[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Looking forward to all the posts saying how great test cricket is, and how anyone who thinks otherwise if a fool

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
MetOffice now saying today’s dry from say 12:30pm.

If that pans out, will the outfield etc be deemed safe for play?
And tomorrow now looks far worse. So, hopefully a couple of hours today. Going to be a tall ask to get six wickets - making the playing on after lunch yesterday looking less advisable. If they'd been 7 or 8 down it might have been a different story.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Screenshot_20230722-111418~2.png

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
And tomorrow now looks far worse. So, hopefully a couple of hours today. Going to be a tall ask to get six wickets - making the playing on after lunch yesterday looking less advisable. If they'd been 7 or 8 down it might have been a different story.

It's hard to judge that.. with a smaller deficit the Aussies may well have batted differently, with different results. Who knows?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I thought we might even have got level and then declared. If we don’t bowl them out, or have time to do that, getting nearly 600 ends up being pointless.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
MetOffice now saying today’s dry from say 12:30pm.

If that pans out, will the outfield etc be deemed safe for play?
Old Trafford drains really badly from memory doesn’t it? I’m sure I remember there being pools and pools of water on it in one summer recently

Tomorrow there will definitely be dry spells, I’ve used accuweather for years + their ‘minutecast’ and always found them very reliable, much more so than BBC when it comes to changeable weather, BBC just seem to hedge their bets, rain sun and a cloud.. that’s helpful.

I reckon they will get at least 30/40 overs in tomorrow, relies on luck obviously as it’s a showery scenario tomorrow.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's hard to judge that.. with a smaller deficit the Aussies may well have batted differently, with different results. Who knows?
Indeed. I think this weekend’s forecast has actually influenced every phase of the tactics in this match right back to the toss. The beauty of test cricket @Triggaaar :) , Like a game of outdoor chess for the captains (especially) and the approach of the players.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've got a (for me) quite sizeable bet on the draw as 'disappointment insurance'. £50 at 5/2 placed when I looked at the weather forecast on Tuesday.

If England win I'll be absolutely delighted, if it's a draw I can cheer myself up with a gluttonous quantity of seafood and fine wine.

Odds on I get a dodgy oyster and end up sick as a dog after being sick as a parrot.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Reverse swing is completely removed as a weapon if the ball is not kept absolutely bone dry.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed. I think this weekend’s forecast has actually influenced every phase of the tactics in this match right back to the toss. The beauty of test cricket @Triggaaar :) , Like a game of outdoor chess for the captains (especially) and the approach of the players.

You say 'beauty' and 'chess', but if the weather is as predicted, it won't have made a difference who won the toss, how well one team played, or how badly the other team played - regardless of all 'chess' like thinking, and regardless of all sporting prowess, the result will be a draw as determined by weather. It's stupid.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You say 'beauty' and 'chess', but if the weather is as predicted, it won't have made a difference who won the toss, how well one team played, or how badly the other team played - regardless of all 'chess' like thinking, and regardless of all sporting prowess, the result will be a draw as determined by weather. It's stupid.
No different to 1 day matches TBF. One of my kids went to the Roses T20 match at OT a few weeks ago with a group of friends. Spent some time in the bar dodging the showers then gave up. The match was abandoned without a ball bowled.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Odds on the draw continuing to drift on Betfair, with an England win slowly coming the other way.

Currently 60% draw, 40% England.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No different to 1 day matches TBF. One of my kids went to the Roses T20 match at OT a few weeks ago with a group of friends. Spent some time in the bar dodging the showers then gave up. The match was abandoned without a ball bowled.
Yes, although with a 1 day match you only lose 1 day. Here we've had the best part of 3 days play, everyone is still hanging on for another 2 days (the players can't leave), so 5 days can be wasted, and the winner of the ashes determined. It's completely mindless. There's an easy solution - 5 day matches could have a 6th day available such that a minimum of 360 overs (4 days play) is played, and if a team can't win in that time, then the other team has earned a draw.

What decent sports just call it a draw because of the weather? Things like tennis and golf return the next day, football matches get postponed if necessary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports