The 'back from Ipswich' thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Why Bruno was playing midfield was beyond me when we clearly have JFC desperate for experience and yet is overlooked by a Spaniard who is still recovering from a bad injury, who also does not even play midfield...at all!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why Bruno was playing midfield was beyond me when we clearly have JFC desperate for experience and yet is overlooked by a Spaniard who is still recovering from a bad injury, who also does not even play midfield...at all!

Given how physical Ipswich were I would have thought that Ince should have been playing or at least brought on :shrug:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Was absolute rubbish. Still don't get what Bruno was doing playing where he was either. Poor day move on.......

I dont think we look balanced with Bruno there in midfield. He nullified Crofts and Andrews game. Think it would have been better with Ince there letting Andrews and crofts to play a bit more

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Mistake number one was playing Bruno not a midfielder instead of Ince or JFC.

The rest followed.

Everyone looked below par for some reason, and Ipswich apart from a few minutes didn't look a lot better.

Last edited:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Bruno pranced around like a schoolgirl with a eating disorder in midfield, didn't know what he was doing and neither did anyone else. Couldn't understand the thinking. Oscar said it was to provide additional support for Calde but that was about the only place he didn't crop up.

james

May 14, 2004
Lindfield
What happened after the game? As I was stuck in traffic driving out of Portman road, an ITFC knocked on my window and apologised for all the homophobic abuse our fans got as they left the ground.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The most worrying thing isn't the performance, but the fact OG doesn't think we played that badly...

It wouldn't be the first time either which is another worry.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The most worrying thing isn't the performance, but the fact OG doesn't think we played that badly...

I wonder if this is just for the press. Some managers tend to slag the team off in front of the press, if we see a reaction on Tuesday night then i'm sure that Oscar has done his talking in private. Rest assured the video of the game will get played to the players on Monday and the performance (or non) will be dissected.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is it fair to judge Bruno as a midfielder a) on one performance, b) in a match where everyone failed to do their jobs. Perhaps if the rest of the team were on form he would have fitted there more easily, perhaps he needs a few games there. Don't forget he's been out for a while so won't be match fit so people need to take that into account, too. (Not saying it is right to pick him ahead of other options, just whether that position is a good one or not)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I wonder if this is just for the press. Some managers tend to slag the team off in front of the press, if we see a reaction on Tuesday night then i'm sure that Oscar has done his talking in private. Rest assured the video of the game will get played to the players on Monday and the performance (or non) will be dissected.

True, I refuse to believe that Oscar thought that we were anything other than complete rubbish today. I cannot think of a single positive from our performance.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Bruno pranced around like a schoolgirl with a eating disorder in midfield, didn't know what he was doing and neither did anyone else.

Bit like his usual performances then?

Cannot understand, when we have a plethora of midfielders, why OG would play a defender who is just recovering from injury in a mifield role?

OG is permitted one poor team selection, but no more.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Bruno dinked through a perfect throughball for Buckley in the first half who mistouched it a little and the chance disappeared. Admittedly, it wasn't a good performance by the Bruns, but i still like to see him around the place cutting in and out and dragging the ball around when those against us don't expect it. I hope he gets fully match-fit and his audacious touch is wholly refound so he can be a tad more of an asset soon.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Makes me wonder whether he's been told to get all his experimenting done this season and have a proper push for promotion next year.

Don't piss about too much at home because you don't want the attendances to fall.

I can't see any other explanation for playing such a light-weight team against a physical side and with those tactics.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bruno dinked through a perfect throughball for Buckley in the first half who mistouched it a little and the chance disappeared. Admittedly, it wasn't a good performance by the Bruns, but i still like to see him around the place cutting in and out and dragging the ball around when those against us don't expect it. I hope he gets fully match-fit and his audacious touch is wholly refound so he can be a tad more of an asset soon.

Have to confess that I thought there were quite a few players who had a worse game, playing in their natural positions.

Bruno completely ruined the shape of midfield. I ended up in the north tier (as with an Ipswich fan) with a super view. Just seemed so obvious from the start! This really was a poor game. Bridders badly missed.
On another note, ended up with confusion at the train station and ended up heading towards Norwich (along with a few others) before getting the right train back to Ipswich and then London. Just a shame at Ipswich we came across some aggressive middle aged drunk tossers waving reservation tickets at us when we were in their seats (unbeknown to us) even though the carriage was almost empty. Even more disappointing they were Brighton fans.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm amazed no one has mentioned Conway. Barely had a touch and looked woefully off the pace.

As for Bruno, I thought he had some nice touches in the first half but he was no better or worse than most yesterday. Greer had a stinker and no one else really got a grip other than Lua Lua.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting try, with Bruno having a run out in midfired but it did NOT work and hopefully that is a lesson learned. 0 shots on target was quite worrying, notwithstanding the strange attempt from Crofts. If we continue in this vein we are going nowhere, but hopefully we can realise that more quality is needed in many areas playing like that, and hopefully the return of several recent absentees might offer some solutions.
Bring on Tuesday, I mean Wednesday.
Onwards and upwards

:albion2:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Interesting try, with Bruno having a run out in midfired but it did NOT work and hopefully that is a lesson learned. 0 shots on target was quite worrying, notwithstanding the strange attempt from Crofts. If we continue in this vein we are going nowhere, but hopefully we can realise that more quality is needed in many areas playing like that, and hopefully the return of several recent absentees might offer some solutions.
Bring on Tuesday, I mean Wednesday.
Onwards and upwards

:albion2:

But why experiment away to a team with good home form when having worked so hard at Reading & QPR and build confidence and understanding? Rather see it done at home when we have the luxury, like against Bolton. It was a very poor collective performance but the shape and control wasn't there from the off. As you suggest, we have got to hope Oscar is a quick learner.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Is it possibly fair to say that OG will jot have come up against a Mick McCarthy team before?
I mean a lot of teams play very defensive, and try to hit on the counter. But big Mick has made it successful.

A deflected goal here, disallowed penalty there and it could have been different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports