Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Flex Your Head

Lovely frosty, misty mornings over the last couple of days...

Misty Dog.jpg

...but the forecasts seem to be offering up very little other than dull days with temps between 7c and 10c. I know that's fairly typical for the time of year, but is there anything more exciting on the horizon, be that a heatwave or snowmageddon?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Lovely frosty, misty mornings over the last couple of days...

View attachment 49416

...but the forecasts seem to be offering up very little other than dull days with temps between 7c and 10c. I know that's fairly typical for the time of year, but is there anything more exciting on the horizon, be that a heatwave or snowmageddon?

My view is the down here there's a very low chance of snow between now and Christmas (included) and the trend will be towards a more usettled outlook, as the main High Pressure retreats a little into Europe, allowing low pressure systems to push further SE than previously.

So, we'll have mainly mild weather, with colder spells behind Cold fronts (usual stuff). Xmas Day looks unsettled and potentially wet.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Minus 2 in Lewes at 6.15 this morning. Get to 5-ways in Brighton and it was +7. As i went down Preston Drove, the temp went down every few hundred yards until it got to +1

Get to work....6.40 ish and no ice on the pond in the Rockery, Two hours later and the whole pond is iced over !!!!!

Weird.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Minus 2 in Lewes at 6.15 this morning. Get to 5-ways in Brighton and it was +7. As i went down Preston Drove, the temp went down every few hundred yards until it got to +1

Get to work....6.40 ish and no ice on the pond in the Rockery, Two hours later and the whole pond is iced over !!!!!

Weird.

Under a high pressure the coldest places will be in valleys, where the cold air can collect under clear skies and the ground cools by radiative cooling (the air in contact with the ground will cool and flow down hill to collect in hollows and valleys). So, any hills will be warmer.

6:40 is still a little short of sunrise, so you would expect the temp to continue to drop. I beleive sunrise in Brighton is about 7:50 at the moment, so you've for about an hour before the sun rises to stop the cooling.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Thanks Papa, unfortunately as the Rockery faces north east and has tall buildings and tree all around the sides and back, we see virtually no sun from the end of October to March. I can be out there, thick frost and ice wearing gloves, hats, scarfs etc whilst my colleagues over in Preston park are walking around in T-shirts !!!!

The frost always seems at it's worst about an hour or so before sunrise.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2013-14 season]

Warmest December I can ever ever remember. T shirt sitting in the sun on 3 consecutive days...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just before Xmas a cold front will come down from the North. We will have an Arctic blast of very cold air. The WHOLE country will then be under a BLANKET of snow with up to 30 cm of snow in places. It will be -15 C with the windchill. Soup will run out and people will barely get through 25/12 DESPERATE to find a retail outlet open to stock up on bread and milk. Be warned good people.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Just before Xmas a cold front will come down from the North. We will have an Arctic blast of very cold air. The WHOLE country will then be under a BLANKET of snow with up to 30 cm of snow in places. It will be -15 C with the windchill. Soup will run out and people will barely get through 25/12 DESPERATE to find a retail outlet open to stock up on bread and milk. Be warned good people.

Better get the barbeque out, US has spoken.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My view is the down here there's a very low chance of snow between now and Christmas (included) and the trend will be towards a more usettled outlook, as the main High Pressure retreats a little into Europe, allowing low pressure systems to push further SE than previously.

So, we'll have mainly mild weather, with colder spells behind Cold fronts (usual stuff). Xmas Day looks unsettled and potentially wet.
Rubbish - the Daily Express was confidently forecasting winter disaster only recently - it must be true 'cos its in the papers

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/448115/Christmas-weather-forecast-Winter-storms-warning-as-snow-gales-and-floods-threaten-UK

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Big Nor’ Easter barreling into New York at the minute, about 3” so far with more on the way.

CAM00130.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Re: The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2013-14 season]

Better get the barbeque out, US has spoken.

Ha ha, off now to find my shorts.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2013-14 season]

Despite the Daily Express's doom predictions it was 15 degrees at 11.30pm last night in North Wales. We are generally lucky if it's that warm at night in August.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The only location it seems to be snowing now is on my iPad! :xmas:

Yep. The next week to 10 days looks very unsettled overall, with any colder weather restricted to the north. Xmas Day looks potentially stormy and wet. There's a small chance of snow showers to the North and NW at times, as cold air digs in behind cold fronts as depressions pass through, but only fleeting, and unlikely to reach down here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here