Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The band/artist you never saw, never will, and regret the most because of it

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not music - but the first time I went to the Edinburgh Fringe I wanted to see Bill Hicks… but didn’t- sadly he died within the year

Now there's a name I didn't expect to see on here! Rant In E Minor still makes me cry with laughter. Yes, I would rather have seen Bill than Joy Division.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Thin Lizzy with Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson. And would loved to have seen Gary Moore in his rock days before he went all out blues. And probably my biggest omission from my youth would be not seeing The Stranglers in their punk prime up to about The Raven album.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Nirvana

I had a ticket to see them at the Manchester G-Mex, then the knobber decided to overdose and then shoot himself...

Even worse, my mate's mum, who'd bought the tickets, send them back for the £12 refund...

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Queen. Freddie Mercury had a phenomenal voice and an unbelievable stage presence, would've loved to have seen him live.

Flip side to that is that I got to see Linkin Park before Chester Bennington sadly took his life. Hands down, without a shadow of doubt, the best band I've ever seen live. His voice is as good live as it is recorded, superb, and greatly missed.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Hendrix. There are precious few videos or recordings, unlike the Beatles who I was just too young to see at the Hippodrome.

Not bothered about Hendrix, I never really 'got' him or his music. Beatles at The Hippodrome - I remember the despair of being too young while my older sister went with her boyfriend.

Wish I'd seen the Byrds together, although I realise I've seen Roger McGuinn at The Martlets Burgess Hill a couple of times, Chris Hillman at the same venue, Crosby with CSNY at Wembley 1974 and CSN at the Brighton Centre plus Gene Parsons at The Grays pub in Brighton, so I at least I've seen the constituent parts of the band and heard a good deal of their stuff live.

Moaty

Aug 19, 2021
Lochend,Edinburgh
I saw most of the punk/new wave/post punk bands.But I never saw the Sex Pistols and I wouldn't go and see them now,and I never got to see Generation X,I had a ticket but the bouncers didn't let me in because I was underage.I saw Lydon with Pil,but it was prettymuch a show band and I saw Matlock with the Rich Kids.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I never got to see Generation X,I had a ticket but the bouncers didn't let me in because I was underage.

Top Rank Brighton?
I got turned away from there a few times, gave up buying tickets because of the door policy.

I fitted a bathroom for the drummer of Generation X though :)

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
There are quite a few these days, main would be:

Bob Marley (and the Wailers)
Nirvana
David Bowie
Queen
The Doors

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Simon and Garfunkel, the Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Fairport Convention with Sandy Denny or Judy Dyble, Love in the days of Forever Changes, The Doors, Buffalo Springfield.

Yep, also with Ian Matthews, Martin Lamble and the dog on the stage too! One of my favourite ever gigs - Fairport with Sahdy, but still doing many of the songs they did with Judy Dyble.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Arthur Lee and some young musicians played Mount Ephraim (Canterbury) Festival getting on for 20 years ago. We expected shite but it was one of the 5 best gigs I ever saw. The young musicians recreated the original sound exactly. Lee's voice was perfect. Old people (my mates, in their 50s at the time) cried. It was amazing. :thumbsup:

Love weren't the luckiest band - jail and deaths. If what you saw, though, was the ensemble with which Arthur Lee played Glastonbury, that did indeed most wonderfully capture Love in their pomp - in fact they well surpassed it. The Love albums at the time were widely criticised for having too much orchestration - the band as it was could never have recreated the album tracks as recorded - so to see Arthur able to perform those tracks live which he could never have done before was wonderful - wish I'd got to see that gig!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz54rMimXnY

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am not going to comment on those that I was too young to see (or not born)

In terms of bands of my vintage I would love to have seen.

Paul Weller at the Zap in 1990/91
There were a few showgaze bands that played at the zap too, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine etc. Wish I had been a bit more on the ball at that time.
Beastie Boys

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Cream - the one thing I would hold against my parents is that they wouldn’t let me go and see them at the Top Rank Centre when I was about 14.
The Allman Brothers’ Band before Duane Allman - my avatar - died. I saw them, though, at the first Knebworth.
Little Feat.
The Band
Weather Report - I did see Joe Zawinul twice in his later years - awesome.

I've been quite lucky at my younger age that, since I've become ingratiated in rock and heavy metal, most of the bands I've wanted to see, I've been lucky enough to do so. There's definitely a much longer list for bands before I was born etc I'd love to have seen. There's still a few bigger names on my list to see, such as Slipknot and System Of A Down, but they're both still around.

Regret isn't the word, because I was still new to gig going in the year or two prior, but Download 2016 would have been the first time I'd have seen Motorhead. Can still remember checking the news late at night before bed in December 2015 and seeing that Lemmy had passed away. Have grown to respect him so much in the following years.

Whilst not having the biggest knowledge on their back catalogue, the chance for me to see Slayer has been and gone. Probably the same for KISS, as I imagine Download 2022 - which i won't be at - will be their last UK show.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The Jam.

Last gig in Brighton. I should have tried harder to get in. I regret that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here