[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I’m about 50 miles due west of Manchester and it’s absolutely pissing down. If this is headed their way that’ll be it I would think.
I hate to be the one to break it to you but that isn't rain. It is called the sea.

map.PNG

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
some of the covers coming off ... Maybe they've found some better ones?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Cricket certainly doesn’t help itself. Can’t start in light rain but can keep playing in light rain for example.

But in todays case there’s no chance the pitch would’ve been fit for play at 11. The groundsman obviously can’t start the clearing process until the rain has stopped, to even get to the stage where the umpires can give a proper inspection. It’s also unfair for any batsman to be ‘ready’ at the drop of the hat. In the unlikely scenario conditions suddenly change and becomes immediately playable you can’t just say to batsman and bowlers you’re on right now.

Why more overs were not bowled when conditions were better is another debate however. This weather was not a surprise.
They have to be ready at the drop of wicket though.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
It’s silly, 5 days should be 5 days, if a day is a wash out then that particular day shouldn’t be counted as one of the 5. It’s annoying, always has been, but nothing will change whilst the game is run by old white gents stinking of piss and brandy.

Drunk GIF

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It’s silly, 5 days should be 5 days, if a day is a wash out then that particular day shouldn’t be counted as one of the 5. It’s annoying, always has been, but nothing will change whilst the game is run by old white gents stinking of piss and brandy.

Drunk GIF
Unfortunately, it's not run by old white gents stinking of piss and brandy.
It's run by businessmen in suits who only care about making money.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Unfortunately not going to happen . Rain for rest of day . Bloody cricket laws stuck in the 1890s crazy they can’t play tomorrow when it’s sunny all day . Makes the last test at oval pointless
I'm still keen for us to win at the Oval to screw up Steve Smith's bucket list wish of winning a series in England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports