Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The band/artist you never saw, never will, and regret the most because of it

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I wonder which era TH you mean. Saw them supporting the Romones at the Roundhouse circa 77. They were a bit annoying and very ignorable. Then I saw them again in around 85 in Vancouver, when Byrne had the oversized suit, and they were absolutely stunning.

I would love to have seen the big suit era - the Stop Making Sense tour. The film of that concert(s) is just awesome.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Oddly, as I wouldn't consider myself a fan, Michael Jackson - I'd got tickets for his London dates tour in 2009, I think the opportunity to see any artist of legendary status is too good to miss but then he died so that's definitely a regret. I was too young to see the Smiths so that's always a disappointment, turns out Morrissey is a loon anyway. Inspiral carpets would be on a regret list.

Couldn't persuade the other half to see Manilow in Vegas while over there, that would have been fun as well!

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Carly Simon. Mainly because she did very few concerts. Suffered badly with nerves.

Stan Getz

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I suppose it is Bands you could have seen as opposed to ones you couldn't possibly have seen.

Certainly more in the second category. Just happy to have seen the ones I did see.

Still nostalgic for Hawkwind 1977 Spirit of the Age Tour in Manchester complete with ruck between local Hells Angels Chapter and Security.

It wasn't Top of the Pops to say the least...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Can't regret not seeing bands before my time, realistically that was 16 I guess, although I did see bands before then . . . Equally can't regret not bothering going to see bands I didn't like, NIrvana for example.

Never saw the Stones of BOwie, or queen, I suppose I could have done, but not the way I'd have liked, ie a smaller venue, as opposed to a football stadium.

I missed Chuck Berry in St Louis in 2002, by 5 hours, had to fly out the day he played. Shame.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Love weren't the luckiest band - jail and deaths. If what you saw, though, was the ensemble with which Arthur Lee played Glastonbury, that did indeed most wonderfully capture Love in their pomp - in fact they well surpassed it. The Love albums at the time were widely criticised for having too much orchestration - the band as it was could never have recreated the album tracks as recorded - so to see Arthur able to perform those tracks live which he could never have done before was wonderful - wish I'd got to see that gig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz54rMimXnY

Yes, that's what I saw :thumbsup:

Edit, his voice was stronger at Mount Ephraim. Probably more confident by then:

http://www.rockfeedback.com/magazin...ount-ephraim-gardens-hernhill-kent-22-24-8-03

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Without a doubt Tom Petty, I have been lucky enough to see most of the singer/bands that I love. Some were a disappointment too, Dylan at some massive venue, probably Wembley and Bob Marley at the Brighton Centre being two of them :shrug:

I have a friend who recorded Bob Marley on tape at the Bullring in Ibiza Town, twice the atmosphere and so much better than the concert I got to see :down:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I have seen most bands I’ve want to see but regret never seeing The Clash. And to a lesser extent Daft Punk.

When I was at Uni in '78 The Clash were booked to play in the Student Union building but the Uni Film Society had the hall booked the same night and wouldn't give it up so the gig was cancelled. Every Film Soc poster that was put up over the next 2 years (and probably long after) had CLASH written across it in black marker pen. Oh, and my sister went to school with John Graham Mellor, a fact I rarely fail to tell people.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I saw most of the punk/new wave/post punk bands.But I never saw the Sex Pistols and I wouldn't go and see them now,and I never got to see Generation X,I had a ticket but the bouncers didn't let me in because I was underage.I saw Lydon with Pil,but it was prettymuch a show band and I saw Matlock with the Rich Kids.

One of my best mates saw the pistols in 77 and claims to have gobbed on Sid's guitar. I don't think i've ever met anyone else who saw them live in the 70's.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I suppose it is Bands you could have seen as opposed to ones you couldn't possibly have seen.

Certainly more in the second category. Just happy to have seen the ones I did see.

Still nostalgic for Hawkwind 1977 Spirit of the Age Tour in Manchester complete with ruck between local Hells Angels Chapter and Security.

It wasn't Top of the Pops to say the least...

That's the idea.

Regarding the poster above who saw Prefab Sprout live, often if you are unfamiliar with the music it has little impact. That's why the three occasions when I saw Elvis Costello live in the 70s were disappointing - most of the sets were of unreleased material for the next LP. Odd.

I'm still scratching my head to think if anyone tops Prefab Sprout. Steely Dan played two dates at the Rainbow in 74....and I liked them a lot, but they don't resonate with me like Prefab Sprout does. I was too young for The Doors (Morrison is my number one charismatic 'front man' - may have posted a thread on this recently) and Hendrix, and I didn't really like the Beatles or Stones much. Bowie at the Dome (my mate Roy was caned for bunking off school to buy tickets for that) and Bowie in Vancouver in 83 would have been nice, but I always preferred Peter Hammill to Bowie and all Bowie's live footage looks a bit naff to me. Seen Hammill loads of times. I remember an interviews Bowie did in the late 60s and in reply to 'where do you see yourself in 5 years' he said something along the lines of cabaret/family entertainment. I suspect had Hammill been asked the same question he would have just raised one eyebrow. I like Bowie, don't get me wrong, but I don't mind never having seen him live. Too 'show bizzy' for me.

One I did see that many on here would have loved to see was the original Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Dome. And the best version of Genesis (twice).

Hawkwind 77 you say. You didn't mention whether Stacia Blake, who I'm told was the inspiration for the Happy Monday's Bez, was with them at that gig :whistle:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Without a doubt Tom Petty, I have been lucky enough to see most of the singer/bands that I love. Some were a disappointment too, Dylan at some massive venue, probably Wembley and Bob Marley at the Brighton Centre being two of them :shrug:

I have a friend who recorded Bob Marley on tape at the Bullring in Ibiza Town, twice the atmosphere and so much better than the concert I got to see :down:

I saw Tom Petty in 1977, supporting Nils Lofgren, at Hammersmith Odeon. I love the 'official live bootleg' EP, and quite liked Petty's first album, but though he became a bit bland after that.

Edit and I saw the original Eagles, supplemented by Joe Walsh (his first gig with them possibly) at Wembley in around 75. They were very decent.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Like others, Joy Division and Bob Marley both spring to mind.

Also sad I never saw the Go-Betweens in the classic line-up, with Lindy and Amanda. Saw a later incarnation twice, plus a Robert/Grant acoustic set, but the chance has definitely gone now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I saw Tom Petty in 1977, supporting Nils Lofgren, at Hammersmith Odeon. I love the 'official live bootleg' EP, and quite liked Petty's first album, but though he became a bit bland after that.

Edit and I saw the original Eagles, supplemented by Joe Walsh (his first gid with them possibly) at Wembley in around 75. They were very decent.

Was that the Hotel California concert with a full orchestra popping up during the concert, if so I was there too!

Bought some Daily Mirror Pop Club tickets, we were in about row 6, loved it

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I had a ticket to see Ray Charles when he played The Dome, Brighton but was prevented to attend due to illness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here