Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ashley Barnes thread for the Reading game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Always liked him and he seems to have brought his petulance under control, I didn't see him confront a player or the ref yesterday and he didn't go down easily either. The first time shot on the volley was absolute quality.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Peter Ward was one of our most inconsistent forwards ever and he's GOD!! He could be out of the game for 88 minutes then score two late goals to win the match for us.

Ash just needs to carry on improving as he has done since he's been with us and he'll turn into a decent striker. Nobody can fault his work rate, he just needs to get 1 in 3 on target rather than the 1 in 5 that he does at the moment.

By the very nature of the word, every striker in the world is inconsistent. They simply do not score in game after game. They are confidence players and they have ' hot streaks ' and then they can go 6-8-10 games where they do very little. The best strikers fill their boots when they are on a hot streak. They score in clusters, two a game for two games, then a single, then nothing for two games, then a double again. Seven in six games. Its a typical scenario. They are also reliant on the players around them. If the service dries up, so do the goals.
If you look at top goalscorers like Lineker and Greaves, their international records feature four goals in a game as well as more than one hattrick. They score in clusters and fill their boots when they are on song. They know they will have barren spells so the cluster goals are their insurance.
Wardy was the same. Little streaks of form..six, eight games, then drying up again. There would be enough goals in those streaks to tide him over. CMS ( despite all the criticism ) is a confidence player. Little streaks of goalscoring, then off the boil. Zamora was the same.
Barnes is similar. He needs to be given time and can only be judged if he plays upfront, down the middle for 30+ games. Is that going to happen? Unlikely.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nobody can fault his work rate, he just needs to get 1 in 3 on target rather than the 1 in 5 that he does at the moment.

Why? Why does Ashley Barnes, a player at a championship side, have to have a better conversion rate than most of the worlds top strikers to be considered good enough for us?

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The volley yesterday was stunning, shame it didnt go in.

Long been a fan of Barnes, fantastic player with great work rate. He looked superb yesteday.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Did he score or not? Oscar's press conference could have ben a Poyet press conference last season and the season before, bemoaning our players missing chances. Its a results business. Barnes, CMS in fact all the current side get the colleywobbles in front of goal. They cant score without missing numerous chances, until they change that, then none of them are worth much.

Personally I think it says something that the reading keeper was MOTM yesterday according to Sky Sports. And while last year we might have been bemoaning the lack of shots and so on, yesterday there were 20, according to the BBC stats, 5 of which were on target - both figures better than Reading.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I know messageboards, and the internet in general, attract a lot of clueless oddballs, but I can honestly say I've never been as bemused about anything as I am about the amount of people who allude to knowing something about football who still don't rate Barnes. Absolute fools.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
He's one of the most inconsistent players I've seen in a long time. He'll go from having a blinder, looking like he could be our answer to the striker problem, then the week after he's shit. He's still young, and I reckon in 2 years time he'll be playing Premier League football.

Yeah, for us :)

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I don't know what he did to pass the time during his tripgate suspension but since he returned he has been superb. He always puts in a shift but seems to have become more intelligent with both his positioning and what he does when receiving the ball.

While a loan striker would be welcomed, three games with Barnes up top isn't the end of the world

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not really any need to be a **** because I've put my opinion on a Brighton and Hove Albion fans message board that is there for fans to put their opinions on, is there? Dickhead.

That's weird. You called me a tosser the other day for writing my opinion on football....

:bigwave:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know messageboards, and the internet in general, attract a lot of clueless oddballs, but I can honestly say I've never been as bemused about anything as I am about the amount of people who allude to knowing something about football who still don't rate Barnes. Absolute fools.

Hard to disagree with this. He looks like a quality player pretty much every week now.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
three games with Barnes up top isn't the end of the world

I'm genuinely looking FORWARD to his three games up top.

Ulloa is clearly a class above (not just Barnes, everyone) so I'd obviously prefer Leo up there, but I think Barnes can count himself quite unlucky to have such an excellent player in front of him. If we can let him get on with being a centre forward in these 3 games and making the intelligent runs into the 6 yard box then I have quite a bit of confidence that KLL, Buckley, Lopez can find him.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Ashley Barnes is always involved when he plays at centre-forward and I think, bizarrely, that's why he sometimes gets some stick. He has a knack of getting into good positions as he showed again yesterday but sometimes the finish lets him down (although his technique seems to have got better and better). The games where people moan the most are usually the ones where he's had half a dozen chances or more. That in itself is an achievement but some fans just can't see it. If he just strolled through the game like some strikers, hardly getting a touch, they'd just talk about how well the opposition defence played.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Imagine if we didn't have Barnes and he was at say Huddersfield with exactly the same stats as he had for us .

Say we sign him today on a 3 month loan, this board would be wetting selfs with excitement .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Whatever happened to Mr Burns?

Matt Richards

Jan 22, 2009
For what it is worth I have traditionally been a 'Barnes Hater' and would not have been disappointed had he left the club over the summer. Whilst he has always had an excellent positional sense and tracks back very well to support the rest of the team, his first touch has been suspect, his temprament has been awful (both through the Burnley and Tripgate sendings off and his desire to throw himself to the floor and moan at the referee at least 4 times a game) and his finishing has not been as good as other strikers at this level.

I have noticed a difference since he returned from Tripgate and have to admit that the 30 mins he played yesterday was the best I have seen him for the Albion. This was not just about his volley (which was very good) and the run he made for the chance that was saved but for his general attitude which I thought was much better. The best example of this (and the point that finally made me think he could convince people like me that we were wrong) was an incident where the ball was played up to him which he laid off before getting clattered from behind. Sensing there was a decent break on he pulled himself up, put in a 20 yard burst and took the ball forward to instigate another attack.

I am convinced that the Barnes of this time last season would not have done this and would have rolled around the floor for a bit. Whether this is due to him growing up after Tripgate or if it is Oscar Garcia not putting up with the theatricals that Gus not only put up with but also demonstarted himself on the touchlime every game is to be guessed at.

Either way, credit where it is due and 6 goals over the next 3 games please Ashley!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here