[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
As a previous local league player and fan of the game, I’ve always admired the patience of everyone involved in cricket! Waiting all day in miserable weather in the (usually vain) hope of getting an hour or two’s play in!

Like queuing, it is something us English excel at! 👏

Fingers crossed there is actually a bit of play now, I’m not confident!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[If it happens] - Australia will have retained the Ashes by taking their chances when presented to them

We've taken our chances when they were presented too, but suddenly rain means the chance we've been presented wasn't a chance after-all.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It'll also go down in the history books. Australia would have retained the ashes by being completely outplayed - brilliant.
Could be worse, the Aussies retained the women’s Ashes even though England won more games.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
We did think about going to the National Football Museum or a tour of OldTrafford/the Etihad but decided looking upwards there was a chance of play so came down to the cricket instead. I was amazed how many people were here already, given the weather this morning, let’s hope we are not all disappointed (except the convicts, of course!)
When sussex played a few years ago and the morning was rained off went to Man Utd for a tour

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Accuweather minutecast says near to no rain until 6pm now, looking very positive 🤞
Fingers crossed but Accuweather have a bit of a reputation as being the mavericks of the meteorological world.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not many from where the wind is coming from.
1690033101185.png

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Chap in North Shropshire on TMS says they’ve had no rain for 3 hours and that’s where the weather is coming from

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
14.45 start. I feel like I'm being tortured here.

Anyway, I have to say what a splendid addition Mark Taylor is to the commentary team. Just talk sensibly. Really interesting bloke.
Did you watch his interview with Atherton on a fishing trip in the Test Valley (shown around lunch today). Very enjoyable watch. Possible candidates for a Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing spinoff ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What the folk think about Barstow standing up to Marsh ? Not sure he would take an edge.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Did you watch his interview with Atherton on a fishing trip in the Test Valley (shown around lunch today). Very enjoyable watch. Possible candidates for a Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing spinoff ?
No I missed that, need to try and see it. Do you know if it’s available on catch up anywhere?

The Test Valley is a Hampshire gem, love it there.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes I watch that when I saw the faux-live recording last night. I'm watching live today

It was interesting how he talked about being from the country but now living in the city. There is an absolute world of difference between the outback and the city life over there. I have a few tales I could tell, including being approached in an outback pub by a married couple who thought that the female traveler with me was my girlfriend and they wanted to do a swap for the night, him for her and me for his wife. On the same night a very large female in the pub, with muscles that would impress the finest of boxers, asked me if I wanted drugs. I simply said fearfully 'Do I have to ?'

That weren't any locks on the guest's room door that night. It's fair to say we had trouble sleeping. We were only there because the car had broken down.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just in a train go past. Bliss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports