Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Heavy snow across parts of northern England has led to some coronavirus vaccinations being cancelled as people were warned against non-essential travel.

Appointments at the Great Yorkshire Showground and Ripon Racecourse were cancelled this morning, with people told their jabs would be rescheduled.

"Particularly bad conditions" in Huddersfield led health chiefs to warn those due to receive vaccinations at the town's John Smith's Stadium to "only travel if they feel safe and confident in doing so".

Covid testing sites in Catterick and Thornton Le Dale were also shut and appointments rearranged.

In Bingley, West Yorkshire, bad weather stopped Covid-19 home testing teams visiting people, Bradford Council said.

This is why I don't want any snow this year - sorry.

You make a very fair point and maybe this year we can take the no snow show on the chin as a result.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I know I shouldn't even contemplate it but Google threw up a headline from the Daily Express along the lines of... " Beast from the East, -10 C and blizzards expected to swamp the country... " ... your thoughts ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Apologies, I forgot the now weekly snow pictures! They were saying on the local news yesterday that we haven't had this many events here since the 70s.

sn1.jpg

sn2.jpg

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I know I shouldn't even contemplate it but Google threw up a headline from the Daily Express along the lines of... " Beast from the East, -10 C and blizzards expected to swamp the country... " ... your thoughts ?

Well, the Express does have form! Every autumn, it predicts a bitterly-cold winter with 4 months of killer Siberian gales and severe blizzards, and then every March, it predicts a record-breaking 'barbecue summer' with 4-months of 'scorchio' weather!

However, for the last few days, the Met Office's long-range forecast has been predicting high pressure becoming established to the north of the UK next week, and as winds flow clockwise around an anti-cyclone, this would mean bitterly-cold easterly or north-easterly winds originating from Russia and Scandinavia.

These would probably produce snow showers or perhaps longer spells of snow to Eastern and South-East England. However, with this set-up, the really interesting thing is whether low-pressure tries to push up from France - if so, the rain associated with it is likely to turn to persistent snow over southern England as it hits the colder air. This is exactly the scenario which yielded the heavy snow and the 'Beast from the East' 3 years ago.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Suspect this is some clueless journo not understanding the models and/or applying regional specifics (eg Scotland) to a national article in order to create a sensational headline. The models have been spitting out forecast charts for the last couple of days suggesting we could get -10 C temps at the 850 hpa level in the atmosphere. That's roughly 5000 ft ASL, and does *not* normally translate to -10 C at ground level.

-10 C at 850hpa is, usually, a good indicator of snow potential.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Suspect this is some clueless journo not understanding the models and/or applying regional specifics (eg Scotland) to a national article in order to create a sensational headline. The models have been spitting out forecast charts for the last couple of days suggesting we could get -10 C temps at the 850 hpa level in the atmosphere. That's roughly 5000 ft ASL, and does *not* normally translate to -10 C at ground level.

-10 C at 850hpa is, usually, a good indicator of snow potential.

Does seem to be a fairly high degree of model convergence now over an impending pretty severe cold spell starting this weekend...........

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Snow Update

Well, it looks like from Saturday into Sunday we will see a cold Easterly wind established over the UK, and temperatures will drop considerably.

The synoptics are similar to those I posted about a week ago.

Once established, we can expect snow showers or longer spells of snow from Sunday, mainly on the exposed Eastern coast, but pushing further inland at times. Details are hard to tie down just yet, but Monday and maybe Tuesday look the snowiest days if this setup occurs.

At the moment it looks like we might see milder conditions back by Thursday, but that's not certain.

More details as things develop.

cold sussex.gif

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
First Metoffice weather warning for Snow / Ice issued for Sunday, and it includes Sussex

Sunday.JPG

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
But what is uncle Spielberg’s take on this ? Currently 8 degrees Celsius, no snow ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
But what is uncle Spielberg’s take on this ? Currently 8 degrees Celsius, no snow ?

5 C by day 1 C by night, cold rain on the coast, it has in's own climate and 2 c higher than just 5 - 10 miles inland, maybe a light dusting north sussex and top of the downs

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Looks like fairly constant snow showers across most of Sussex for Sunday and Monday. Will be a bit hit and miss as to where it falls heaviest but looks likely we will get some this time round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here