Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Athletic

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
...for 3 months, then £7.99 a month, so £59 for a year.

If you intend to stick around for longer than the 3 months, you'd be better off taking the DFF-like 50% offer that seems to be on permanently.

I can’t justify annual sub anymore so went to cancel and got an extra month free. Will see if there are other offers when that rolls off.

Presumably as a former subscriber you can’t take up a 50% off offer if there is one at the time.

I enjoy what I read but it’s not yet my go to for exclusive stuff.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I can’t justify annual sub anymore so went to cancel and got an extra month free. Will see if there are other offers when that rolls off.

Presumably as a former subscriber you can’t take up a 50% off offer if there is one at the time.

I enjoy what I read but it’s not yet my go to for exclusive stuff.

I did the same. If i can't get the 50% again, i will just take up the offer under a different name and email.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
...for 3 months, then £7.99 a month, so £59 for a year.

If you intend to stick around for longer than the 3 months, you'd be better off taking the DFF-like 50% offer that seems to be on permanently.
I've just re-checked, and it's definitely 12 months at £1 pm
252830246178541a34ec7b6498b473ca.jpg

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
£1 per month for 12 months for me...

athletic.PNG

Might be because I would be a first time subscriber, not a returning lapsed one?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Looks like I signed up to an annual subscription at £36 for the year, and will renew at £60. I'm not entirely sure it's worth £60.

Athletics foot.jpg
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] Do you know what has happened to Football Whispers? Used to have some decent articles, but just looks junk now?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looks like I signed up to an annual subscription at £36 for the year, and will renew at £60. I'm not entirely sure it's worth £60.

View attachment 128910
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] Do you know what has happened to Football Whispers? Used to have some decent articles, but just looks junk now?

Not really sure - I think they changed their business model.

They were paying a ridiculous amount for sites to send users to them. I can't remember the specifics now, but it was something like £6 per thousand users. Now, that might not sound like much, but NSC earns a small fraction of that per thousands users from ads on the site, so for a site to pay £6 and, presumably, to be earning more on top of that to pay their overheads and try to turn a profit is quite something.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I signed up last week on the £1 a month for 12 months deal. Massively underwhelmed to be honest. Mostly opinion pieces with views that can be gained from podcasts like Totally Football or the Guardian, that are gratis.

Naylor is still a useless b@stard with no unique insight as well.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Not really sure - I think they changed their business model.

They were paying a ridiculous amount for sites to send users to them. I can't remember the specifics now, but it was something like £6 per thousand users. Now, that might not sound like much, but NSC earns a small fraction of that per thousands users from ads on the site, so for a site to pay £6 and, presumably, to be earning more on top of that to pay their overheads and try to turn a profit is quite something.

Yes I remember you mentioning it a few times, crazy amount of money. I don't actually remember them having many adverts either, so I suppose they were gathering data in advance of this betting-focused re-launch. Site is basically useless now. :shrug:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

View attachment 128910

Same for me. My bank app just alerted me I'd just spent £59.99.....turns out the subscription auto renews.

I like it but like you not sure its worth £60 as I don't read it enough to warrant spending that much.

Have cancelled my sub.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do these attempts at monetising tinternet in the field of News EVER really work? Can't think of a single success in that field. News Is News. The Athletic was clearly doomed earlydoors. Oh well :shrug:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Do these attempts at monetising tinternet in the field of News EVER really work? Can't think of a single success in that field. News Is News. The Athletic was clearly doomed earlydoors. Oh well :shrug:

Not sure The Athletic is failing is it? Anyway, it's not a news site, as such.

PS New York Times gained 2m+ digital subscribers last year alone....

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

I'm not sure that The Athletic is doomed. I'd guess plenty of people are renewing for less than £59.99.
I managed to renew after 12 months for £30 with a bit of jigery pokery with e-mail addresses.

In my opinion it's one of the best sources for in-depth stories with some excellent writers.

The Athletic may be struggling, it may be succeeding, but it's certainly worth reading.
I reckon I'd be happy to pay about £40 a year.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure The Athletic is failing is it? Anyway, it's not a news site, as such.

PS New York Times gained 2m+ digital subscribers last year alone....

Fair play, if true. Which it might be, on account of the sheer numbers and the sheer New York DIASPORA. Fear mightily for the likes of the Argus tho, if their subsciption-based effort is as seriously sloppy as their online effort. Based on current output, hardly seems worth saving. Which seems a shame :shrug:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Last year I was paying £3.99 a month, then cancelled and set up a new email, now paying £1 a month. Great value if you can get a decent deal.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Having worked in print and online media for 25 years it does make me a little sad to see so many people desperately chopping and changing ways in order to get the cheapest price they can. The people creating the content need, like you and I, to be paid for their work. if you don't pay for it (and by that I mean a fair price) then it will die, and you'll be left with Ad driven content that solely exists in order to make you buy their products, or PR led nonsense with no factual accuracy whatsoever. This is not just about the Athletic, but all content providers (newspapers, magazines etc either in print or digital)

Pay a fair price if you value the content - it's simple.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Having worked in print and online media for 25 years it does make me a little sad to see so many people desperately chopping and changing ways in order to get the cheapest price they can. The people creating the content need, like you and I, to be paid for their work. if you don't pay for it (and by that I mean a fair price) then it will die, and you'll be left with Ad driven content that solely exists in order to make you buy their products, or PR led nonsense with no factual accuracy whatsoever. This is not just about the Athletic, but all content providers (newspapers, magazines etc either in print or digital)

Pay a fair price if you value the content - it's simple.

I agree regular robert, but in this example, the Athletic is charging £7 pcm for all sports content, which on the face of it is decent, basically two fancy coffees. However, I personally only read the Brighton articles, so it's probably about £7 per article, which is terrible value. I appreciate some might pore through many more - I'd rather they offered an alternative wallet option and I could pay £0.50 per article or something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here