Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Athletic

scooter1

How soon is now?
last time I looked at the £1 offer, it was for 6 months and then £7.99 a month which = £53.94.

Can you cancel after 6 months? I've just seen that you can cancel anytime, but in order to keep taking advantage you'll need a different e-mail address.... Some may be arsed to do this, i'm not

You can subscribe for 1 year for £51.99. I was offered a renewal at £41.99 after I contacted customer service, and then 48 hours later they removed the offer.
I enjoyed my subscription, but with no real effort in customer retention I moved on. If there is a decent story to read then 12ft ladder resolves that for me

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I took out the original promotional subscription at £29, something and shared the log in details with my son. I then cancelled after the first year and he got a half priced deal.
He then shared his details with me.
He then cancelled before the end of his year’s subscription.
. I kept getting messages on Instagram about joining The Athletic for £9.99 a year, so signed up last month. Once again I have passed my login details to son (he lives away from home). So for £9.99 for a year it’s brilliant, just need to remember to cancel before next year’s payment of £59.99 is due!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think the £1.99 a month is about its natural level. It's not a bad read, but it is a disposable read. Fair play for monetising any kind of sports writing, but IMHO it's never going to be anywhere near the top of anybody's must-read list

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Think the £1.99 a month is about its natural level. It's not a bad read, but it is a disposable read. Fair play for monetising any kind of sports writing
Agreed. I think it's pretty good, better than most football magazines. Just a shame the Albion content is mostly cheerleading instead of analysis

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I just checked my account at The Athletic and found I was now paying £7:99 a month.

I hit the Cancel Subscription button and got a pop up that offered £1:50 a month to stay - to be taken as an annual payment of £18 next month.

I've agreed to stay and saved myself £6:49 a month (£78 for the year) in less time than it took to type this!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
First season £29.99 now currently on a £1 a month deal with a calendar reminder to cancel

Not sure I’ll renew if I can’t get the same deal, it’s ok but not £50 a year ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Warning for you all. My Athetic subscription just went out today for £60. No reminder email that it was coming to an end and a tough shit read the terms and conditions mail when I questioned it.

Go here and cancel it now if you have an annual sub otherwise the robbing ******** will take the full whack.

https://theathletic.com/settings/

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I just checked my account at The Athletic and found I was now paying £7:99 a month.

I hit the Cancel Subscription button and got a pop up that offered £1:50 a month to stay - to be taken as an annual payment of £18 next month.

I've agreed to stay and saved myself £6:49 a month (£78 for the year) in less time than it took to type this!

I've just done the same. Top tip that, thanks!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Warning for you all. My Athetic subscription just went out today for £60. No reminder email that it was coming to an end and a tough shit read the terms and conditions mail when I questioned it.

Go here and cancel it now if you have an annual sub otherwise the robbing ******** will take the full whack.

Thanks for that, saved me £60 which would have come out next month. They normally email you and try and get you to subscribe on another deal, glad you said about the £60 auto charge. Happy to pay for it, but not at £60 a year.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Got another month left on my £1 a month deal wit diary reminder in place

Just had a look and when I went to cancel they’ve offered me a “one off” renewal for £1.50 a month for 12 months

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

They did that to me too. I sent a very stern short email telling them that it was debited without notice and was unauthorised. I wanted it back and said I couldn't afford it now. I got an auto reply saying tough luck. I responded to that as being unacceptable and repeated it was unauthorised and I couldn't afford it. Hailey from The Athletic replied and gave me a full refund. Then I kept checking the site and renewed for £18. The trick is to cancel once it's up and running again and it will only continue till the expiry of your payment. Then you can start again.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Luckily I used an account which never has any money in it so they won't be able to take anything without me depositing funds in advance.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

Thanks for the heads up...got the renewal for £18 if any interest happy to say thank you by giving you a £40 discount on one of my experience days with GB Athletes ...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Thanks for the heads up...got the renewal for £18 if any interest happy to say thank you by giving you a £40 discount on one of my experience days with GB Athletes ...

Thankyou for the offer. Hobbling around on my dodgy knee in the company of pro athletes would make me feel more of a fat git than I do already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here