially against it but have come around to the idea. My reason for being against it initially was, as others have said, it can run the risk of squashing discussion which is pretty bad in my eyes. Things like racism, politics, society, humanity, history etc etc all need to be discussed.

However the threads that end up in the Bear Pit aren't discussions. They may start out that way but within a page or three they turn into the same handful of people from the various degrees of the opinion spectrum just shouting at each other.

So I'm for it. With any luck we'll be able to have some actual discussion and debate in threads now. And if they too end up degenerating into bile then off to the Pit with them.

If nothing else we still have the football to yell at each other over.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That's modern politics though. For balance, to take examples at each end of the spectrum, look at Trump and Corbyn. The former doesn't debate at all. He harangues, shouts, proclaims via Twitter, lies and doubles down, picking up enemies as he goes. Corbyn didn't even respect the opinions of people in his own party.

When those are your "leaders" it is little wonder that the followers copy.

I don’t disagree. We are where we are though and that includes NSC. I know the football is back and that was always likely to increase the Albion content but I just think that non political threads will get the chance to breathe on the main board without being subsumed by angry, abusive politicos.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
After 4 years on the main board, I quite enjoyed the history of people's ever changing views and opinions on the Brexit thread (in case anybody hadn't noticed), but given the amount of race fishing threads which were constantly being posted on the Main Board, then I think the Bear Pit was the way to go, even if it meant sacrificing the Brexit thread :thumbsup:

Although, as pointed out above, the Brexit thread is still there if anyone wants to go over to the Bear pit and highlight some benefits :wink:
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?343854-The-Brexit-Thread

And besides, Football's back :clap:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I like it how quite a few ‘lefties’ or anti-racists, such as yourself, are loving the new NSC with the sidelined Bear Pit.

Contrary to what your Alt Right detractors might say, imho you didn‘t post in those threads to grandstand, or to post relentless diatribe against all things Tory. You posted to challenge racism, antisemitism or homophobia, along with your general musings from 8 Acacia Drive, Faversham (PPF immediately looks it up on google maps :lolol:).

Yep. I have no interest in starting political debates (although I may well have done) but, to paraphrase Edmund Burke, evil triumps when the safe, comfy and unthreatened say nothing. All the best from Acacia Drive :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here