Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How cold are those blues? I can't see a temperature key (just the three digit numbers at the bottom of the screen).

View attachment 69960

Probably not cold enough here, but with the High ridging towards Greenland and a deep low drawing polar air south, the evolution from THERE would be very interesting.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Probably not cold enough here, but with the High ridging towards Greenland and a deep low drawing polar air south, the evolution from THERE would be very interesting.

I think the writing is on the wall. We have had SW winds for 6 weeks in a row now and for the next 2 weeks at least. Temperatures could get back up to mid 60s f next week again and night time minimums of 14C 57f. It would need a drop of 30F for any chance of snow. I think it will be another 3-4 months of SW, lots of rain, very windy and very mild this winter. All that crap a month ago about the jet stream being in a position for a very cold winter was just nonsense

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think the writing is on the wall. We have had SW winds for 6 weeks in a row now and for the next 2 weeks at least. Temperatures could get back up to mid 60s f next week again and night time minimums of 14C 57f. It would need a drop of 30F for any chance of snow. I think it will be another 3-4 months of SW, lots of rain, very windy and very mild this winter. All that crap a month ago about the jet stream being in a position for a very cold winter was just nonsense

You mean the crap from the Daily Express - of course it's crap.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
You mean the crap from the Daily Express - of course it's crap.

:lol::lol::lol:

Every March, the Express predicts a record-breaking 'barbecue summer', and every October, it forecasts a bitterly-cold Arctic winter.

Its long-range weather predictions are about as accurate and reliable as the news it publishes!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The 06z is interesting... :)...

So it seems like it is either going to be warmer than average or colder than average at the end of the month, but not average...

Yes, just looked it at - there's a slight chance of snow, but only a max of 10%

GFS 6Z Ensemble 13 Nov 15.png

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm heartily SICK of all this constant drab mild weather. Aggravates the hell out of me, its impossible to know what to WEAR when you step out the door. A coat feels like far too much, but then it can turn a bit PARKY later on, especially if the wind whips up.

Its November. Its supposed to be fricking cold by now, or at least decidedly CHILLY. Sort it out.

I am totally with you. I hate the inbetween weather, when a light jacket is always possibly needed, but a coat is always too warm. Just crap, bring on the proper cold or just dont bother. It seems like we get inbetween weather now for about 8 months of the year.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am totally with you. I hate the inbetween weather, when a light jacket is always possibly needed, but a coat is always too warm. Just crap, bring on the proper cold or just dont bother. It seems like we get inbetween weather now for about 8 months of the year.

We don't get seasons anymore in this country just the same weather all year around. Several night times this month the temperatures have been higher than some nights in July and August. It is about 5C below most days in August and this November is above the average May temperatures. We just get week after week of SW winds

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Yeah, we get cool wet summers and mild wet winters. I hate them.

I like proper seasons. I want warm, occasionally hot, sunny summers, and cold, snowy, winters; guess I should live somewhere like Germany or Switzerland!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
We don't get seasons anymore in this country just the same weather all year around. Several night times this month the temperatures have been higher than some nights in July and August. It is about 5C below most days in August and this November is above the average May temperatures. We just get week after week of SW winds

I blame the Jet Stream. Coming over here, bringing its rain and mild south-westerly winds with it. I wish it would sod off up to Iceland!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I blame the Jet Stream. Coming over here, bringing its rain and mild south-westerly winds with it. I wish it would sod off up to Iceland!

I'd prefer it to dive into France, or northern Spain. That would allow arctic air to head our way.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'd prefer it to dive into France, or northern Spain. That would allow arctic air to head our way.

Anywhere that allows a strong blocking anti-cyclone to establish itself over Scandinavia, and feed in easterly winds and snow across the southern half of Britain - although this would be better (and more likely) in January or February.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Anywhere that allows a strong blocking anti-cyclone to establish itself over Scandinavia, and feed in easterly winds and snow across the southern half of Britain - although this would be better (and more likely) in January or February.

All the discussion about El Nino suggested that the best correlation with cold weather here is later in the winter Jan - Feb.

Of course, that's the ideal snow scenario for Sussex, but it's so hard to get the right setup. Most UK cold comes from Northerlies, with ridging in the Atlantic. Now, this can develop into an Easterly, as long as low pressure is able to push down into France, but once again, it's a tricky evolution to get right.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
All the discussion about El Nino suggested that the best correlation with cold weather here is later in the winter Jan - Feb.

Of course, that's the ideal snow scenario for Sussex, but it's so hard to get the right setup. Most UK cold comes from Northerlies, with ridging in the Atlantic. Now, this can develop into an Easterly, as long as low pressure is able to push down into France, but once again, it's a tricky evolution to get right.

That's all well and good, but I think you are aware that your job around here is to make it SNOW on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day then nice and bright on Boxing Day.

No excuses this year. My kids are counting on you...

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm not saying we're definitely going to get snow, but in about week (Saturday) we're likely to get a blast of cold air with a currently low chance. Further North could see some. This seems to mark a change to a colder spell, into the following week, with more NW winds.

graphe_ens3_ksh8.gif

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
On Friday night on the top road that we use to travel over to my partners family in Saddleworth it was sleeting heavily at the highest point which peaks at about 1,600ft. As soon as we dropped down the other side it was rain again. Next Saturday and Tuesday is showing as snow up here on some sights. Any idea if it will amount to anything and time to dig out the sledge?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here