[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not saying Australia are planning on wasting time but I hear this guy is giving the team talk
IMG_0417.jpeg

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Driving in to work Thursday my wife, who has no interest in cricket, asked why they are playing a 5 day game that, quite literaly, wont be finished. I couldn't give an answer.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Per match chit chat on Sky ... Looks promising for starting on time

Hoorah

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember the rest day on the Sunday being a standard part of the test match schedule well into the 90s, as it was particularly frustrating to only be able to watch one day of the tests that took place before the school holidays had started. Wednesday to Sunday probably makes most commercial sense as you're far more likley to fill a ground with pay-on-the-gate fans on a Sunday if a result looks possible.

Anyway, the good news is that the light rain in Manchester has stopped and there's even a few patches of blue sky. Should be on for an 11am start.
Yes. I have a feeling Sunday was trialled at Manchester in 1981. Botham's 118 was on a Sunday in front of a huge crowd. I was a kid on holiday in Paignton and missed it to much disgruntlement.

'Disgruntlement' I don't think I've used that word before.

EDIT: It seem both us have remembered things well. You a bit better than me. From Cricinfo:

'If 1997 was the year of extinction, the English rest day had been endangered for many years. The first Sunday of Test cricket in England was at Trent Bridge in 1981, soon followed by Old Trafford and Edgbaston - where the crowd were treated to Ian Botham's famous 5 for 1. In each case the start was at mid-day, supposedly to allow churchgoing. But at Lord's tradition ruled: no Sunday play and a chilly reception for Botham after he completed a pair with a misjudged sweep'

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Driving in to work Thursday my wife, who has no interest in cricket, asked why they are playing a 5 day game that, quite literaly, wont be finished. I couldn't give an answer.
The answer is the ludicrous rule change that abolished timeless matches. :) We could have had a match like this:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For the weather app watchers, seriously do not bother with the BBC. The Government forced them to ditch the Met office a few years ago for a cheaper option and they now use the people who supply the Daily Express with their headlines.

I find the Meteo Group BBC forecasts incredibly accurate. They predict rain for 1pm , it arrives on the dot, similarly for 5 days ahead. All weather models vary, as the planet doesn’t play ball.

This will be an interesting chance to compare using Old Trafford, currently:

Today - BBC rain probable up to say 1:30, MetOffice 40% chance of rain up to 4pm.
Saturday - both predict a huge volume of rain all day.
Sunday - BBC heavy then light rain all day, MetOffice 40% chance of rain all day and sunshine.

If the rain wins, Australia retain the Ashes, yet again.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I find the Meteo Group BBC forecasts incredibly accurate. They predict rain for 1pm , it arrives on the dot, similarly for 5 days ahead. All weather models vary, as the planet doesn’t play ball.

This will be an interesting chance to compare using Old Trafford, currently:

Today - BBC rain probable up to say 1:30, MetOffice 40% chance of rain up to 4pm.
Saturday - both predict a huge volume of rain all day.
Sunday - BBC heavy then light rain all day, MetOffice 40% chance of rain all day and sunshine.

If the rain wins, Australia retain the Ashes, yet again.
I think the BBC are quite useless and just hedge their bets by saying rain and cloud. Accuweather are usually pretty good and are saying lots of spells with no rain across today and Saturday. I think get a decent lead by mid afternoon and we have plenty of time to bowl them out on what will be horrible batting conditions.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
BBC weather is nearly always absolute rubbish when it comes to mixed conditions IMO, it says 69% chance of thunderstorms now…

Useless.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Starting on time...

and immaculate forward defensive and then a wild yahoo.. which missed. :laugh:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
and Cummins misses a full set from 20 yards when Brook had given up. Another life. Unusually sloppy from the Aussies.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the BBC are quite useless and just hedge their bets by saying rain and cloud. Accuweather are usually pretty good and are saying lots of spells with no rain across today and Saturday. I think get a decent lead by mid afternoon and we have plenty of time to bowl them out on what will be horrible batting conditions.

Accuweather are highly rated by weather enthusiasts.

On the hedging bets, that's a standing joke here ... other than snow, forecasters almost mention every facet of weather, the four seasons in the day ... every day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports